Think my family are suffering

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Mark

Very well done on making the appointment to see your GP, and of course you can ask for a referral (if your GP doesn't suggest it) to a psychiatrist or psychologist. I hope you find the strength to have a good talk about your feelings however dark they be at times, your GP will understand. It is important you talk about your release of pain through self harm, I'm sure once you have the referral you will be helped with coping strategies, and a change in medication if they feel this is the best option for you.
Thinking of you
Cate

Tony Tucker

Nov 17, 2006
Bristol
Keep Talking

Mark

I just wanted to send you a short reply - not got long as I've got to go to work but from you last mail I'm pleased you are off to the Doctors.

I'm a bloke and not a Mummy's boy but you only have one mum and you think that no-one but no-one can understands the real pain when your mum goes in to care. But I do - I've been there and so have a lot of people on this site.

I was like you crying all the time but I found a friend to talk to - thats my message just keep talking on here, to your doctor or any counseller you can find. Yes take the drugs they suggest but for the short term, just talk on how you feel. You feel silly crying sometimes but afterwards ifeels so much better. I can listen to my mum's favourite with a sort of smile - with a little tear! If you understand

My mums been in care now for 2 years - its still not easy but everyday I seem to deal a little bit better.

Must go to work - Good luck Mark
Tony

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Wish I could get that through to a few doctors I've encountered (and that last nurse who blamed me for neglect).

Lila

Cate said:

Your GP is not there to pass judgement

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Forgive me Lila, because I know you've had some bad experiences, but that's not a helpful comment to a poster who is already worried about what a doctor might say. Anyway, it's one thing for a doctor to apparently pass judgement on one's care of another, but it's a big leap to assume that same doctor would make judements about the care of oneself.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
That`s precisely what you can do, Mark. You can go to your GP and ask him/her to refer you to a psychiatrist. If s/he`s worth his/her salt, you`ll be asked to elaborate and you`ll be listened to and taken seriously.
The most important thing is for you to GO. That`s your starting point.

Take care, Sylvia

Helena

May 24, 2006
Mark

If theres any Auto immune diseases in your family especially Hypothyroid you are best advised to avoid Fluoxetine

Its based on flouride and severely depresses the Thyroid which alone can make you very weepy

Its extremely hard to get off Anti depressants once on them and they actually cause more problems than they cure

Homeopathic IGNATIA 6 times a day (from any chemist /Boots /lloyds etc ) would be far better ......its the remedy for grief which is really what you are suffering

you might cry buckets on it for a few days but will then recover

Dont let any one inc the GP tell you Homeopathy is humbug because it is not

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
helena

i tried a few remedies before resorting to antidepressants, they may not be humbug but they didnt work for me, the antidepressants however are helping and i dont intend to be on them for ever just to see me through what is a very bad patch.
every medication has its drawbacks my mums medication for dementia has more side effects than a lot, but that dosent mean she she shouldnt take them.
if homeopathic medicine is good for you then thats fine but its not suitable for everyone.
just my own opinion of course
take care

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
how did it go?

Hi Mark - just wondering how the appointment at the GPs went? I think the comments on this thread show how true it is that what works for one person might not work for another. I think that's true whether it's medication, homeopathy, counselling or whatever. Everyone is different, the causes of their difficulties are different, and what they need in order to sort themselves out is different. I guess what I'm saying is that it's important to keep trying, you owe it to yourself and your family to get yourself the help you need. There will be a way through this.

best wishes - Áine