Struggling to cope

Degu2

Jan 12, 2015
My mum is in the final stages of dementia and did not know me at all when I went to visit her, I am struggling to stop myself from crying and feel like I can't cope with visiting anymore has anybody any advice about how I can stay positive and keep visiting I love my mum and want to be there for her but it's hard when she doesn't know me or talk to me :confused:

flower1

Apr 12, 2013
Hi Degu2, my Mum is also in the last/severe stage of vascular dementia. She does not know me anymore either and I understand it is so hard because it feels like total rejection and empty feeling when I leave her after visiting. My mum seems to be asleep a lot now (more and more just recently) and I have had to watch this journey with my Mum's illness for almost 5 years. What I have been doing recently is taking in some nice lavender body cream and have been massaging this in to Mum's lower arms and hands so I feel that it is comforting for her and also gives me chance to bond again with mum but in a different way. My mum cannot speak either not had any words or conversation in last 2 years. It is still hard though and as the illness progresses I want to get stronger but somedays I think how strong can I be and have to give in and try and let go a bit. I wish you all the best for the days ahead xx

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Sorry, no advice but just wanted to say how very sorry I am that you (and Degu2) are having to cope with the distress of seeing your Mum brought so low by this horrible disease.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare