The last straw.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you Scarlett, that really made me smile.A good start to the day! It makes so much difference to have understanding along the way.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Oh Scarlett you are a gem, you manage to sum up these situations with your poems in such a clever way!

Bemused hope things are better today. I know you are self-funding but do you have involvement with Social Services? Most of these agencies are reliant on work from SS and it could be worth mentioning the poor treatment you are getting. Just a thought. xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
This morning's update. Said troublemaker didn't turn up to shadow'she is coming down with a cold'.
I await with baited breath the call that tells me this and what they intend to do about it
No ss jinx they don't really do anything for self funders. Their idea of advice is to give you their guide to care and tell you to ring around. They told me when I had a carers assessment that I would probably wait months only to be told this.
Next step is to make the complaint official and then take it to the ombudsman if I don't get any satisfaction.

Last edited:

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Bemused, I am appalled at the situation you are in.

I know from experience that some care workers are real gems, others are not bad but one or two are a disgrace and should not be allowed anywhere near vulnerable people. I would think that the manager(s) must be well aware of the bad care worker's "performance" - they will have received reports from other service users, as well as feedback from good care workers about this person. It may even be the case that they would like to get rid of her but need valid grounds of course. I am wondering if the fact that the good carer told you what the other one said may indicate that good carer wants you to speak out. This can work two ways - it could validate what the good carer also should be saying to her employers or good carer may want you to speak out instead of her. Do you know if good carer has complained about bad carer to their employer?

What I am trying to say (a bit long winded) is beware of fighting a battle which should not be yours to fight. I sometimes get snide remarks made by careworkers about other colleagues which, if repeated could cause a lot of bother - nothing near the importance of your concerns - but just a bit of "loading the gun for me to fire".

Good care workers ought to be pestering their manager(s) about this person. After all, if someone like this continues to be employed it lowers the reputation of the whole organisation.

The real battle is getting the care and support you and your husband need and deserve and I hope you get some real help soon. xx

Lilac

Last edited:

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
You are absolutely right lilac and this is not my fight, the girl is going to trip herself up. But in the meantime things for my husband are going from bad to worse.

In this case I trust good carer and the remark to me was unprompted. But yes I do not about axes to grind. My battle is personal and it is as you say making sure husband is looked after and I do not get pushed over the edge.

He said / she said is a two edged sword and one I would be careful of using. Not only is this person decanting me in the proverbial but she,s doing it to her colleagues as well. Unfortunately the agency has deteriorated so far lately that the bad guys are running it by just pulling out for a number of 'reasons' and leaving everyone in the lurch.

I would be out faster than the speed of light if I could find another agency but really stuck
Thanks Lilac, every suggestion helps.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Not good on so many levels and you and your husband are stuck in the middle. Just hoping there are peaceful parts of the day for you now.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you Es there are. Just taken Jess for a stroll, not walks any more sadly.
Regained my sense of humour somewhat. Looking forward to excuse number 3 in the '
how to make a clients life even more difficult ' book.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
It's hard to believe that a so-called carer can go to such lengths to put people against me. Good carer has been here from day one for two years. She knows my imperfections and accepts that there are days when I'm wound tighter than a watch spring, so why try to damage that relationship. I've met some malicious people in my life but this one takes the biscuit.
Round two tomorrow.

Whoever this is; she needs reminding that she's a guest in your house, bemused. Since she doesn't pay your house bills, mate, I'd give her an earwigging if it were me. Grrr:mad::mad::mad:

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Go in there guns blazing :mad:

Mentioning the fact....

If it wasn't for people like you needing them.... They wouldn't have a job

You are doing THEM a favour not the other way round.

Quote from Mahatma Ghandi

A patient is the most important visitor on our premises

They are not dependant on us, we are dependant on them

They are not an interruption to our work, they are the purpose of it

They are not an outsider to our business, they are a part of it

We are not doing them a favour by serving them

they are giving us a favour, by giving us an opportunity to do so

Extra bit by 2jays.... And I'm paying your wages....

and tell them to put that in their pipe and smoke it.....

or perhaps a more politically correct terminology that for the life of me, just now........

