Violent behaviour, being asked to leave care home.

* Leean *

Aug 25, 2022
Hi all,
Does anyone have experience of a relative being asked to leave residential care due to uncontrolled violent behaviour?
My mum moved to a new home 2weeks ago and her behaviour has spiralled. (I think the last home may hidden some behaviours from me). She's always been verbally aggressive but is now attacking staff and relatives. 😭
The home have been amazing so far and involved the GP and mental health team for urgent referrals. They've prescribed lorazepam and an antipsychotic in an attempt to get things under control.
They want to give her a fair chance to settle down but, because she has hit another resident is being closely monitored and, if the medication doesn't work she is likely to be asked to leave.
Can anyone advise what the process would be and the care options that would be still available to her please?
I am worried sick and totally out of my depth - her dementia journey has been such a quick one that I'm still learning...

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes we went through a very similar situation except mum had been in the home for 12 months. They also involved the GP to rule out a UTI or other infection and change in meds. They kept a close watch on her for any triggers then they wanted her to have a blood test and that this needed to happen in hospital as she wouldn’t let the staff or dr near her. At the time I was away so they home took her to hospital to be met by the MHSOP crisis team and mum was sectioned. I think this was a deliberate move on the homes behalf but actually the best thing they could have done and she is now in a special home that can provide the care she needs and she is very content at the moment ( unless it’s bath time!)
If I was you I would be asking for a social worker to be involved maybe via the mental health team and explain that if your mum has to move they will have to use their expertise to manage this.
Ultimately the home do not have to keep her their if she is behaving in a way they can not provide support for and she will require greater support. Let the professionals get involved and let them do the heavy lifting on this.
Remember this is the dementia, not your mum. You are not alone, this happens quite often .

* Leean *

Aug 25, 2022
Thanks for your reply.
I have a lot of faith on the quality of care she's now receiving but totally understand that they may have to ask her to leave of nothing improves which is just so frustrating now that I've got that trust in this home.
Can I ask what a social worker's role would be in this situation and why it wouldn't just be an automatic referral if relevant?
Sorry for extra questions, I just feel so uneducated in the dementia care system...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The SWs role is to make sure that people with dementia are correctly placed in appropriate homes. They are also often the "gateway" to other services.
Im afraid I dont know why it is not an automatic referral

I would push to get your mum sectioned. It sounds awful, but the doctors would be able to get her medication sorted in a safe environment.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
There is a special type of social worker called an Approved Mental Health Professional. They have the authority to section a patient. They organise mental health act assessments and will detail someone if they receive 2 doctor’s recommendations. If you are your mum’s nearest relative you can request such an assessment, as can the home or mental health team.

Don’t be scared of sectioning. If your mum doesn’t settle, this will hopefully get her thr treatment she needs.

Janei

Sep 10, 2023
Just want to say a huge thank you for this thread - Leean I am exactly in the same position as you, mum has been given notice to leave her current home, yet I can't find anyone else that will take her. Thank you everyone else for your advice, I will be phoning social services on Monday for help. x