Vascular dementia

Teresa24

Aug 19, 2023
Hi my mother in law has vascular dementia and we are not sure what stage she is at now. She doesn't eat a lot and is very frail. She can't walk hardly at all we use a wheelchair for her. She can't remember how to do anything at home either. Any advice given will be greatly appreciated.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Teresa24.

My mum also had vascular dementia. It’s hard to say what stage someone is at as everyone is different. Your mother in law does sound quite advanced.

You might find this link helpful -

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Teresa24 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point our supportive and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to hear about your mother in law. I don't know anything about vascular dementia but wondered if this link would help:

Do keep using this site as there are other members who may be able to give you the benefit of their experience.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Teresa24 . My mother also has vascular dementia. It is difficult to know what stage someone is at. My mother is in the late stages as she needs a wheelchair, can't follow instructions, and little of what she says makes sense. She can still feed herself and seems quite pleased to see me when I visit her in her care home. Although she is late stages she is otherwise healthy and I think could stay at this stage for quite a while.
Does your mother in law have help coming in at the moment? If not that might be the next thing to do to support her. I don't know if this fact sheet might help.