Wandering technology

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Hi. Does anyone have any experience of trackers that my husband can wear. He’s perfectly capable of going for short walks on his own - up to 20 some days but has recently got lost a couple of times. I’ve tried one watch tracker but it doesn’t update frequently. I’m looking for something that can track him and find if he’s off his normal path and then I can intervene. He’s also started taking a detour to the park and one of the parents has already threatened us with the police.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
He’s also started taking a detour to the park and one of the parents has already threatened us with the police.
Be proactive here and register him at the local police station under the Herbert Protocol. The idea of it is to identify him as a vulnerable person, so that if he gets lost or comes to the attention of the police he can be quickly identified and returned home.

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
My wife is also still able to go for walks on her own and has got lost a few times. As we live in the coutryside she ended up in a field with a load of uninterested cows, so no complaints fortunately!! She currently carrries her iPhone and wears her iWatch so I can check where she is on the Find My Phone app. As it is live I could chat her out of the field back onto the road! Of course it’ll get more difficult when she leaves the tech behind, but I will make sure she carries a tracker in her coat which I can find.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
HI @Ellie2018, this topic comes up quite often. I've done a search in the bar at the top and these are the results.
I hope there might be some useful information in those threads. I agree about registering your husband with the police so that things can be swiftly sorted if he does get in to bother.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
My wife is also still able to go for walks on her own and has got lost a few times. As we live in the coutryside she ended up in a field with a load of uninterested cows, so no complaints fortunately!! She currently carrries her iPhone and wears her iWatch so I can check where she is on the Find My Phone app. As it is live I could chat her out of the field back onto the road! Of course it’ll get more difficult when she leaves the tech behind, but I will make sure she carries a tracker in her coat which I can find.
Thanks for the response My husband won’t carry a phone or I tag. Do you know if the iwatch can work without a phone in range and is accurate and timely. I have one that is just not accurate so makes it even worse. Thanks.

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
My wife’s iWatch connects to the mobile phone signal, so yes I can watch her walk even without the phone. Doesn’t have to be the latest version of course and initially it may give your husband something to look at, etc!!

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
My wife’s iWatch connects to the mobile phone signal, so yes I can watch her walk even without the phone. Doesn’t have to be the latest version of course and initially it may give your husband something to look at, etc!!
Thank you. I think I’ll try that. I can’t see him wearing a pendant and a tag he won’t know what it is so he takes them out of his pocket.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Thank you. I think I’ll try that. I can’t see him wearing a pendant and a tag he won’t know what it is so he takes them out of his pocket.
I’m really sorry to keep asking but think this may be the solution. Can I just check, a standard Apple Watch, I’m going to try with mine, I was looking to get a new one anyway, can I track him with this on my iPhone. Thanks again.

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
It has to be a connected iWatch so it’s picking up the mobile phone signal. Yes, you can then track him on the Find My Phone app on your iPhone. We use Apple airtags in our handbags - good if my wife leaves hers behind - and they are small enough to sew into clothing! Happy to help - please keep asking!!

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
It has to be a connected iWatch so it’s picking up the mobile phone signal. Yes, you can then track him on the Find My Phone app on your iPhone. We use Apple airtags in our handbags - good if my wife leaves hers behind - and they are small enough to sew into clothing! Happy to help - please keep asking!!
Thank you so much. I have AirTags for not looking after my keys properly and tried that, lasted 20 mins! I’ll order a new watch today and try that. Such a shame this one I bought that has tracking and a few fence doesn’t work because on paper it should be perfect. Thanks angina, I might be back!