Happy Birthday @Jaded'n'faded

csm_Birthday_wishes_-_article_86eca3650b.png

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
🎂 🎂 🎂

Well my plans seem to have got awry too
Ive got all my family coming over for the day tomorrow (its not my year to host Christmas day itself, so they are all coming before Christmas)
OH cant cope with lots of people at a sit down meal and I dont want to spend all day cooking, so we are having a buffet meal - cold meats, salads, cheese and crackers.

I picked up all the meat needed for the Christmas period yesterday (turkey breast in the freezer) and got my fruit/veg order from the greengrocers. Everything else had been got from Sainsburys earlier in the week, so I was feeling pretty smug that I had got all the food and put aside today to do all the cooking and last minute cleaning.

Like Chizz, I hadnt planned for 3 extra washloads! OHs catheter came apart during the night, he woke up wringing wet and I had to remove his wet PJs, wash him and change all the bedding. Thank god for kylie sheets! At least today is a good drying day. I also had a newby carer who had not been before, so I had to show her where everything was kept and how the shower worked

Talk about multitasking today, though. Today at one point I had washing on the line, more in the washing machine, pigs in blankets cooking in the oven, rice for the rice salad on the hob, peas and sweetcorn in the microwave and the dishwasher on too. When something started dinging I couldnt work out which thing was finished and needed attention!

OK, Ive finished lunch - back for round 3!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don’t know how you do it @canary I’d have passed out.

When my husband was with me we only had people in ones and twos and never at festive times so hats off to every carer who is hosting family gatherings.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I don’t know how you do it @canary I’d have passed out.
I got close to it myself!
I found myself saying to myself "whose stupid idea was this?"
Still, all cooked now.
I just have to do last minute things like chopping up the fresh salad ingredients and mixing up the rice and potato salad. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
@canary, what a day! Well done for managing everything. Like @Grannie G, we only had small groups and even in mid stage would go to a local pub for lunch. It just became too much.

Hoping things settle down.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
you put me to shame @canary as well as managing your OH special diet. we have one family over then another another day with day breaks in between. we had 2 of my grandchildren i was baby sitting for 3 afternoons. he was at his limit yesterday, really tired and wobbling all over the place. my grandson is 6 with loads of energy and was just bouncing off the walls.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
My late mother and a friend of mine once demolished a bottle of Baileys one New Year’s Eve, so the drink always has fond memories for me of Christmas’ past.
My Christmas is almost organised. I’ve got to go and buy the veg from the brilliant market stall this morning and some fresh flowers to make the place look nice. Our son arrives at lunchtime and then the festivities can begin.
@sdmhred, so sorry to hear about BT’s mistake. I managed to get compensation when I was trying to sort out my mum’s account. I’m deaf and they insisted it had to be done by phone. I couldn’t understand what they were saying so I raised a complaint about lack of support for hard of hearing customers. It was a hassle but keep at it.
View attachment 69697
My mantelpiece blinged up for Christmas. My beloved late mother in law’s Staffordshire dogs are always there, the rest just comes out at this time of year.
Thanks @Izzy
its good to see your decorations and preparations too.
Christmas is a write off for me in many ways this year….but when I read your post it struck me that you may well have had difficult Christmases in the past and that I too will have ones in the future when things are different….

Anyway I remembered I had bought a bottle of mulled wine so I have had a glass and given mum an inch this evening!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
managed to finish the main man nearing his time to fly around the world. ive had to really burn the midnight oil to get it finished and be paired with the elf i made earlier.

Attachments

• IMG_20231222_223431.jpg
    IMG_20231222_223431.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 53

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
He’s fabulous 🥰🥰🥰 once he’s done with his flying is he going to one of the grandkids or adorn your mantelpiece??

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
🎂 🎂 🎂

Well my plans seem to have got awry too
Ive got all my family coming over for the day tomorrow (its not my year to host Christmas day itself, so they are all coming before Christmas)
OH cant cope with lots of people at a sit down meal and I dont want to spend all day cooking, so we are having a buffet meal - cold meats, salads, cheese and crackers.

I picked up all the meat needed for the Christmas period yesterday (turkey breast in the freezer) and got my fruit/veg order from the greengrocers. Everything else had been got from Sainsburys earlier in the week, so I was feeling pretty smug that I had got all the food and put aside today to do all the cooking and last minute cleaning.

Like Chizz, I hadnt planned for 3 extra washloads! OHs catheter came apart during the night, he woke up wringing wet and I had to remove his wet PJs, wash him and change all the bedding. Thank god for kylie sheets! At least today is a good drying day. I also had a newby carer who had not been before, so I had to show her where everything was kept and how the shower worked

Talk about multitasking today, though. Today at one point I had washing on the line, more in the washing machine, pigs in blankets cooking in the oven, rice for the rice salad on the hob, peas and sweetcorn in the microwave and the dishwasher on too. When something started dinging I couldnt work out which thing was finished and needed attention!

OK, Ive finished lunch - back for round 3!!
Well done @canary for getting through a tough day, or should that be another tough day.