Microwave safety

RLockwood

Jun 26, 2024
Hi my mum has recently left food in the microwave for too long and caused a fire. Im now looking for a microwave with a safety/lock feature.
She lives independently despite failing memory.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @RLockwood.

I'm sorry to read about your mum. That must be quite a worry for you. There's an old thread on here that might be helpful -

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Having read the previous thread linked to, I wonder if a child lock would actually work. Could it be defeated by switching the microwave on and off again? I wonder if it might give you a false feeling of security.

Does she have access to a cooker as well?

I'm just asking because when my mother started setting fire to things (in her case, the grill pan) it was a signal that she could not live independently any longer. I arranged (self funded) carers to come in and provide her meals, and they ensured she could not turn on the cooker.

Last edited:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hi my mum has recently left food in the microwave for too long and caused a fire. Im now looking for a microwave with a safety/lock feature.
She lives independently despite failing memory.
It's a big red flag. You may find a temporary solution but I'd agree with @Sirena - your mum is becoming a danger to herself. Turning things on then forgetting about it is a big problem when people with dementia live alone. You might want to also read some threads here on flooding the bathroom, etc... :oops:

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Yes @Jaded'n'faded I agree, that's the problem - I found the whole progress of dementia involved solving one problem only for another to appear. My mother managed with carers for a while, but as things progressed she moved to a care home.