Suspected Stroke but isn't. Swollen face and low blood pressure.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello TPPs.
Mum has been in a care home for 3 years now. Is 86 and has bvFTD. Care home just called and said they thought mum had had a stroke last night as her face was swollen on one side and her blood pressure was very low.
They said a medic came out and ruled out a stroke but that her BP was very low and face swollen might indicate a dental issue so I'm to make an appointment with the community dentist which I will. She went to the dentist 3 months ago and all was fine. Anyone else had anything similar with their PWD?
Thank you.
Carolyn

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Cazzita sorry to hear about your mum, how is she today? Earlier this year my mum's care home called to say that they thought she had had a stroke but a scan ruled this out, and her face wasn't puffy. There are various things such as an infection, allergic reaction or dehydration which could cause low blood pressure and puffiness to the face, and if your mum has been checked over and the medic thinks it's a dental issue hopefully a visit to the community dentist will help. Sometimes a tooth or gum infection can suddenly flare up even if things were fine a few months earlier. You might find that the community dentist has quite a long waiting list though - did the medic prescribe anything for your mum in the meantime? Hopefully she is feeling a bit better today and her blood pressure has improved.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello @Louise7 and thank you for your kind reply.
I took mum to the community dentist yesterday and all was fine there (they did say however that the home were not ensuring that mum cleaned her teeth properly!) So it's not dental, how weird. Nothing prescribed as yet and the swelling has gone but mum is not herself at all and is refusing to eat. A doctor is calling tomorrow and the home have taken samples to test for another UTI (which she has chronically anyway).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindaloose13