wandering

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
Last night, for the first time as far as i know, my wife was wandering around the house. Said she thought something was on and went to investigate, no problem, but when she got back to the bedroom ( which is small) she got lost and i woke up to find her in a corner wondering how to get out. Another wrinkle in the dementia saga perhaps?? I wonder what's next. At least it is unlikely that she will go outside as she walks very slowly with a frame and never outside.

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
My husband wanders round the house a lot at night, either hearing noises or kinda sleep walking nightmares. He sometimes comes to wake me in case I am hiding waifs and strays in my room. Luckily he hasn’t left the house at night but it could happen as he is still physically pretty fit. I am just hoping for the best and trying to get my 8 hours in so I can cope with another day of bizarre behaviour.
I think sleep disturbances are very common in dementia. I have wondered about asking the GP for some sleeping tablets for him but I don’t want him to fall.
Good luck with it tonebear I feel your pain!

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
My mother lived by herself, was very physically fit and wandered outside at night. That was the tipping point that made us place her in a care home.

Cardamom

Jul 19, 2023
Hi @tonebear my husband started becoming disorientated and wandering(once outside) at night. I told the memory clinic and they arranged for an equipment company to give me a PIR movement sensor. I hold the pager and it sounds if my husband leaves his rom and goes to the stairs.

It is really helpful as it means I only wake up if the sensor sounds .Hope that helps

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
Thanks for the advice and feelings, It is a bit worrying. Lost her glasses this afternoon. I looked everywhere but no luck so got an older pair out to stop her fidgeting. Found them when she went to bed, she had given them to Robocat to look after. ( how would i know that) but at least we got them back. P.S. she is very low sighted and the glasses make no difference, it's just the feel of them in place.

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
My husband wanders round the house a lot at night, either hearing noises or kinda sleep walking nightmares. He sometimes comes to wake me in case I am hiding waifs and strays in my room. Luckily he hasn’t left the house at night but it could happen as he is still physically pretty fit. I am just hoping for the best and trying to get my 8 hours in so I can cope with another day of bizarre behaviour.
I think sleep disturbances are very common in dementia. I have wondered about asking the GP for some sleeping tablets for him but I don’t want him to fall.
Good luck with it tonebear I feel your pain!
I had the wandering at night too,I took all keys to bed but then he'd be waking me up cos he couldn't find them,several times a night😩He was then prescribed sleeping tablets but I stopped them,I found him halfway down the stairs one night gripping the banister,he'd almost fallen and was scared to move,it took all I had to half carry him back to bed.This was the beginning of the end for us,things just got worse.Feeling for you tonebear,sorry to say it's just gonna get harder🥲

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
@tonebear you can buy movement sensors quite cheaply. If you get one and put it either your wife’s side of the bed or at the door it will wake you and you can get her back to bed.

It sounds like things have taken a step down for you guys in the past few weeks 😢😢 I’m wondering if the change to autumn/winter trips many of them downwards …I’ve wondered that for mum. Her speech was awful last winter but picked up in spring 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ Is now depemdant on her hydration levels!