Sudden turn of events

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Thanks for your update.

I'm glad you've managed to find a book club.
Hi @jugglingmum ,
Joining the book club is the best decision I have made over the last year. In particular, I made friends with a lady who is as lonely as I am. Now we go walking together every day and we are also planning to go to the seaside in September, when beaches are less crowded and prices more affordable

margherita

May 30, 2017
Poor you, what a shock and I have myself just come to realise that a crisis could happen at any time. my husband who has mixed dementia, seemed to be going along confused and repetitive but otherwise fairly ok until one day last week when he dropped his trousers and defacated all over the bathroom floor, walls and bathroom furniture. He then proceeded to walk it in his bare feet all over the hall, stairs and landing. it took me hours to clean and disinfect and I am not physically very mobile, he did this two days in a row and then put several rolls of toilet paper down the downstairs loo blocking that completely and then wetting himself. The shock and the smells from my normally very clean husband was horrendous.
without any argument he started wearing in continence pants but all seems to have settled down again now.
what it has done is galvanise me into putting in place a crisis plan with a place at a local care home. I didn’t think this would be necessary for a long while but clearly we should all be ready.
hope things have settled down for you now x
Hi @Fraisy ,
Having a crisis plan is not only useful, but necessary.
I couldn't have managed my husband's incontinence, while, though exasperated and furious, I could somehow cope with his constant shadowing and pestering me with his absurd demands .
That "sudden turn of events " was a godsend. Sometimes a crisis can turn into a blessing.
I wish you strength and also good luck.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you or sharing your update. I am so pleased that you are now in a better place - I recall you had so many problems and its good to hear that life for both you and your husband has improved..
Many people dread moving their PWD to a care home and I hope your posts will reassure them.
xx

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @margherita , great to hear from you. It doesn't seem like 12 months since the crisis that changed your life and relieved you of so much stress. I am glad for you that things seem to have settled and that you are feeling better about your situation. I remember saying that one day you would be free. It is good to know that is how you feel.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Thank you or sharing your update. I am so pleased that you are now in a better place - I recall you had so many problems and its good to hear that life for both you and your husband has improved..
Many people dread moving their PWD to a care home and I hope your posts will reassure them.
xx
Hi @canary ,
We were both unhappy when my husband was at home. I couldn't manage him and his continuous demands. I was exasperated and unkind, while he was angry and disappointed.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Hi @margherita , great to hear from you. It doesn't seem like 12 months since the crisis that changed your life and relieved you of so much stress. I am glad for you that things seem to have settled and that you are feeling better about your situation. I remember saying that one day you would be free. It is good to know that is how you feel.
Hi @northumbrian_k ,
You had predicted the situation would improve and we would both be better and more serene