Carer/family support in residential care

HLA

Aug 16, 2021
Hello everyone
I care for my mum, who has been in residential care for the last two years. I remain very active in her care.

Mum has gone into a new care home, and they have no support mechanisms for family members/carers. No newsletter/group email/groups and so forth, like in a previous home, and I want to recommend some ideas.

I strongly feel that us carers are an untapped font of knowledge that can add to the care home setting... not wanting to do anyone's job obvs... but we are a hive-mind of lived experience.

So my question is - what happens in your loved-one's care home that helps you?

What do you think would help you that's not happening?

Any thoughts very welcome!

HX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @HLA

I think care homes have enough to cope with these days, recruiting suitable carers and training them. They are unlikely to appreciate carers telling them how to do better unless they ask for suggestions.

Whatever experience carers have , it is in a family home setting. The setting in care homes is totally different.

What I think family members can do is visit their person with dementia frequently and support carers and the home by supporting carers and the home and chatting to residents who don`t get visitors

HLA

Aug 16, 2021
Hi Sylvia

Thank you very much for your reply, this is really helpful.

I absolutely agree, the care homes are overwhelmed and understaffed, and those who are there are doing a brilliant job. My hope is to see how I can help, and be involved, and support as a whole.

Personally I can see a space where residents' families can help - or would want to help if there was a mechanism to do so - such as helping with gardening or other such things that aren't essential, but hugely beneficial to those with dementia. (and also things carers just don't have time or capacity for - either to do or organise, or fund). And I have experience of this elsewhere.

I like your suggestion of visiting other residents who don't get visitors very often. In the new place, which is brilliant in so many ways, there is no way yet to find out anything about other residents, or people who are not being visited etc, or indeed be in touch with other family members, who I know can be a great support all round to each other.

I should also add their head office does a good job at marketing externally in a sensitive way, but not supporting the care home internally, so the buck stops at the top imho. In no way is it the carers' responsibility.

My intention here is to see what other people in care homes have experienced that have been positive, in a way to support everyone, that might be able to replicate.

What other positive experiences have people had?

Thank you :)

HX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello again @HLA

I used to visit my husband every alternate day and our son visited at the weekend.

Our frequent visits identified residents who did not have visitors, simply because there were always sitting alone in the sitting room.
There was no need to have any further information about them The fact they were always alone was enough.
Slowly and safely we got to know these people. At the same time, when other residents did have visitors we made contact with them, if they wanted it and seeing us interacting with their visitors was another way to help residents feel more a part of the whole.

I joined regular chair exercise and music sessions. Residents were offered hand help instruments and encouraged to engage with the rhythm of know songs.

There are lots of ways to help informally without increasing the workload of staff at the home.

doingmybest1

Feb 28, 2017
Hi HLA

Mum's care home for which she pays £83k outside of London, has quarterly relatives meetings both in person and via zoom, and we are encouraged to ask questions, suggest support and engage with all residents to assist. The care home take able residents out to places, and canvass for people who have time out to help with the residents to take them to local places involving just a few hours, but also an annual event to the sea-side some way from the home involving a whole day's commitment.

They have management staff available to answer questions during Zoom time but also privately on email. They have regular days where the residents and those supporting them come together for fun activities like May day fetes, wine evenings etc. They have activity co-ordinators who regularly show on their website/facebook what residents have been up to and are happy to get feedback and suggestions on what else to do/where to go etc.

I was a carer to Mum for over 6 years whilst holding down a full-time job and living 1.5 hours away from her, before I sadly couldn't cope anymore and had to admit her to a care home with a dementia unit. There were only 2 in her area that would take her.

Mum's home, which is not perfect, is very much a "if you can donate your time" ... please come with us and take all our people out and they advertise and send emails and newsletters to enourage people to give their time.

Mum's home has activities coordinators who do marketing stuff to get the local theatre, school plays, and schools engaged and then they desperately need people who can help with residents to take them out to these offers.

