• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Wet room

Leske

Aug 2, 2020
I have just joined this forum! My 1st post! My mother has just (last week) been diagnosed as having dementia and we are looking to building a wet room for her as she lives with us (since a broken pelvis last October). Does anyone have any personal experience/recommendations - what to consider/any recommended builders etc? We live in Buckingham - look forward to hearing any ideas/thoughts. Thanks :)

Louise7

Mar 25, 2016
Welcome @Lesley Kragt you'll find lots of friendly advice and support here :) Forum members will not be able to provide recommendations for builders but there are several members who have had wet rooms fitted so will hopefully share advice/tips. If you put 'wet room' into the search bar above you'll find a few previous threads on the subject too. Building work/adaptations to help those with a disability (inc. dementia) qualify for VAT relief in relation to the materials/fitting so worth speaking with your builder about this - details are here: https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vat-relief

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I have worked in so many wet rooms where there is no incline in the level of the floor to encourage the water to go down the plug hole.
I just use towels to create a ‘dam’ to stop the water heading for the door.