Financial confusion

Greygal

Aug 12, 2021
Hello!
We’re unfortunately approaching the time where we need to get my father in law into full time residential care.
Despite her best efforts (and that of the family) my mother in law can’t cope anymore and her own health is suffering.
We’ve found a home that would be suitable for his needs and as he has over £23250 in savings we realise that he will be self funding until his savings drop below that level.
As we understand it, the joint account that he holds with his wife is considered to be 50% his and 50% hers for the purposes of calculating his savings.
What we're not really clear in is their property - are we correct in thinking that whilst his wife still lives in the property then this cant be included in any financial Assessement?
I’d ask the council but am not sure I’d get unbiased information as someone told me that they could put a charge on the property for when the house is eventually sold upon the passing of the remaining spouse.
The council have said that they can do a financial Assessement but as his savings are above the threshold is there any point? If they do do one, we’d like to be clear on the position with regards to the house to save them giving us the wrong information.
If anyone could clear this up for us, we’d be really grateful.
Many thanks!

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Read this link, it makes things quite clear. A lot of house issues depends on who owns the property and how jointly or otherwise. That said as a spouse, your MIL will not have to move out of her home as it will be discounted in any financial assessment for this reason.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
All the while a spouse is living in the house it is disregarded from the financial assessment and no charge will be put on it. If he dies first, that is the end of it and even if she sells the house after his death it was never part of his assets

If she dies before her husband then the percentage of the house owned by him will become part of his assets and be taken into consideration, but only from the date of her death. There will be no retrospective charges.

Greygal

Aug 12, 2021
All the while a spouse is living in the house it is disregarded from the financial assessment and no charge will be put on it. If he dies first, that is the end of it and even if she sells the house after his death it was never part of his assets

If she dies before her husband then the percentage of the house owned by him will become part of his assets and be taken into consideration, but only from the date of her death. There will be no retrospective charges.
Thank you so much!
This is in line with what we thought and so confirms it.

Greygal

Aug 12, 2021
Read this link, it makes things quite clear. A lot of house issues depends on who owns the property and how jointly or otherwise. That said as a spouse, your MIL will not have to move out of her home as it will be discounted in any financial assessment for this reason.
That’s very helpful, thank you!