Thinking ahead re bank accounts

MellieC

Jan 24, 2023
Hi my elderly mum has dementia and is in a home, self funding after sale of her house, I am an LPA and look after her bank accounts which are only used for her care fees with the home or anything she needs herself in terms of clothes or toiletries.

Someone mentioned to me the cost of things after someone passes away and the fact that her bank account will be frozen that there should be some money for easy access such as to pay for death certificates, funeral costs (we do already have a pre-paid funeral in place), any outstanding residential home payment etc and any other costs.
I understand that her bank will pay any invoices related to undertaker / funeral.

So my question is - is this something I should be concerned about or prepare to do anything about, anyone with experience of other costs that may arise and what they have done in terms of planning, we can't afford to cover large costs ourselves so it is something to be mindful of and I want to ensure everything I do as an LPA is correct. I'd be really grateful for people's experience of this. Thank you.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The LPA ceases on your mom's death and the executor takes over handling of the estate.
Banks will pay funeral costs on receipt of an invoice from a funeral director.
None of any debt will be yours, creditors will have to wait for probate to be paid out of mum's estate.