New to this

Bcc

May 1, 2024
Good morning my mother had sepsis in hospital and has lost all her cognitive functions she hallucinates and chats to past and present family and friends who are not there . And cannot walk without help of carers and hoist . It’s heartbreaking every time I see her and her sudden decline how do people cope with the upset of seeing a parent go from a healthy independent lady to a shell of her former self 😢

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and firstly welcome @Bcc to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your Mother. Dementia is such a cruel disease as you see a parent slowly but significantly decline in front of your very eyes. I had the same with my dear Mum.
Like yours, she was a very upright, independent lady, full of life and loved to chat. To see them decline so is heartbreaking. I do so feel for you. I don't necessarily have any words of advice as to how to cope, but I certainly understand, as many people on here will.
Wishing you continued strength.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome to you Bcc.
Sepsis is a treatable condition/illness and you can recover if not fully but when the infection clears up things, hopefully will get a whole lot better for her.
I had viral encphilitis, got sectioned, DoLSO the whole lot and I post on here as a carer, all better now, back at home sat on the kitchen with a cup of coffee, sadly my wife (the reason I post on here) passed away while I was in a coma.
I assume that as I had a medical condition not dementia that I get treated differently to someone who has dementia, my strawberry blonde care worker came yesterday, next visit is Friday, she comes twice a week (all free, section 117 funded) and we just sit around and chat or have a wander round the shops.
Hopefully the sepsis can be cleared up and back to normal for her. Good luck. K

Bcc

May 1, 2024
Hello and welcome to you Bcc.
Sepsis is a treatable condition/illness and you can recover if not fully but when the infection clears up things, hopefully will get a whole lot better for her.
I had viral encphilitis, got sectioned, DoLSO the whole lot and I post on here as a carer, all better now, back at home sat on the kitchen with a cup of coffee, sadly my wife (the reason I post on here) passed away while I was in a coma.
I assume that as I had a medical condition not dementia that I get treated differently to someone who has dementia, my strawberry blonde care worker came yesterday, next visit is Friday, she comes twice a week (all free, section 117 funded) and we just sit around and chat or have a wander round the shops.
Hopefully the sepsis can be cleared up and back to normal for her. Good luck. K
Sepsis is all gone and it’s been two and half months since and condition physically and mentally getting worse