Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Talking Point - introduce yourself here

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Mark_W, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Robbie1954

Robbie1954 New member

May 28, 2018
    Hi, new to forum. Can i have your view/s please:-
    My Wife’s Mother is 81 and has dementia. She is currently in a care home and the family are in the process of clearing my Mother in Laws home with a view to renting it out to assist with care costs.
    Unfortunately my Mother in law has had a fall and been hospitalised.
    My Wife has an Enduring Power of Attorney in respect of her Mother’s affairs, this was signed some 20 years ago and has now been registered with the Court of Protection.
    If things weren’t difficult enough my Wife’s younger Brother is proving to be somewhat difficult and is insisting that as the eldest Son (only Son) he is Next of Kin.
    I’m not quite sure why this is so important to him as my understanding is that NOK carrries no legal weight unlike that of an Attorney which does give legal authority. It makes sense to me that my Wife, as Attorney, and eldest sibling, should be NOK.

2. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Welcome to TP, @Robbie1954. Sorry, I am no expert on legal matters, but would have thought POA gives your wife the right to be informed and to be consulted above and beyond next of kin. If you post on https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/legal-and-financial-issues.60/ you should get more replies. Have you tried the Alzheimers Helpline on 0300 222 1122? They are closed today for the holiday, but open again tomorrow 9am to 8pm.
    I can sympathise with the family problems though, they are a nightmare and placating everyone is hard work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.