From Bad to Worse

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
I am slightly coming to the end of my thread again! In the last two weeks my dad has been reported by his social group as being "angry" and even threatened to throw one of the volunteers laptop at her. She was very accepting of my apology and very accepting of my dads dementia. Unfortunately one of the volunteers isn't so accepting and has talked about banning him. This would screw me up completely, its my few hours a couple of times a week that I know he is with his friends.

He saw his GP last week, who has confirmed Age Related Dementia. Its kind of a relief as its now on his record and he won't have to see a consultant or go through tests etc. She did not offer any medication, I'm not sure there even is anything.

Yesterday we went for lunch. Its the first time EVER that I have suspected he hadn't showered. He didn't smell, but there was no "freshness". He certainly hadn't shaved and when I asked him he said his skin was sore. I have offered to get him an electric shaver but he is completely anti.

He was struggling with his words, not just finding them but he was quite slurred too. He brought up a few topics which I went with, as I know that he will have thought forward and knows what he wants to say. He even struggled with these.

He has the vacant look....the stare....

Thank you for reading my rant, I think that's just what I needed!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s not just a rant @JoannePat it`s an indication life is changing for your father and possible adaptations to your expectancies may be in order.

It`s a rude awakening I know but it sounds as if he is losing control over his ability to continue his usual way of life.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Thank you @Grannie G for your reply. It really does feel that way. We have had a rough few weeks, from really bad aggression (verbal), to now not knowing what is going on around him. He just is receptive to anything we suggest or say. Its a very lonely place at the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ering