The Truth Dilemma

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
I know this subject has been raised before, but I just wanted to talk about it, as I am finding it hard to deal with in a rational way. Our friend John is now safely living in a care home and the staff are all wonderful. He is self funding, and we hold LPA for Property and Finance so have been tasked with clearing and selling his house, as he has no family.
The last few months have been very traumatic ( see my other posts on DoLs etc) but we can now see, hopefully, calmer waters ahead. We have endeavoured to make his room more cosy and homely, moving in a favourite chair, his bookcase, books, pictures and momentoes. I found some photo albums which haven’t seen the light of day for many years, and we went through one of them together. John cried when he saw happy childhood photos and one of his mother. I felt awful ( we have never seen him cry before or show any emotion in over 40 years) and asked him if I should put them away for a while, but he said no, and when I suggested framing one or two of the loose photos he was in agreement. Now I am worried that he will get upset again when I take them in.
Also, he has recognised the ornaments etc, but hasn’t asked why we are bringing them in. He still talks occasionally about leaving and going home, and I have learned to deflect or divert successfully. However, now the house is being sold, and actually went on the market today, I am feeling really guilty that I haven’t told him, even though I know he won’t understand, and is confused over where he lives/lived, mostly referring to his childhood home.
He has also, in the last few weeks, started to say he hasn’t been visiting his mother and really should, and would we like to go. I have deflected this saying, oh yes when the weather is better etc, but one day I said that as he was 88 she would be over 120 and is no longer with us, and he said, oh has she died, but half an hour later continued to talk about visiting her.
I think my problem is coming to terms with not telling the truth, even though I know it would only bring upset, albeit temporary as he would forget again. I know it’s the kindest and selfless thing to do, but I really feel deceitful and that I have betrayed his trust in the only friends he has.
Coupled with going through over 50 years of hoarding every possession, every letter, bill, rooms filled to overflowing with clutter, I have tried to keep and treasure for him a very heavily curated selection of memorabilia for him. It’s like trying to hold onto fragments of a life and memories that are slipping away. Who am I to make these decisions over another life?

UncleRobert

Jan 5, 2024
Hi You are just being a kind and sensitive person and should not chastise yourself for this. You are not really lying, you are just dealing with the situation in the best and kindest way that you can. It is very hard to deal with someone else's life and memories but it sounds to me like you are doing a good job.

Mumlikesflowers

Aug 13, 2020
I'm blown away @DeeCee7 that you are doing what you are doing and with the care that you are doing it for someone you're not related to. Yes I accept that you signed up for the responsibility. Everything you say makes me feel you have your own answers already and are feeling your way as sensitively as you possibly can.

ShivyDevon

Oct 11, 2022
What an amazing friend you are. Thank you for doing this for John. As someone who doesn't have any children but close friends (chosen family) I would hope my friends would take the same care and diligence over the finances and possessions I enjoyed in my lifetime before dementia. Please do not feel guilty, you are friends and he trusted you to do what was right with his physical life. You're a wonderful person . Tale care and I hope John enjoys his memorabilia x

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @DeeCee7 My wife used to talk about not seeing her Mam and Dad for ages and often wanted to go to tea with her Gran. All 3 were long dead of course but there was nothing to be gained by telling her that. In fact, whenever it would be kinder not to tell the truth - perhaps even to lie - that is what I did. You are doing everything right and there is no point at all in mentioning disposal of the house or anything else that might cause upset. It is not a betrayal of trust, not should there be any guilt in withholding the truth when done for the right reasons.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
John gave you the right to make those decisions about all the big and little pieces of his life and he did that for the best of reasons, that he trusted you to take right and proper care of his needs.

I believe he chose very wisely and that you are doing exactly what he thought you would do and fulfil your responsibilities and his expectations to the best of your ability.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Thank you so much everyone for your kind and measured words. They mean everything to me, like little guiding lights in the rough channel we find ourselves in.

jam shed

Jan 19, 2024
I know this subject has been raised before, but I just wanted to talk about it, as I am finding it hard to deal with in a rational way. Our friend John is now safely living in a care home and the staff are all wonderful. He is self funding, and we hold LPA for Property and Finance so have been tasked with clearing and selling his house, as he has no family.
The last few months have been very traumatic ( see my other posts on DoLs etc) but we can now see, hopefully, calmer waters ahead. We have endeavoured to make his room more cosy and homely, moving in a favourite chair, his bookcase, books, pictures and momentoes. I found some photo albums which haven’t seen the light of day for many years, and we went through one of them together. John cried when he saw happy childhood photos and one of his mother. I felt awful ( we have never seen him cry before or show any emotion in over 40 years) and asked him if I should put them away for a while, but he said no, and when I suggested framing one or two of the loose photos he was in agreement. Now I am worried that he will get upset again when I take them in.
Also, he has recognised the ornaments etc, but hasn’t asked why we are bringing them in. He still talks occasionally about leaving and going home, and I have learned to deflect or divert successfully. However, now the house is being sold, and actually went on the market today, I am feeling really guilty that I haven’t told him, even though I know he won’t understand, and is confused over where he lives/lived, mostly referring to his childhood home.
He has also, in the last few weeks, started to say he hasn’t been visiting his mother and really should, and would we like to go. I have deflected this saying, oh yes when the weather is better etc, but one day I said that as he was 88 she would be over 120 and is no longer with us, and he said, oh has she died, but half an hour later continued to talk about visiting her.
I think my problem is coming to terms with not telling the truth, even though I know it would only bring upset, albeit temporary as he would forget again. I know it’s the kindest and selfless thing to do, but I really feel deceitful and that I have betrayed his trust in the only friends he has.
Coupled with going through over 50 years of hoarding every possession, every letter, bill, rooms filled to overflowing with clutter, I have tried to keep and treasure for him a very heavily curated selection of memorabilia for him. It’s like trying to hold onto fragments of a life and memories that are slipping away. Who am I to make these decisions over another life?

