The effects of the full moon on dementia

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Rencat.

No matter how much dementia affects behaviour, carers are not employed to be physically attacked.

Please consult your wife`s doctor. If you are sure her behaviours are only affected by the moon, there might be some medication which will help at these times. If these behaviours are random, then other medication might be prescribed.

If your wife was your carer. how are you managing? It sounds as if you would benefit from an assessment to update your needs.

Please don`t suffer in silence. Ask for help for both of you. No one will know how much you are struggling unless you make your needs known.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Reading this having had 3 nights when husband refused to go to bed till 3am, and 2am. Feeling very tired. In addition he has said that he feels more muddled and he is definitely more snappy with me.

Like others I have been putting behaviours in a diary and note that this type of behaviour is linked to full moon.

I also feel guilty because when I am suffering from sleep deprivation I struggle to stay calm and do get upset. There has been much going into the garden this week to pull myself together!

I remind myself on a daily basis that he cannot help it, he cannot change his behaviour so I must change mine.

I still love him completely and remind him that he can forget other things but must never forget that. This does make him smile.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I remind myself on a daily basis that he cannot help it, he cannot change his behaviour so I must change mine.

We do this all the time @GillP but it doesn`t prevent exhaustion or even irritation.

Nurses have told me the full moon definitely affects many patients and is noticeable on a full inpatient ward.

My husband was affected by the moon all his life and was even more affected when he had dementia.

GulliesGirl

Aug 10, 2022
I have been caring for my mother who has vascular dementia for the past 6months. I am now convinced that there is a connection between the full moon and her behaviour.
For about 3 days before the full moon and for between 3 and 6 days after the full moon her mood and personality completely changes. It is very hard to bare her moods during this period and I am hoping some other carers have any top tips on what can be done during this time period. For the rest of the month my Mam goes back to being her usual easy to please and grateful persona. Has anyone else experienced this
I am so delighted to find this group and to be part of it
I am convinced the full moon directly effects my father’s mood and behaviour. It is so hard to deal with. Initially I would never have believed that something like the moon could impact mental health however, after helping with my father now for the past few years I just cannot deny it. I have tracked his outbursts and he has not experienced a full moon without acting out. During these times he is hateful and abusive, thinks the whole world is against him and cannot be reasoned with. I built on to my parents home as I am an only child- so I could help out and I constantly worry even being next door. My mother’s life has never been easy and it’s gotten progressively worse. Even when I was child he was difficult due to alcohol abuse. He gave that up about 20 years ago. Now with the dementia, he is like a spoiled child that everyone tiptoes around to keep him happy. When he is unhappy he is cruel and everyone is unhappy. I’m not sure how much more we can take. Nobody deserves to live like this. If it was just the dementia now and he hadn’t been so mean when I was a child I think it would be easier but if I’m completely honest, I wish he was in a home.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @GulliesGirl welcome. It sounds as if things are difficult at home sometimes and I wonder if you or your Mum have spoken to your Dad's GP about his mood changes and outbursts? A medication review can be helpful as there might be something that could be prescribed to help him, or maybe a change to any current medication, that could make things a bit better for your Mum. Keep posting as you'll find lots of friendly support here and if you think a chat with someone about the situation would help I recommend the Dementia Connect Support Line (assuming that you are in the UK?) as the staff are really helpful:

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @GulliesGirl welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I know a few people who believe that a full moon affects mood and there are certainly a few phases in the English language that suggest the moon is responsible for bad behaviour!

I think Louise’s suggestion of asking for medication is a good one - especially if it will only be needed occasionally.

Don’t discount a carehome, eventually most people with dementia need more attention than families can provide at home.

I hope now you’ve found us you’ll keep posting ?