As you've said, the home may have regular staff to look after people but they don't always have the volunteers they need to take residents out of the home and ensure their safety. And whilst they may have Activitiy co-ordinators, there's only a limited number of them so they really need volunteers to help when there is an opportunity to take many people out of the home to an event they would not otherwise experience but is so important for their well-being.

Who visits those who aren't visited and have no relatives and are at later stage Dementia and unable to get out of their beds?

Well there is an issue. But I know that the care staff in Mum's home are there for them but my Mum, like many with middle-late dementia, wander in and out of each others rooms and Mum focuses on those who are in their beds and unable to leave their beds or talk. Some how Mum knows that these people are in crisis, and because they are on her ward, she just gravitates to them.

Initially, when Mum went into the care home, I was told that Mum was constantly going into other people's room, sitting with them, talking rubbish to them (because Mum's dementia means she's can't string sentences together that make sense), it caused me confusion why they let her do this? Sometimes, the people she visited got stressed and shouted out for her to leave, other times, I was told by the care staff, xx person likes her being there.

When I visited Mum, she'd say "I can't go to that room ... they don't like me" and she'd be stressing out about going passed a room, but I later realised that's because she was trying to sit with people who are late dementia and at that stage where whatever anyone does they will shout out "... help me ... help me" over and over for awhile before that phase of their neurons stops firing and they go to later stage where they cannot talk anymore.

Initially I wondered why is Mum on such a ward with such people that will cause her distress and why is she trying to care for them when the normal staff aren't?

It's taken me 2 years of Mum in a care home to understand how this works. Mum will become one of those people. I can't be there 24/7 for Mum. And she will go down hill to that stage.

And there will be new residents who come in, who like Mum, will have their compassion still in place and will try and talk to such people beacuse they think they are helping.

Does the care home stop them doing this. Should they stop Mum going through this emotional journey when she has dementia herself, surely they should protect her?

I'm now at this point where I know my Mum will be one of those people who can't talk, can't get out of their bed, are in "God's waiting room". And maybe they have family who visits them, or maybe they don't, but my Mum is a compassionate person, cares for people and the care home don't stop her from doing what she does because they know that the person who Mum visits is now end of Dementia, and basically, can't talk, is struggling to eat, is perhaps very much end of life, and their relatives can't be there 24/7 but my Mum, because she's there 24/7 and passes their room, she will always go in and she'll sit with them, talk totally rubbish, but she's talking to them, and she also holds their hands when she talks to them.

It's really hard to see this happening in a care home setting with loved ones with this disease and not feel angry that they aren't being looked after but seem to be helping with care home staff because there aren't enought of them to support someone in their care.

But I really have learnt that I put Mum on this ward and in this care home on the understanding that she will be there until she dies and they will look after her and care for her no matter what stage her dementia takes.

Her room is her room. It's like her home. She will never leave it. Mum will become like the lady next to her, who perhaps 5 years previously was as spirited and a good soul as Mum.

I'd like to think that when Mum in a few years time reaches that point where she can't talk, is bed-bound and there is no family member visiting her, that there are other "newer" people with early-middle stage dementia, that have the kindness of heart and compassion, that they visit her room, and talk to her even if what they say doesn't make sense, and they hold her hand.

It's a hard disease to get your head around. My Mum is 83, but she first exhibited this at age 70 and I've been struggling ever since. I'm 65 and have to work full time until 70 because of pension issues, and I'm scared, I'm just 5 years off from facing what I have gone through with my Mum. My Dad died of a heart attack aged 70 and Mum just gave up and left me responsible for her.

It's interesting that now, it seems that we are more responsible for our loved ones thatpreviously. I'm power of attorney, etc and having to spend so much time sorting my Mum's stuff, and now trying to sell her house and her contents, it just feels like I don't have a life any more. It just always seems that my life is about my Mum and caring for her.

I'm sure there are many out there that feel the same.

