The last straw.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
On the CHC issue Bemused, have you had a look at the CHC checklist to see if you think husband fulfils the criteria for moving to a full assessment? Everything you say about him suggests that he very well might and the DN must have thought this. Forget about the area for now, the key question at the moment is how he would on the checklist if the DN filled it in in your presence so that you could give chapter and verse.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
On the CHC issue Bemused, have you had a look at the CHC checklist to see if you think husband fulfils the criteria for moving to a full assessment? Everything you say about him suggests that he very well might and the DN must have thought this. Forget about the area for now, the key question at the moment is how he would on the checklist if the DN filled it in in your presence so that you could give chapter and verse.

I think he would. Stanley. Maybe I need to ask the dn next time they call. Which is something of a lottery. There are so many things piling on at the moment it's kind of slipped to the back of my mind.
I have had a look but I don't think I'm the best person, I can't be objective and think he's nowhere near that bad yet. Even though I know he most probably is.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I understand what you're saying Bemused. I used to, almost instinctively, play down Sue's problems when talking to medics rather as some PWD are often depicted on TP as doing. But I gradually realised that this was not doing her, or me, any good. And something like the checklist is helpful in that it forces you to acknowledge how difficult things have become.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I understand what you're saying Bemused. I used to, almost instinctively, play down Sue's problems when talking to medics rather as some PWD are often depicted on TP as doing. But I gradually realised that this was not doing her, or me, any good. And something like the checklist is helpful in that it forces you to acknowledge how difficult things have become.

I'll take that on board Stanley and maybe try running through it myself

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
We have had a few problems with so called Care Agencies bemused, but that is ridiculous and downright disgraceful.

There's no such thing as a perfect agency rob but this one is particularly bad in that they have no qualms whatsoever about just leaving you in the lurch'. If I have a week when all our calls are filled its cause for celebration. As my husband deteriorates its getting harder to manage alone.
I just do not want to be forced to find a care home for him to end his life in because of completely immoral 'care' agencies.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
There's no such thing as a perfect agency rob but this one is particularly bad in that they have no qualms whatsoever about just leaving you in the lurch'. If I have a week when all our calls are filled its cause for celebration. As my husband deteriorates its getting harder to manage alone.
I just do not want to be forced to find a care home for him to end his life in because of completely immoral 'care' agencies.

I know how you feel bemused, don't think I would like to send my OH to a Care Home if we can avoid it. That's not to say we are near that stage yet.
Good luck with Stanley's idea of CHC checklists and assessment.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I know how you feel bemused, don't think I would like to send my OH to a Care Home if we can avoid it. That's not to say we are near that stage yet.
Good luck with Stanley's idea of CHC checklists and assessment.
It would be an insult to the many people who have taken that very brave step to say it's a bad thing always Rob. But there are no longer behavioural issues with his dementia.it's the physical problems that need the carers. He's lost an awful lot of weight and I have,a lot of equipment but there comes a point where he no longer knows what's going on or what happens next. So with all the equipment I have on my own I am running around the bed moving dead weight.with just one other it's relatively easy.He wants to be at home and that's where I want him. If it isn't possible for some other reason than rubbish agencies thats another question.
Well they won't get away with the 'full of colds' story again. I shall just say no problem I have,masks send them in. Pity didn't think of it this time they would have been right up **** creek because I know perfectly well they were being manipulative but just can t take the risk.

Last edited:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It would be an insult to the many people who have taken that very brave step to say it's a bad thing always Rob. But there are no longer behavioural issues with his dementia.it's the physical problems that need the carers. He's lost an awful lot of weight and I have,a lot of equipment but there comes a point where he no longer knows what's going on or what happens next. So with all the equipment I have on my own I am running around the bed moving dead weight.with just one other it's relatively easy.He wants to be at home and that's where I want him. If it isn't possible for some other reason than rubbish agencies thats another question.
Well they won't get away with the 'full of colds' story again. I shall just say no problem I have,masks send them in. Pity didn't think of it this time they would have been right up **** creek because I know perfectly well they were being manipulative but just can t take the risk.

I think the masks are a very good idea Bemused. If someone is really 'full of cold' they shouldn't really be at work caring for vulnerable people anyway but if, as you suspect, it's a ploy or if they are a bit 'snuffly' I'm sure your response would have the effect you anticipate.

