Tena pads

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
Just had a call from the care home. Mum has been receiving tena pads on an NHS prescription. Apparently she is no longer eligible. So care home are asking me to buy supplies. Staff at care home seemed surprised at the stopping of the pads but weren’t present at the interview. Surely they should have made sure an accurate account was given. Mum probably forgets she has accidents and is diagnosed with moderate to severe dementia. I am refusing to buy any - thoughts?

Phil2020

Oct 11, 2020
Pads are provided, as far as I am aware, on grounds of incontinence. It seems unlikely that that situation has 'got better' and the very fact that the care home is asking you to buy replacements suggest that it hasn't and your mum remains incontinent. Go back to the district nurses (or whoever stopped the prescription) and ask for an explanation. Whatever they say, put it in writing to them that your mum's incontinent (and make sure you date the 'letter') and ask for her prescription to be reinstated.

Tonyjoe

May 31, 2022
we talked with our GP, he prescribed pads and booked an incontinence nurse to visit. after the visit we never had a problem again

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
we talked with our GP, he prescribed pads and booked an incontinence nurse to visit. after the visit we never had a problem again
That’s what I don’t understand - she has been getting them delivered and supplied since January. Nothing has changed - she is not totally incontinent - just wees when she stands up and has small amounts of fecal incontinence.
Does anyone know what the criteria is?
Needless to say she can’t remember any of the conversation today.

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
Query why pads have been discontinued with local continence service and/or PALS
Hi - thanks. Do you know what the criteria is? Both my Mum and the care home say she can’t manage without them. I am being firm that I’m not paying - but just want to make sure I’m not being ‘difficult’.
But she isn’t totally incontinent - just wees in them sometimes most days and smears lots of the other but not totally incontinent! Do you have to be totally?
She can’t remember any of the conversation so I’m at a loss!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Was someone from the care home present at the interview or did the nurse just speak to your mum? If they only spoke to your mum, and she can't remember any of the conversation, then as suggested above speak to the nurse to find out exactly what was said. I'm surprised that they were supplying Tena pads for free as the ones supplied by my mum's care homes were always a cheaper brand, so perhaps there's been a communication break down and the Tena pads are no longer being supplied but something else is? If the care home don't agree with the decision perhaps they could contact the nurse too?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Hi - thanks. Do you know what the criteria is?
Differs with area.
Twelve years ago my LA would issue pull ups to an incontinent people who could demonstrate they could put them on and take them off unaided, reason was to promote independence.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Never, ever, did I think I'd reply to this thread but UK (England) the local nurse gave them free for my wife.
No idea how the system works she'd just turn up with bundles of the thongs.
I know I've asked this before but men caring for women as I did wife and mum too get better treatment or what?
Possibly it varies by UK country or region but I always found the help offered so kind and never paid a penny for the care offered. K

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
Was someone from the care home present at the interview or did the nurse just speak to your mum? If they only spoke to your mum, and she can't remember any of the conversation, then as suggested above speak to the nurse to find out exactly what was said. I'm surprised that they were supplying Tena pads for free as the ones supplied by my mum's care homes were always a cheaper brand, so perhaps there's been a communication break down and the Tena pads are no longer being supplied but something else is? If the care home don't agree with the decision perhaps they could contact the nurse too?
No one else present - I’m not sure why not tbh. I visit on Tuesdays so I’ll investigate tomorrow. Mum was probably hosting and said everything was fine - who knows!
Not totally sure they are Tena branded but big pads!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it tomorrow (excuse the pun) let us know how you get on.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Get the bottom of it and thongs, just made me laugh out loud. Dental flossing your neither regions...shut up kev.

Phil2020

Oct 11, 2020
That’s what I don’t understand - she has been getting them delivered and supplied since January. Nothing has changed - she is not totally incontinent - just wees when she stands up and has small amounts of fecal incontinence.
Does anyone know what the criteria is?
Needless to say she can’t remember any of the conversation today.
For mum's I have to order them every three months. You say your mum has been getting them delivered and supplied since January. Who has been ordering them? If it was the care home, have they just become a little 'fed up' doing that and want someone else to do it?

As to 'Does anyone know what the criteria is?', I really wouldn't go down that road of engaging with them about what constitutes incontinence. She 'just wees a little when she stands up'? Then she's incontinent! There's a 'small amount of fecal incontinence'? .... Then she's incontinent! Don't give 'the powers that be' an avenue to withdraw this help. Your mum's ENTITLED to it.

As far as i'm concerned incontinence is like pregnancy in that you can't be 'a little bit pregnant'! Incontinence isn't the nicest of things we carers have to deal with but deal with it we must.

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
Hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it tomorrow (excuse the pun) let us know how you get on.
The care home is going to raise an appeal as they said she shouldn’t have been seen on her own. They believe she is eligible - time will tell - hopefully they will sort it! 🤞

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Shocking that she was seen on her own - surely any professional in their right mind would have asked the care home responsible for her! Am sure an appeal will be successful……beggars belief tho and no good for ur stress levels!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@StressedDaughter , My OH gets Tena pullups on prescription via incontinence team but when originally prescribed I was told the NHS don't give them on a 'just in case basis'. By that she meant sometimes needs , sometimes not.

I explained that although he used the toilet still he needed pull ups, as opposed to pads, because he didn't get there in time and he was dribbling making his trousers wet . So not fully incontinent.

Possibly saying mums not ' totally incontinent ' has cancelled the order! Your mum may have told the nurse she uses the toilet . I'd explain that she needs the prescription still because she leaks before getting to the toilet. I.e as she stands up. Not a full bladder empty but enough to need protection. I think the NHS give a 4 pads a day or two pull ups. I've recently asked for an additional pull up as my oh is becoming double incontinent. My nurse sent pad samples as I could have 4 of those. I'm in the process at the moment of putting forward a case for three pull ups as my oh still uses the toilet but leaks.

Hope there's some info there that might help

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
@StressedDaughter , My OH gets Tena pullups on prescription via incontinence team but when originally prescribed I was told the NHS don't give them on a 'just in case basis'. By that she meant sometimes needs , sometimes not.

I explained that although he used the toilet still he needed pull ups, as opposed to pads, because he didn't get there in time and he was dribbling making his trousers wet . So not fully incontinent.

Possibly saying mums not ' totally incontinent ' has cancelled the order! Your mum may have told the nurse she uses the toilet . I'd explain that she needs the prescription still because she leaks before getting to the toilet. I.e as she stands up. Not a full bladder empty but enough to need protection. I think the NHS give a 4 pads a day or two pull ups. I've recently asked for an additional pull up as my oh is becoming double incontinent. My nurse sent pad samples as I could have 4 of those. I'm in the process at the moment of putting forward a case for three pull ups as my oh still uses the toilet but leaks.

Hope there's some info there that might help
Thanks - hope you get sorted. It’s bizarre you have to put forward a case for one more pull up! I’m sure you have lots of other productive ways to spend your time!