I can't think of any thing politically correct.....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

2Jays; that was exactly me this morning. I've got used to counting myself as the barrel scrapings. But here's an awful lot of money to be made out of disability. So next time I see anyone on a forum having a go at the disabled, I'll be reminding them of that.

Hats off to you for your comment.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Good care workers ought to be pestering their manager(s) about this person. After all, if someone like this continues to be employed it lowers the reputation of the whole organisation.

Lilac

I agree with you in many ways LB except...

Often managers of care agencies have been promoted beyond their capabilities. Often they were carers - sometimes good and sometimes not - and they were promoted upwards and don't have a suitable skill set to be a manager. Mum had one named carer - Lovely Lisa, who was wonderful. We are still friends even though Mum went into care in 2013 and subsequently died this year. She had some OK ones and a couple who were pretty good plus several who were dire.

Lovely Lisa told me that the problem with the carers doing the reporting of colleagues - particularly if it was an attitude issue rather than a physical safety issue, was that they were marked for rocking the boat. They got bad shifts, poorly spaced patients, difficult / late ones and those on zero hour contracts got their hours cut or randomly variable. So most of the good ones voted with their feet.

What I did (as it was part of a large chain) was contact their quality control officer at Head Office and asked for an outline of their quality control in respect of various issues. I used an email address that didn't give my name and explained I could tell her the agency branch and people involved but I was concerned that my mother would "suffer" if my complaint to them was ascribed to her contract. They did a non specific inspection and things did improve and they actually asked me to let them know over time if there were problems. I replied then to say of the benefits of their intervention and one other time to query an issue that hadn't been resolved.

Is that an option for you? Even by phone if not email.

I do feel for you - as I do for all those poor souls who have care at home and have no-one to stick up for them and sort things out. check etc.

Take care x

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Celia I think this is exactly the culture in this agency. Unfortunate?y they seem to extend it to their self funding Clint's. If you have a personality clash, ask for specific people not to be sent you find your hours cut. I have had my seven days a week cut to 5 because of the two people I have clashed with. I was quite expecting another to be cut.
I think that's worth looking into Celia, I am concerned about being pushed even further. And I do feel a deep concern for the alone who are being messed around in probably a worse way. Once you know how you get punished you start worrying about others.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
One of the other carers has told me troublemaker is 'well enough to work' tonight. How about that. Supposed to be here yesterday shadowing , 'going down with a cold' supposed to be here this morning, still isn't well. This evening, well enough to work.It doesn't take much to work that out does it.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
One of the other carers has told me troublemaker is 'well enough to work' tonight. How about that. Supposed to be here yesterday shadowing , 'going down with a cold' supposed to be here this morning, still isn't well. This evening, well enough to work.It doesn't take much to work that out does it.

You just couldn't make it up.:eek:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West

Ridiculous! Can't decide, from your POV, whether you will hope she's on her best behaviour or whether you hope she really shows her true colours and they have to accept that she's useless.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
The latter to be honest Stanley. Once someone lets you down completely and then goes all out to make it obvious they have no intention of doing their job I really don't think I want them looking after my husband.

I'm glad you posted I was thinking earlier you were quiet. Hope everything is ok with you and sue

Last edited:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think you're right Bemused.

We're OK thanks Bemused. I suppose after all the excitement of the move and the possibility of returning to some of our old activities things have calmed down and we're settling in to the new regime. I've managed to line up a visit from a close friend on Sunday and, as carer K is away for the weekend, an extra visit from the 'backup agency' tomorrow so it won't be a lonely weekend. We do at least have a couple of people to interview for the additional care hours but the broker is now off on holiday. We'll get there!

More excitement looming any time now as Sue's daughter's due date is Sunday! Yes, our third grand-daughter of the year (1 for me, 2 for Sue) should arrive very shortly.:)

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Good to hear things are working out and some degree of regular is returning.
Hope all goes well for granddaughters great entrance

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hope all goes well for grandchild 3 of 2015 stanley.

Bemused, it's just desperate that vulnerable people (that includes carers) are treated like this. So sorry you are under so much pressure at the moment. Hope that Celia's suggestions may effect some change longer term.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
james4152