Tips for dealing with anxiety

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Do you have any advice about dealing with feelings of anxiety that could help other people living with dementia?

Are there things that you’ve tried which either have or haven't worked for you?

Is there anything you'd like to say to other people with dementia who are experiencing these feelings?

If so, we'd like to share these with readers of our magazine, Dementia together - please email magazine@alzheimers.org.uk or reply on this thread before 29 August.

Thank you :)

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Thank you Harriet,
Not really a problem for me. However I feel that my coldwater swimming keeps many feelings in perspective and contributes greatly to my general wellbeing.

Shelleydvr

Jun 10, 2023
Ummmm. Some small amount of anti-depressant... But it is becoming harder to keep the anxiety at bay..
Hence landed up back here to share with others... Of course, I had forgotten I had registered here. :) Not necessarily tips... but experiences.
A forum/support group for those with Dementia is sadly lacking , although there is a lot for the caregaivers..

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
@Dunroamin I'm very glad that your cold water swimming keeps your feelings in perspective, and helps a lot with your wellbeing. That's great to hear :)

Thanks @Shelleydvr for your comment. Whether it's tips or sharing your own experiences, it's all incredibly valuable.

I'm sorry to hear you feel that peer support for those with dementia is lacking. The 'I have dementia' area is intended to be a space for people living with dementia to support each other, so please feel free to keep posting in here for support from others.

If you or anyone has any suggestions on how we could improve the 'I have dementia' forum, you're very welcome to email us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

Shelleydvr

Jun 10, 2023
@Dunroamin I'm very glad that your cold water swimming keeps your feelings in perspective, and helps a lot with your wellbeing. That's great to hear :)

Thanks @Shelleydvr for your comment. Whether it's tips or sharing your own experiences, it's all incredibly valuable.

I'm sorry to hear you feel that peer support for those with dementia is lacking. The 'I have dementia' area is intended to be a space for people living with dementia to support each other, so please feel free to keep posting in here for support from others.

If you or anyone has any suggestions on how we could improve the 'I have dementia' forum, you're very welcome to email us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk
I didn't mean to be in any way critical... It can be difficult for us to mavigate a website though.. And not having someone immediately available to help getting there is mot great.
I've already had some comfort from other de,entia suffer on here , readimg the words they put donw

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Apologies I don’t mean to distract this thread - but I picked up a couple of people saying they found the site difficult to navigate when they had dementia. I too often lose threads. Is there any thought to an app which might be easier to use?
I will reply to the thread title - it’s having the time to write what would be quite a long response.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
I have meditated for years now morning and night- even for a few minutes can help tremendously with anxiety -followed by occasionally mindfulness walking- even while suffering from stiff knee syndrome after fail Knee replacement so constant pain has well has the foggy days that come and go, My memory clinic consultant has constantly remark how well I cope with what I have, and still at work and its all due to my meditation practice

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks @Shelleydvr and @sdmhred for your helpful feedback. We did have an app but unfortunately it wasn't possible to continue and we had to close it, as announced here back in 2017.

It sounds like the community can be difficult to navigate for some people living with dementia, and we're always looking at ways to improve things so that it's easier to use. I also appreciate that it takes time to write a longer response. If you start writing a post, it should automatically save so you can always come back to it later.

Thank you @mikeb2 for sharing what's helped you. I'm really glad that meditation has been so beneficial for you.

Jane R

Jun 26, 2022
I've downloaded an app called "Calm." It has guided meditations (short or long. ) It has saved my life and helped sleep inspite of all the thoughts whirling around in my head.

Sylvie1

Aug 16, 2023
My husband has Alzheimer's and one of the most beneficial things for me emotionally is Dance Movement Psychotherapy. It's not cheap but I have a 2-hour session once a month with a wonderful Dance Movement Psychotherapist when I can be myself, express my frustration, stress, fear, etc., both verbally and in moving to music. I can go into a session in great distress, on my knees mentally and physically, and emerge feeling lighter, nourished with recharged batteries. There are not many of these therapists about. To find one in your area have a look at the website of The Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy UK.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks @Sylvie1, it's great to hear that dance movement psychotherapy has been so useful for you. It sounds like it's a really beneficial release for you.

Just a reminder, this thread is intended for people who are living with dementia to share how they deal with feelings of anxiety - or if you're caring for someone, please feel free to share anything you've found that helps with their anxiety :)

ged626red

Jun 10, 2022
Chadderton near Oldham
Hi,
I use a tip I got from an Empowered Conversations course on line I attended and it seems to help my wife - I tell her to breathe in then hold for four - five seconds and then breathe out and then repeat five times. It seems to work as it concentrates her mind and stops her lips chattering. We now use sertraline but really dont know if this actually helps. I have also just recently noticed her hand shaking.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’d not heard of the Empowered Conversation courses @ged626red.

Here’s the link in case anyone wants to have a look at them.

moffy

Feb 5, 2022
I care for my husband with dementia. He has a carer while I go belly dancing. I had not been for a long time and was unsure if it was the right thing to do. However, for an hour I had to concentrate on something else and it really helped - and belly dancing is great fun anyway. I think that anything that requires concentrating on something would be good. I also have an art session with a lady I have known for years. Her son has problems and we spend some of the time talking about our problems. It helps that it is someone who is not family. I find my faith a great support too, especially at night if I can't sleep I pray.

Roberts

Mar 4, 2023
Unfortunately like most other people dealing with this I seem to be continually waiting for the next stress point, such as Adult Social Care social worker saying my Mother will get a care package and then being successfully ignored for several weeks.
I tend to use the app Headspace, this helps somewhat, but I find it is not enough on its own and have been seeing an anxiety counsellor at my own cost.

Dollytatty

Aug 12, 2023
Ummmm. Some small amount of anti-depressant... But it is becoming harder to keep the anxiety at bay..
Hence landed up back here to share with others... Of course, I had forgotten I had registered here. :) Not necessarily tips... but experiences.
A forum/support group for those with Dementia is sadly lacking , although there is a lot for the caregaivers..
I'm here if you ever want to chat, talking and knowing your not alone helps! And recognising each others challenges,relating... just them moments of ..yeah! That's happens to me and yes I feel like that. I think we need support on a daily basis. My phone is old so won't take certain apps, I honestly struggle daily. Be nice to click a button and just reach out and say it, just moan and get some support from fellow carers, even if the reaction is "Hey! We're here"
My Dad passed in April, Dementia. Looked after him for three years and Mum with Alzeimers. Still looking after Mum at home. So be nice to have that easy reach out to eachother button. X

Dollytatty

Aug 12, 2023
I've downloaded an app called "Calm." It has guided meditations (short or long. ) It has saved my life and helped sleep inspite of all the thoughts whirling around in my head.
I'm going to look for Calm now, thanks for sharing.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Be nice to click a button and just reach out and say it, just moan and get some support from fellow carers,
As you see from the quote below, Shelleydvr is not a carer but is someone who is living with dementia so is looking for support from others in the same boat. From my experience carers thankfully do support each other very well on Talking Point.

Last edited:

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
What my OH would like is not so much writing on here but meeting up with fellow suffers like activities to do and share experiences places to meet etc that is what missing for fellow suffers ! sadly very poor in that aspect in my part of the country