jam shed

Jan 19, 2024
Omg please don't feel guilty for protecting him which is what you are doing. I'm just learning that with dementia honesty is not the best policy here.
Deviating from the truth doesn't come easy for me either but I'm going to have to learn for my auntie's peace of mind and my sanity, she can be very difficult and I know its part of the condition , be proud of yourself and keep doing what you think is best, take care x

Kristo

Apr 10, 2023
You have done everything right, this is such a hard road to navigate and you have shown compassion and sensitivity to John. He is lucky to have you advocating for him. I must admit that I feel the same every time I have to tell a “love lie” or when I have to talk to professionals about my Dad’s condition, but I just keep telling myself that I would want someone to do the same for me if I were in that position. Keep going, you’re doing great x

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Omg please don't feel guilty for protecting him which is what you are doing. I'm just learning that with dementia honesty is not the best policy here.
Deviating from the truth doesn't come easy for me either but I'm going to have to learn for my auntie's peace of mind and my sanity, she can be very difficult and I know its part of the condition , be proud of yourself and keep doing what you think is best, take care x
Thank you @jam shed for your kind words. It’s a tricky road to navigate isn’t it? Good luck with the journey with your Auntie, it’s all about learning as you go, like becoming a parent, there’s no blueprint. And take care too!

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
You have done everything right, this is such a hard road to navigate and you have shown compassion and sensitivity to John. He is lucky to have you advocating for him. I must admit that I feel the same every time I have to tell a “love lie” or when I have to talk to professionals about my Dad’s condition, but I just keep telling myself that I would want someone to do the same for me if I were in that position. Keep going, you’re doing great x
Thank you @Kristo, it’s good to know we aren’t alone and others are living the same experience. You are a great support to your Dad and doing your best for him in such difficult times.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Just thought I would share this update with the forum, as I found your previous replies so uplifting, they helped to carry me onwards.
Our friend John has settled so well in his care home and is really living his best life there, surrounded by a very loving and caring staff, with lots of kind fellow residents who all join in with the daily, varied and stimulating activities. He never talks about going home now.
Last Friday we finally completed on the sale of his house of 65 years to fund his nursing home care. We had decided not to tell him about this either, to avoid upset. Some weeks ago he asked me where his car was. He had a car but he had sold it over 35 years ago, which I reminded him about. Then, it was very eerie that the day after we sold the house he turned to me on our visit, and said “Is it right that I have sold my …..car?”. My heart was in my mouth before the word car came out!
So the house sale was one weight of our minds. But life throws all sorts at you, doesn’t it? Can I share this as I have nobody now to confide in, as my best friend of 50 years is also in a care home after a mental breakdown. She is still receiving weekly ECT treatments, and I worry about all of that too.
The mother of my beautiful soon to be 9, granddaughter, has decided after therapy, that to help her own mental health and that of her daughter’s , to leave home. She is now living away in a property recently left to her by her father. This is the second family she has left, so it was always in my mind that history would repeat itself. My son has tried so hard in all of this, and it is heartbreaking to witness the pain and uoset, but fortunately we live nearby, and as the mother had never cared properly for her daughter, we are just carrying on as before in terms of childcare and domestic duties. Fortunately the junior school are offering my granddaughter weekly counselling support to help her manage her anger and difficult feelings. But to top it all, I have managed to trip over and fracture my arm this week, and sprain my ankle so my help is severely curtailed at the moment, 10 days before trying to organise a birthday sleepover for her. I know things will improve but right now I just wanted to share this, as I know that this is a safe sharing space, unlike King Midas’s barber who whispered his secret to the ground, and when the wind blew through the reeds the secret was revealed!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank you so much for the update @DeeCee7.

I’m glad that your friend has settled well. You have so much still on your plate just now - I hope sharing here has helped a little. I hope your arm and your ankle heal well. Take care of yourself.

Kristo

Apr 10, 2023
I have a similar update, Dad has moved into a care home and is really enjoying it. We have just sold his car (haven’t told him!) because it hadn’t moved for 8 years.

My children have coped really well so far with the transition, although my youngest hasn’t been to visit my dad yet, which is absolutely fine, and I have informed her school so that they can offer her support too.

I really didn’t think that Dad would settle so well, the home is brilliant and I cannot believe where we are now compared to a year ago. Residential care has been the solution that none of knew we needed and I can highly recommend looking into it as an option, even if you think your friend or relative will hate it, it could be the right thing. Good luck everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kare143