But HLA, if you have this energy about what care homes do? Can you devote the energy we don't have to change something at a policitical level?

All the best to everyone who reads this post and keep strong - it's hard, but you will get through this.

But

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
At The Banjoman’s home there was a gentleman who was a volunteer befriender who went around a spent time with the residents. He had spent some time as a patient in residential care homes after some head injury I believe. Once he was better he decided to use his experience to help others. He supported people when they had to go to hospital for appointments, he helped them with eating sometimes or went to their room and encouraged them to eat if they were staying there for some reason. He talked with the residents and listened to them. He was a lovely man and came to The Banjoman’s funeral partly to represent the care home but also because he said he had enjoyed talking with him and had learnt so much about Bluegrass music from him.
I suspect that our @kindred does the same thing at the home she visits.

Alberta23

Oct 15, 2023
Hi HLA,
CareRightsUk pushed for Glorias Law and Johns Campaign.
Both are related to residents having access to family members/care supporters who walk alongside care home staff as equals.
I am right behind these Campaigns. If Care Homes are to replicate a persons home, then they should all welcome relatives with open arms. No relative should ever be kept in the dark.
The Patients Association is also pushing for more supportive and transparent working.
I think you are right to want to be involved actively in your mums life. You know her better than anyone, and its important for you to share what you mums needs are.
And your mum still needs your familiar face and kindness. Going into a care home can be very scary for elderly people.
I would contact CareRightsUk. The Team there have great ideas and can also help guide you as to what you can expect from the care home staff.
If staff are really snowed under, any extra help should be received with open arms.
Outward images on websites can be quite deceiving. But if they say they create a family, just remember, you are part of your mums family. Noone can match your relationship.
Keep up wanting the best for your mum.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
There are simple things that can be done informally and without needing any 'organisation'. On Wednesday my wife was being helped to have a drink when the carer was called away to do something more urgent. It was easy for me to help by taking over from the carer. I often have conversations with some of the residents who I know are unsettled. If the dog is with me some residents like to see and stroke him. These are small things done of my own volition that hopefully enhance the lives of residents without impacting on busy staff.

HLA

Aug 16, 2021
Thank you everyone for your replies and experiences. I hear you, and thank you for taking the time to write. All very helpful to hear your lived realities, and what else is out there.

From my perspective, I visit once a week, and my brother visits once every 1-2 months. That is all the visitors she has unfortunately. Mum is only 76 but has mid-late Lewy Body Dementia. She has been in residential care for 2+ years, and was sectioned to psyciatric ward for 3 months (that's another story), and is now in the new care home. There is much to commend the new place, but it has the same challenges of not enough staff, but those who are there are excellent, and I like the manger very much too.
There are many challenges - e.g. they haven't managed to entice mum to have a shower/bath - this is the same in the last 2 years. We have great visits where I can also help wash feet/comb hair, chat, walk about - eat food she likes - and I can help change clothes sometimes. The optimum time for a visit is 1 to 1.5 hours. Not more as it becomes too much. I don't drive so I can't take her out. She has very upsetting hallucinations and delusions etc too.
Sadly mum gets very upset after I leave her, so I need to limit my visits.

In the care home they don't have exercise or music sessions.

So I am wanting to see how I can help support mum - and the care home - in other ways than just me visiting 1-1 with mum because it upsets her - such as providing a beautiful garden space/food/activities - I am training to be a chair exercise instructor specifically for this reason also. Because I know they have only one activities person, I have offered to 'do' the garden, add planting and furniture etc (mum has a little money I can put towards buying plants she would like) . This received no enthusiasm at all, even though I have clearly shown this is an offer of help. In fact I felt I was being turned away.

At the moment the care home does not have a notice board even of events - although they do have some - and there is no way I can find out what else I can help with, other than talking directly to the manager.

I really feel that I can contribute positively to the community there, and I just want to be able to help. My profession is in communications, so I can see some way where I could help.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

HX