Hip operation

upsanddownsdays

Jun 14, 2023
My mum fell in her carehome and broke her hip two weeks ago . It's been very traumatic for her ( and us ) but she's back at the carehome now .
How do others cope with the mental anguish of watching their loved one keep picking themselves up after UTIs , falls , delirium etc ? My heart breaks and I find it so upsetting . Mum is so brave , never cries , but I'm finding it harder to watch her suffer this .
She forgets she's broken her hip and is very agitated about the hoist , not sure if that's fear or what . I had to sit with her for a couple of hours to calm her down at the carehome the other day .
Just look at my strong mum and think she doesn't deserve this .
How do others cope ? Xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @upsanddownsdays

I agree how heartbreaking it is to watch your mum suffer. You are suffering as much as she is, if not more.

There is no way out I`m afraid. All you can do is your best and try not to leave yourself with any regrets.

upsanddownsdays

Jun 14, 2023
Now my husband and I have come down with COVID . Obviously run down with all the hospital visits .
Feeling very rough , so grateful my mum is in a good carehome so I can stay in bed feeling like this .

To all others battling with the worry of whether to put their love one in care , do it , in times like this , we would be in such a pickle with mum post operative and us both ill too , and no back up. Not sure how we'd have coped . Makes you realise it was the right decision . Xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a relief you can both rest and recuperate @upsanddownsdays.

It was something I was constantly worrying about when my husband was at home with me. Once he was in residential care at least it was one worry over.

Get well soon.

upsanddownsdays

Jun 14, 2023
Thank you
But you still feel guilty you are unable to visit ! Whatever way you look at it it's impossible to feel ok xx

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
It is the lurching from crisis to crisis which is emotionally wearing. When things are stable I struggle to enjoy the relative calm as I am like a meerkat trying to detect signs of the next acute event.
Sounds like it is similar for you?

upsanddownsdays

Jun 14, 2023
Oh my word yes !!!! That's exactly it , you get one thing sorted then encounter another . It's anticipatory anxiety .
Think that's why we got COVID we are mentally and physically exhausted . So how do you live you own life and be happy with this hovering in the back ground ? Xx