Understand entirely about Care Home. It's often unavoidable but to have to consider it because the only agency you have access to is rubbish would be appalling.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol

I meant no insult to anybody bemused. Sorry if it sounded offensive, it just feels better for us to stay together.
From what the carers tell me the agency we have always sends two carers if there is lifting and moving to do, though some complain about having been left to do it alone on occasions. Sorry I blundered in as usual, not realising. Rob

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I meant no insult to anybody bemused. Sorry if it sounded offensive, it just feels better for us to stay together.
From what the carers tell me the agency we have always sends two carers if there is lifting and moving to do, though some complain about having been left to do it alone on occasions. Sorry I blundered in as usual, not realising. Rob

Cross purposes Rob I didn't mean you were being insulting I meant I didn't want to insult people by being so anti care homes for my husband.It was not in the least offensive, we all feel that way but for some it isn't possible.
It depends on the agency, some will work with 'amateurs' but others wont, ours will.
We did have two for quite a while but they just randomly put two carers in and sometimes they hadn't even met before so my poor husband was deeply miserable. As soon as I cancelled the second carer there has been nothing but problems but my husband is a lot happier and when we have a carer it works fine. As ive said often before the carers are now ok its the management that are rubbish they couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Understand entirely about Care Home. It's often unavoidable but to have to consider it because the only agency you have access to is rubbish would be appalling.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly how I fell stanley

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I was going to suggest using masks but didn't want to seem facetious.I've been looking back over your old threads bemused,what a lot of trials and tribulations you've been through.I know I could never do what you and so many others do,I do care but am not a carer.My husband (jokingly?)has asked me to promise to find a care home for him if he ever becomes ill.I can see where he is coming from.How sad is that.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
When I read of the horrible experiences suffered by members with Care Agencies
I thank God that I opted to have care for my wife ,(and subsequently for myself ,)with the Local council Direct staff
Their standards , by and large, conform with those set down by the Department of Health Domiciliary Care National Minimum Standards and Conditions

http://lx.iriss.org.uk/sites/default/files/resources/Domiciliary care.pdf

Interesting reading for those of you who have agency care with poor standards

The new carers have to do a 4 week period ‘shadowing’ the experienced carers (they insist this is done even with carers who claim previous experience
They have to attend courses and lectures and qualify to NVQ 1 standards and then NVQ 2 at a later stage
I hope and pray that I will always have the benefit of these carers and their Direct Labour organisation
When I read of the horrible service that some of you get from Agencies I wonder how they get away with it
I don’t suppose all Councils standards are good , but it does confirm my view that Council Direct Services are preferable to some of the Agencies
Some years ago when I worked for Local Authority it was a condition on contracts that the’ contractors ‘ paid the standard rates of pay and upheld the standards laid down for that industry
It is quite clear that these conditions are no longer applied ,or are ignored to suit the lowest estimates to save money
jimbo

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Just wanted to say how sorry I am you are once again having to struggle so hard to care for your husband as you would wish to bemused. Actually you are asking for very little help when you do so much yourself, it's shocking that this cannot be provided. I can only wish things will get better, although you must be close to despairing of this. A big hug for you both and of course a pat for Jess.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Just wanted to say how sorry I am you are once again having to struggle so hard to care for your husband as you would wish to bemused. Actually you are asking for very little help when you do so much yourself, it's shocking that this cannot be provided. I can only wish things will get better, although you must be close to despairing of this. A big hug for you both and of course a pat for Jess.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you es I really thought we had turned the corner but leaving me with no help at all is beyond belief after I told them how difficult things are getting.very very wise to complete despair. But we'll manage somehow.
I hope Nick keeps drinking its a really hard one to overcome. In my ohs case I don't fight it any longer, I encourage him but his choices are made and that's it. Hugs for you both, jess says all pats are welcome. She is doing ok .

Last edited:

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
When I read of the horrible experiences suffered by members with Care Agencies
I thank God that I opted to have care for my wife ,(and subsequently for myself ,)with the Local council Direct staff
Their standards , by and large, conform with those set down by the Department of Health Domiciliary Care National Minimum Standards and Conditions

http://lx.iriss.org.uk/sites/default/files/resources/Domiciliary care.pdf

Interesting reading for those of you who have agency care with poor standards

The new carers have to do a 4 week period ‘shadowing’ the experienced carers (they insist this is done even with carers who claim previous experience
They have to attend courses and lectures and qualify to NVQ 1 standards and then NVQ 2 at a later stage
I hope and pray that I will always have the benefit of these carers and their Direct Labour organisation
When I read of the horrible service that some of you get from Agencies I wonder how they get away with it
I don’t suppose all Councils standards are good , but it does confirm my view that Council Direct Services are preferable to some of the Agencies
Some years ago when I worked for Local Authority it was a condition on contracts that the’ contractors ‘ paid the standard rates of pay and upheld the standards laid down for that industry
It is quite clear that these conditions are no longer applied ,or are ignored to suit the lowest estimates to save money
jimbo

Our council has no direct services whatsoever jimbo.
I have to say in support of our carers they are fine, some better than others but all ok.it's management that is complete rubbish. Added to the fact that this agency puts the only self funders in this area right at the bottom of the heap regardless of need.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Just need to keep this all together I am being pushed too far this time.
This week's roster has all my calls covered. But when I last spoke to care coordinator I specifically said to keep calls at a regular time because hubs was often still asleep when carers arrived and it was hard on him. For the last five weeks we have had 8.30 no problem. This week we have Mon Tues Thurs Fri at 8.15. Sat sun at 8.30 and weds at 8.00. Not huge time differences but specifically not what I asked for. Arrrggggghhhhhhhh

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I do know what you mean bemused, routine is so very important and other people who don't have to live with it just don't understand. Love and hugs to all three.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx