What can I do?

Pixel

Dec 9, 2018
Every evening my mother is ringing me to say that she is being held hostage by a man who she says is not her husband. She is living at home with my father and nothing either of us says will convince her she is safe at home with her husband of 50 years. My father is at his wits end and I don't know what to say/do to alleviate her fears. Has anyone experience of this? What should I do?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Pixel, welcome to the forum.

What you describe is a common symptom of dementia that is being displayed in a dramatic fashion.

If this is a sudden development I would suspect an infection like a UTI, which can cause distressing symptoms. It's worth a visit to the GP to check for that or seek a meds review in any case.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Pixel
a warm welcome from me too
it sounds as though your mum is sundowning, which seems to link with tiredness towards the end of the day
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/symptoms-and-diagnosis/symptoms/sundowning

sadly, she seems to not be recognising your dad as her husband - it may be that she slips back in time and so expects to see the young man she married, rather than how your dad is 50 years on - so it's understandable that shd feels vulnerable with a 'strange' man in her home, and one who is treating her in a very familiar way eg calling her 'love' and sitting on the settee close to her, never mind sharing her bed ... wouldn't anyone feel anxious and unsafe

maybe your dad could tell her that her husband just asked him to sit with her while he ran some errands because you are all such good friends, then leave her be so she doesn't feel 'crowded'

sometimes the mind can be reset eg when your mum thinks your dad is a stranger, he says 'I'll go see if (his name) is around/home yet' and leaves the room ... he changes his shirt or jumper, makes a cuppa and calmly goes back into the room with her after a while with a smile and the cuppa and a treat - if it doesn't work, he backs off to keep her anxiety levels from rising and waits until she has settled

not easy for your dad, I appreciate - explaining, arguing, showing pictures of them together ... won't work - for your mum at that time she is right and trying to talk her round will only confirm to her that something is wrong, and it's not her - just think how you would react if someone who is not your partner were insisting they are! - so calm and distraction are the way to go

do also let her GP know, as karaoke Pete says, as some meds may help

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Portreeve