The BIG collection - 27 - 28 May 2011: can you help?

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Thanks again to everyone who volunteered today. Brilliant work. :)

Myself and another volunteer raised just under £200 from our store. We met some lovely people, many of whom had their own personal experiences of dementia.

Very best wishes to all who are going out to collect tomorrow,

My team leader left me a voicemail at 9.15 this morning (probably while I was phoning HQ on another phone to check that it was still happenning at my supermarket!). She'd only been given the list of names yesterday. I did my 12-3 stint, more AS staff than volunteers around, and there wasn't supposed to be a presence after 3pm (but a staff member and I stayed till 4pm), a shame to miss busy Friday night trade. Tomorrow no collection at all. Seems that local staff weren't allowed to use their local contacts to recruit volunteers, it all had to be done centrally. There certainly seem to be some major structural problems still within AS - I just hope that none of the money we've raised gets wasted because of any problems.

But on the positive side we had a lovely big display of leaflets etc from local resources, and we were collecting inside the store! I'd debated how many layers of warm/weatherproof layers to wear and ended up in the rather scruffy shirt which I'd expected to hide under outdoor clothes. Lots of very positive reactions from the public, and a pleasing number of young people giving money. Pam

Last edited:

sonia owen

Collection

Hi All,

We finished our 3 hours of collecting, between 3pm till 6pm. Really enjoyed doing our bit. Did'n t really have to do much,as there seemed to be so many folks telling us just how this illness effects their lifes, or someone they know.
Our team leader took ttwo buckets in to Tesco, to use their coin counting machine, which most of the stores have.Collected over £200 in two buckets. He had another two buckets to do in the morning. He will have to check with Tesco's , as they had been lead to believe that Tesco had said there would be no charge for using the machine over the weekend. But it did charge him. Maybe they did'nt class Friday as the weekend . So he will question this in the morning, and hopeful they will get the charges back again.

Welll done to all who are collecting.
Love Sonia xxxxxx

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
phew ...........I've just finished counting today's money and reached just over £500 over two stores.

We didn't have all the shifts full today, but every slot is full tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone collecting tomorrow :)

geordielass

Apr 29, 2010
St Austell Cornwall
new t member

Hi, am a rather new member, but already lost an aunt with this awful awful illness, and our vey good family friend has it also,, his wife is the one I feel so sorry for, as she gets very frustrated.,

Last edited:

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
I did my two hours collecting and it went well, i was supplied with a seat inside the store and was pleased about that as it was not at all warm.....the picture is of me and my team leader whom works for Alzheimer,s a pleasant lady called Kate.

Cynthia

Attachments

• small collection.JPG
    small collection.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 221

nellieb

Apr 3, 2011
Hertfordshire
The Big Collection

I signed up to do both days too but unfortunately having already sprained an ankle I managed to get an awful stomach bug on Friday too. I hope you managed to find a replacement and collected loads of money from Tesco at Watford. Til next time.
nellieb.:eek:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Those are very big buckets aren't they? Somehow I envisioned something a little smaller. In fact, what's with the buckets and the collecting can?

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
CALLING ALL T P'ers FROM YORK OR AREA

Hello, Was :( Not able to "Do The Big Collection " , this is due to the fact we do not have a Tesco in my Town ! ! . However THERE IS ONE in York its Mega BIG & do hope some body was Collecting there . Bet they would make a lot of Money :):) as it servers a BIG AREA

Please would like to be told & hope a T P er sees this & can post a postive reply :) Thank you

Imac you did EXTREAMLY WELL ON YOUR AMOUNT, WELL DONE IMAC :):):)

wELL DONE TO EVERY BODY TAKING PART :) & helping Carers & The Altz Society improve the lives of suffers , Is that right ? not what sure what the Money is for ?

Best Wishes Love Grove x x

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Between two stores we raised just over £1400. It was a shame that a couple of people didn't arrive or cancelled because I think we would have got £2,000.

Everyone was so generous and supportive.

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
Very well done to you all, it sounds like you did brilliantly. :D

Lovely picture, Cynthia. :)

Again, thanks so much for giving your time.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Well done to all who did their stint of collecting..:)

I was looking forward to my slot for yesterday morning when out of the blue I had a voicemail message from someone saying that they had too many volunteers for Saturday morning..could I do 3-6 Saturday afternoon instead...:(

I didn't even bother to reply as I'd worked my weekend around this.

Sorry..not impressed with the organisation in my area.

xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I turned up for my slot, met the team leader who is an AS employee and who told me she was in her dream job. I met my co-collector whose husband has FTD (like my dad) and we had a bit of a chat. I was handed my bucket, and a sash - so far so good.

So 10 o'clock came and I dutifully stood at the entrance, trying to look pleasant. I know, not something that comes easily to me. I had my AS t-shirt on and made sure the words 'Alzheimers Society' were positioned across my not insignificant bust. 10.15 came, not a brass farthing, and my plastered smile was looking more of a grimace. People saw me and actually changed direction, including a someone I know for a fact has more than a couple of bob to his name. I resisted the temptation to shout "I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!" :D

Then a lady came up and put some coins in and told me she was having tests for AD next week, how worried she was, and how she couldn't find anything on the internet. I cursed myself for not having a stack of TP leaflets.

A lady came and put some coins in saying 'My dad had dementia' and the lady behind waiting to give said 'Mine too'. 'Mine three' I said. :(

We had the jokers - 'Alzheimer's - I've forgotten what that is, ha ha' :mad: ; we had the people who suddenly found their till receipt as fascinating as the revelation of a super-injuntion; we had Mr. Ferrari who walked past me TWICE - presumably not giving to charity is how he can afford a Ferrari; and the woman who dropped her 40p donation on the floor and said 'you can pick that up' - OK fine I'll grovel on the floor :cool: .

But we had so many people wanting to give - young and old, including the poor woman who spent 10 minutes getting her purse out of her backpack. And so many people saying 'my mum has it', 'my brother's just been diagnosed'...

All in all very worthwhile having to be pleasant for a couple of hours - a new experience for me ;).

Later I went to M&S where the Samaritans were bag-packing. I told the woman packing my bag that I had been collecting for AS at Tesco. 'Oh' said the woman on the till 'We're getting so much help from them as my mum's just been diagnosed...'

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well done you lot! I'm glad I didn't sign up now as mum has been so bad over this weekend I couldn't possibly have left her. Still I'm glad you all did so well. x