The night before the move!

Raindancer11

Apr 6, 2018
It’s the night before for me today, I have felt positive up till now, that is was the right thing to do, she would receive better care. At the moment she sleeps, eats, very little, and then goes back to bed, she is 88 and was diagnosed with vascular dementia 14 years ago. My dad is 85 and has done his best but just can’t cope anymore. I live 200 miles away but used to visit every month but covid put a stop to that.
I feel she has deteriorated so much over the past 6 months that I wonder how much time she has left and feel so cruel that she isn’t spending her final time at home, in her own bed. But on the other hand it will be so much better for her to have proper care and support, if she will allow it lol, and to be with other people and be stimulated.
I am really struggling today and have no idea how I am going to get through dropping her off tomorrow.
Please believe me, at hard as it may feel .you have made the right decision for everyone. I also felt immense guilt before the move, but on the move in day the staff were so well prepared and they were absolutely brilliant! I timed it so that she arrived just before lunch so that she would eat there. I left her very happily tucking into her lunch. Yes for the first few pod visits, it was hard as she was still settling it BUT I could see how she was being very well looked after. Now, when I visit, she is looks amazing! Not tired or frail looking but obviously well nourished and cared for. I can see how the stimulation has improved her mental health - she laughs and talks non-stop. She is happy. I hope the same will happen for your mother as I am sure it will and you and your family can relax knowing that she is being well cared for.
UPDATE - I have just read your update to say that mum has settled in well , I am so happy to hear that !