Wet Beds

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
My OH with dementia has started with urinal incontinence and I have had to change the bed every day this week so far. I have bought disposable pads and waterproof mattress covers and washable bed pads which are doing their job mostly, although leaks down the side of the bed are a problem. At first he refused to wear the pull on pants I had got but is now wearing them but although they seem to catch a bit most of it is still on the bed.
Have I got the wrong size? What are the best ones? What are we doing wrong? Should they be tight fitting? Is it best to be smaller rather than larger?
Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
My OH with dementia has started with urinal incontinence and I have had to change the bed every day this week so far. I have bought disposable pads and waterproof mattress covers and washable bed pads which are doing their job mostly, although leaks down the side of the bed are a problem. At first he refused to wear the pull on pants I had got but is now wearing them but although they seem to catch a bit most of it is still on the bed.
Have I got the wrong size? What are the best ones? What are we doing wrong? Should they be tight fitting? Is it best to be smaller rather than larger?
Hi @HazelT My partner is having similar problems. Check with his GP that he hasn't a urine infection and ask to be referred to the incontinence team. My partner has been given free pull up pants which are working well. The nurse that visited did an assessment and advised best product and size.
In the meantime Aldi pull ups worked well for my OH.
Hope it works for you.

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I am told that the way you ''point Peter'' makes a difference. Flipped up is apparently the best way, otherwise leg holes aid to escapeism of urine.

The right size will aid in keeping him there.

Sorry perhaps TMI!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi, I don't know about the position inside my OH pull up but I did notice that after his last wee before bed he hadn't tucked himself back inside the pull up properly. We had been getting Aldi large , although I had bought medium when the large was out of stock. Nurse recommended medium as she said the tight fit was better. Obviously not too tight 😊

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am told that the way you ''point Peter'' makes a difference. Flipped up is apparently the best way, otherwise leg holes aid to escapeism of urine.

Sorry perhaps TMI!
(my bold)
Indeed, but make sure that it isnt "peeking" out of the top, or theres a gap in the waistband @HazelT

I also have a double kylie sheet that I tuck over the side of the bed and under the mattress to protect the side

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
perfectly natural.
have you never heard the prase (- outdated not as not many men have propely tailored suits) ''which side do you dress, sir? ''
What a topic of convo! :)
Isn't that to one side or the other? I always let flacid Peter hang down, never flip him up. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting "flipping up".

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
perfectly natural.
have you never heard the prase (- outdated not as not many men have propely tailored suits) ''which side do you dress, sir? ''
I think that phrase refers to which way the zip was needed. Usually to do with right or left handed.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh my goodness, it must be outdated!
Trying to put it delicately here.
This refers to which side of the seam underneath the trousers, the "bulge" fitted - whether it was in the left, or right leg. In the days when suits were properly tailored the leg into which the gentleman "dressed" had just a little more material in it to accommodate the "bulge".

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
Hi @HazelT My partner is having similar problems. Check with his GP that he hasn't a urine infection and ask to be referred to the incontinence team. My partner has been given free pull up pants which are working well. The nurse that visited did an assessment and advised best product and size.
In the meantime Aldi pull ups worked well for my OH.
Hope it works for you.
Thanks, we have had one assessment from the incontinence team but at the time it was not ‘bad’ enough to warrant pull ups on the NHS. So I have bought some but wondering if I have got the wrong size. Should they fit snuggly?

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023

Sorry perhaps TMI!
No I did wonder if that was the problem! The snugger they fit the better then I would think? Thanks.

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
Hi, I don't know about the position inside my OH pull up but I did notice that after his last wee before bed he hadn't tucked himself back inside the pull up properly. We had been getting Aldi large , although I had bought medium when the large was out of stock. Nurse recommended medium as she said the tight fit was better. Obviously not too tight 😊
Brilliant thank you. Think I will try some medium instead.

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
perfectly natural.
Brilliant, at least it has given me a chuckle! 😂

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Thanks, we have had one assessment from the incontinence team but at the time it was not ‘bad’ enough to warrant pull ups on the NHS. So I have bought some but wondering if I have got the wrong size. Should they fit snuggly?
Yes, should fit snugly. I'd go back to the incontinence team . My OH was having sporadic accidents and then 4 in two weeks. They won't give as ' just in case ' but if you've had a week it may be general deterioration. We've been given one pull up per night. Since they arrived two weeks ago there's been four more accidents. Nurse said we could use the same pull up two nights if not used and reorder when we need new supply after the renewal date.

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
Yes, should fit snugly. I'd go back to the incontinence team . My OH was having sporadic accidents and then 4 in two weeks. They won't give as ' just in case ' but if you've had a week it may be general deterioration. We've been given one pull up per night. Since they arrived two weeks ago there's been four more accidents. Nurse said we could use the same pull up two nights if not used and reorder when we need new supply after the renewal date.
Thanks, that’s helpful and yes I will be going back to the team.

Dianej

Mar 27, 2021
MY OH with dementia suddenly became incontinent at night after a stay in hospital. He would be wet three or four times with me changing the bed and his clothes each time. A friend told me about tablets which her grandson has for bedwetting which are called Desmopressin. I asked the doctor and he prescribed them on a trial basis. He also prescribed another anti fluid retention tablet to try at night as my husband has oedema and he thought that perhaps when he was lying flat in bed the fluid from his ankles was travelling to his bladder which was doing its job and emptying. This seemed to make some sense as OH is not incontinent during the day when he never lies with his feet up.. Also when he has fallen asleep on the sofa and slept there all night, he is in a sitting position with his feet on the floor and he has remained dry all night. We have tried both tablets and had some dry nights and some not so wet as he was before. But they are not successful every night.
OH has recently agree to wear pull up pants which we have to buy. I have been given free pads for him by local NHS but he won't keep pads on.

HazelT

Mar 17, 2023
MY OH with dementia suddenly became incontinent at night after a stay in hospital. He would be wet three or four times with me changing the bed and his clothes each time. A friend told me about tablets which her grandson has for bedwetting which are called Desmopressin. I asked the doctor and he prescribed them on a trial basis. He also prescribed another anti fluid retention tablet to try at night as my husband has oedema and he thought that perhaps when he was lying flat in bed the fluid from his ankles was travelling to his bladder which was doing its job and emptying. This seemed to make some sense as OH is not incontinent during the day when he never lies with his feet up.. Also when he has fallen asleep on the sofa and slept there all night, he is in a sitting position with his feet on the floor and he has remained dry all night. We have tried both tablets and had some dry nights and some not so wet as he was before. But they are not successful every night.
OH has recently agree to wear pull up pants which we have to buy. I have been given free pads for him by local NHS but he won't keep pads on.
That sounds so familiar to what we are going through. Thanks for your reply. I think I need to speak to the doctor.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023

That sounds so familiar to what we are going through. Thanks for your reply. I think I need to speak to the doctor.
My partner has heart trouble and his ankles and feet are swollen with odema. I wonder if his incontinence is to do with that . The pads the NHS give hold more liquid than the Tena pull ups they offer. The pull ups hold less than the Aldi ones but are sufficient at the moment for my OH.
I've read on this forum that some put pads inside pull ups as extra security.
Oh the joys of caring !

Last edited: