The BIG collection - 27 - 28 May 2011: can you help?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You don't have to collect for the whole day iMac.

Mine has been called off because I seem to be the only volunteer.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I volunteered for the whole day, but I'm only needed for 2 hours as they've had so many volunteers. Imac if they could beam me up I'd come and help you out.

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Yeah i know, i am only doing the 9-12 shift but i am so shocked that no one else is doing any of the others shifts!

Apparently Saturday is over booked:cool:

Sue it would have been lovely to see you there.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
what a total fiasco! I am so glad I saw the pitfalls early and pulled out!

I think that's a rather sad comment. Don't you think you need to consider cause and effect? After all, if people choose not to volunteer for whatever reason (and of course no one has to) then they must share some measure of responsibility if the collection doesn't have enough people (unless you're in Sue's neck of the woods where they are obviously jostling for space :D).

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I would just like to wish everyone the best of luck for tomorrow and Saturday.
I am so saddened at these comments.

GrannieG said:
Mine has been called off because I seem to be the only volunteer.

Sue38 said:
I volunteered for the whole day, but I'm only needed for 2 hours as they've had so many volunteers.

I'm not a million miles from Sue - and there are lots of 'Tesco's' in between!!!!! If people were clamouring to volunteer it shouldn't have taken much organisation to ask them to travel a couple of miles extra to rattle a tin or bucket elsewhere?

For such a big exercise and target, it does all rather seem to have been organised ‘on a wing and a prayer’? Very disappointing.

Our local hospice has a massive anniversary and major fundraising campaign beginning this weekend. I can imagine anyone rattling a tin for AS in our part of the world outside any Tesco’s or elsewhere through the region will be quickly by-passed in favour of them ..... I really, honestly feel for people trying to do their best and wish those of you who do turn out a good day, or hour, or two days or whatever....... and that AS learn from this event ..... whether or not they raise the money they had anticipated.

Jenniferpa said:
I think that's a rather sad comment. Don't you think you need to consider cause and effect? After all, if people choose not to volunteer for whatever reason (and of course no one has to) then they must share some measure of responsibility if the collection doesn't have enough people

Is that an insult to GrannieG that she couldn't find a friend or volunteer to collect with her has meant her attempts to volunteer being thwarted are somehow her responsibility?

What on earth has 'responsibility' got to do with this, Jennifer?
The responsibility for this fund-raising attempt can surely only lie with the people who dreamt up the idea and those who were meant to organise it?

I digress. Wishing all those volunteers who have chosen to take part, the very best of luck.:)

Karen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Wishing you all the best of luck today and for the rest of the weekend with your Bucket collection, get vocal and rattle those collection buckets xxx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks Maggie. Think we might need wellies, umbrellas and waterproofs down here! Roads flooded on my way home from work last night!:eek:

KatherineW

Oct 2, 2007
London
If people were clamouring to volunteer it shouldn't have taken much organisation to ask them to travel a couple of miles extra to rattle a tin or bucket elsewhere?

I know that the Tesco team have tried to ensure that every volunteer has a store to go to. For example, the store I was originally assigned to is now being refurbished, so I was asked a couple of weeks ago if I could go to another store instead – which fortunately I’m able to do.

Some volunteers might not be able to travel those extra couple of miles though, and of course it’s also possible that the next closest store to them will have their full quota of volunteers anyway.

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who is volunteering either today or tomorrow: we really appreciate your time and efforts. I hope you all stay warm and dry. :)

I hadn't heard from my team leader, so rang the central phone number just now to check that my store's collection was really gong ahead (worried after all the above stuff): the person I spoke to was very reassuring, found my store on her database, said that there are collectors there before and after me and a second one with me. So all set for 12-3. So all on track. (I was pleasantly surprised to get through quickly on the phone line, expected that they'd be totally clogged up with panicking or otherwise problematic collectors this morning!) Pam

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Well i have just returned from my morning slot which in fact lasted for nearly 4 hours.

I arrived at 8.30am and signed in and so on, by 8.35 i was at the shop front and had was starting to collect. Shockingly at 12.05 a man walked up to me and stated he was there as the next shift person. Apparently he had been moved from another store. He took over just before 12.20.

I had a very positive response to being there collecting from the public and managed to raise on my own £200.00, this i know as i had to put it into the Coinstar as no one was there to collect the money!

I would just like to say a big thank you to the public for their generosity.

Wishing you all well for you shifts today and tomorrow.

xx

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
I've heard from my team, and the collection tins are overflowing already :).

I had a few people drop out because things crop up, but a few new people arrived this morning.

i had to put it into the Coinstar as no one was there to collect the money!

Do you know if you were charged a fee for using the machine?

Last edited:

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Torquay calling

Will be rattling my tin outside Tesco`s in Torquay at Saturday lunchtime, love Norrms xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
I've heard from my team, and the collection tins are overflowing already :).

I had a few people drop out because things crop up, but a few new people arrived this morning.

Do you know if you were charged a fee for using the machine?

They werent meant to be charged but yes it did come off, have notified head office and they are looking into it.

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
Just been to Tesco + the collecters were there with their buckets, our branch also have the staff doing a sponsored cycle on an exercise bike. I put £10 in their bucket and then got in my car and had a good cry (just felt very emotional about it all NOT crying over giving money to AS!)
X

fulltimecarer

Jan 14, 2011
hampshire
I had a very good time. I will do it again!!!

All went well at the fundraising day here in portsmouth. Pitty the weather was not its best. Nevertheless I manage quite well and had an excelent response from people. I had a good laugh with every donator including children and people from other countries.
I will surely do it again. Thank you Alzheimers Society for your good work!:):):)

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
My comment...

was not sad, it was a reflection of the lack of organsisation. May I remind you I choose to volunteer for BOTH days and to be a team leader unitil I felt there were too many unanswered questions for me to feel I could take part.
As it is I have spent the whole day baking for a charity cake sale tomorrow, so please don't infer that I don't volunteer. I spent last weekend baking and selling and will be doing the same next weekend to (along with my daughter) The beneficiary will be ASBAH. We have also offered to do cake sales for "amenity funds" at Mum's two old day centres, and her current home thus benefitting local suffers of dementia.
I actually LIKE volunteering, in a few weeks time I shall be weilding paintbruhes to help redecorate a new community facility locally.
Of course somewhere inbetween I shall also be having a rest!

That said well done to those who have collected, those like Imac who have shown immense personal confidence doing it alone, that I could not do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julie1959