vaccination at home?

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
Hi folks,I look after my mother at home who is bedbound,can anyone tell me if they have had a loved one that has had a visit to their private home to be given a vaccination yet?I have rang them a few times and mums gp said they don't even know who the people are that are going to give the jab but that mum's booked in for it.
So i just wondered if anyone else has had any luck?

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Yes, my uncle who has cancer had a home visit for vaccination. He had the Astra Zeneca vaccine a few weeks ago. This is in the east Midlands.

How old is your Mum? I know they are onto the over-70s at vaccine centres now in our area. I would give them a reminder - speak to the practice nurse if you can.

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
Yes, my uncle who has cancer had a home visit for vaccination. He had the Astra Zeneca vaccine a few weeks ago. This is in the east Midlands.

How old is your Mum? I know they are onto the over-70s at vaccine centres now in our area. I would give them a reminder - speak to the practice nurse if you can.
Hi mums 82,she's unable to leave the home,I have rang the Gp practice 4 times to chase things and they say that it's an outside group that are doing it and they don't even know who the people are and that's all they could say.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My 93 year old mother in law was due to be vaccinated at home a couple of weeks ago, but there was a problem with the vaccine supply. It's now been rescheduled for this week. She too is in the East Midlands.
I heard on the news tonight that if you are over seventy and haven't had the shot you need to contact the NHS to arrange, so definitely chase it up.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My daughter is training to do the jabs at present. ( so much training you would not believe).
She will be starting soon.Her target for the day is 11 people per day.
Think about your ‘ patch’ would you be able to drive around it and do more than 11 people in a day?
Unless you are Jenson Button then the answer is no, and with this information you have the reason she hasn’t been done yet. Compared to people turning up at a vaccination centre the process is grossly inefficient and will just take a bit of time.
Don’t worry I am sure she will be done in the not too distant future.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Should be having mine tomorrow, at my home. Snow ( we have quite a bit) has put that off, they say for Two weeks. However, as the 15 Feb date is now relevant, shall try a phone call to GP surgery when snow has disappeared.
I was called on the second day but I was in hospital. Then I started on a new to me drug, a blood thinner. That put me back three weeks. Now it’s another two weeks. Fed up - you bet!

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
My 93 year old mother in law was due to be vaccinated at home a couple of weeks ago, but there was a problem with the vaccine supply. It's now been rescheduled for this week. She too is in the East Midlands.
I heard on the news tonight that if you are over seventy and haven't had the shot you need to contact the NHS to arrange, so definitely chase it up.
Hi thanks,I've just rang the NHS number 119 as the visiting carers mentioned that number tonight and the lady that I spoke to said that's only to arrange for vaccinations at a vaccination centre.Mum has 8 visiting carers that come to the home every day and they have had their jabs.I'm just going to have to wait then,it's frustrating.

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
My daughter is training to do the jabs at present. ( so much training you would not believe).
She will be starting soon.Her target for the day is 11 people per day.
Think about your ‘ patch’ would you be able to drive around it and do more than 11 people in a day?
Unless you are Jenson Button then the answer is no, and with this information you have the reason she hasn’t been done yet. Compared to people turning up at a vaccination centre the process is grossly inefficient and will just take a bit of time.
Don’t worry I am sure she will be done in the not too distant future.
Hi well I hope it's not too long,It's a shame the practice hasn't got the oxford jab as the nurses attached to the practice could have given those like they do for the flu jab at home

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
Should be having mine tomorrow, at my home. Snow ( we have quite a bit) has put that off, they say for Two weeks. However, as the 15 Feb date is now relevant, shall try a phone call to GP surgery when snow has disappeared.
I was called on the second day but I was in hospital. Then I started on a new to me drug, a blood thinner. That put me back three weeks. Now it’s another two weeks. Fed up - you bet!
Hi that's good news,at least you have heard from somebody,I did feel as if mums one of the hidden people

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i am going to have a jab at home as i cant manage to go out. its not due for a while yet but i come under the housebound service which is a separate service to the GP practice. the GP practice refers you to the housebound service. i need a blood test for diabetes and took week for the doctor to give permission to the housebound and ive waited more than a week for them to do it. im only 53 so keep slipping through the net. my 72 husband had his at a hub last week. hes more mobile

Jerseygirl

Feb 8, 2021
Hi. I am in the same situation. My mother is 85 and with Alzheimer. There is only me and I don'the drive and neither does a carer who comes a couple of times a week. Sometimes she is very weak and confused so the surgery put her, last week, on a Home Visit list for the vaccine. They said they don't do it but is done by 'another team' and could not say when, even when asked if weeks or months. I do not know if they will just turn up or ring first so I have not been able to pop out , even for 10 mins, in case I miss them. I live with mum and she cannot answer door or phone. I am in East Yorkshire.

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
i am going to have a jab at home as i cant manage to go out. its not due for a while yet but i come under the housebound service which is a separate service to the GP practice. the GP practice refers you to the housebound service. i need a blood test for diabetes and took week for the doctor to give permission to the housebound and ive waited more than a week for them to do it. im only 53 so keep slipping through the net. my 72 husband had his at a hub last week. hes more mobile
Hi thanks,hope you don't mind me asking is that your first blood test for diabetes to see if you have it?

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
Hi. I am in the same situation. My mother is 85 and with Alzheimer. There is only me and I don'the drive and neither does a carer who comes a couple of times a week. Sometimes she is very weak and confused so the surgery put her, last week, on a Home Visit list for the vaccine. They said they don't do it but is done by 'another team' and could not say when, even when asked if weeks or months. I do not know if they will just turn up or ring first so I have not been able to pop out , even for 10 mins, in case I miss them. I live with mum and she cannot answer door or phone. I am in East Yorkshire.
Hi that's how I'm feeling,I only pop out to go to the shops but at the moment I'm worrying that I'm going to miss them

Aquamoon

May 4, 2017
My 95 year old mum was vaccinated 2 weeks ago at home .-West Dunbartonshire Scotland.

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
Hi @wilko73, it would appear Boris is shaking the magic money tree once more and offering Dr's surgeries a further £10 per house visit to provide the vaccine. Hopefully this will speed things up for your mum, I have a vision of half a dozen Dr's on your doorstep jostling to get in first..... ?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi thanks,hope you don't mind me asking is that your first blood test for diabetes to see if you have it?
no, i had type 2 for about 5 yrs but havent seen the nurse or had checks for about 3yrs as i dont like the nurse that does it. the metformin really doesnt agree with me

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
no, i had type 2 for about 5 yrs but havent seen the nurse or had checks for about 3yrs as i dont like the nurse that does it. the metformin really doesnt agree with me
Hi i have t2 diabetes,do you use the forum on diabetes.org.uk it's very good.I take metformin half way through a meal and have been lucky with it i suppose,people do mention a slow release version that some people cope better with

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
Hi @wilko73, it would appear Boris is shaking the magic money tree once more and offering Dr's surgeries a further £10 per house visit to provide the vaccine. Hopefully this will speed things up for your mum, I have a vision of half a dozen Dr's on your doorstep jostling to get in first..... ?
Haha that wouldn't surprise me,mum even had to pay £10 to get a signature on a form from a doctor so she could get her council tax reduced due to mental impairment

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi i have t2 diabetes,do you use the forum on diabetes.org.uk it's very good.I take metformin half way through a meal and have been lucky with it i suppose,people do mention a slow release version that some people cope better with
i have the slow release one but it irritates my IBS so i have to take another tablet to counteract that one. i take alogliptin as well