Some questions

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think my grandad would really enjoy that. Can any of you recommend any oil/cream that would stimulate him?

I use a habd cream from M&S, can't remember what it's called. It's pleasantly scented, not too girly. Watch out though, some of the ladies in John's home have cottoned on, and want theirs done too!:) I think I could have a full-time job!

Maybe I will consider it again and talk about it as it's one of the things I know lots about and feel more able to talk about it now.

That would be a brilliant thing to do if you felt up to it, but not if it's going to upset you.:)

Yes, I am in year six. I have just had amazing results back from some mock SATS and I am revising (I am very busy and do a lot of things). My school play auditions are coming up too!

Congratulations on your mock results.:) Do you know which school you'll be going to? And what's the school play?

(You see, I have lots of questions too!:D)

Love,

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hi Sophie

The Body Shop do some nice body lotions that arent too girly - like fruity ones. Perhaps you could have strawberry or orange ones (I think they do minty ones too) and try a few to see what Grandad seems to like best?

Another other idea is to use something like E45 cream which is unscented, and add a drop of special scented oils that you think grandad will like (you can get the oils at a chemist).(My favourite is Neroli, it smells of ornages) Perhaps you could mix up a special 'grandad blend'?

Sophie Rae

Nov 11, 2007
London
Hi all,
Thanks again for your replies.
Do you know which school you'll be going to? And what's the school play?
Unfortunately I have not yet got a school that I want to go to but mum and dad are trying their best to find me one.:( My school play is Bugsy Malone and I think I will audition for Tallulah.;)
Another other idea is to use something like E45 cream which is unscented, and add a drop of special scented oils that you think grandad will like (you can get the oils at a chemist).(My favourite is Neroli, it smells of oranges) Perhaps you could mix up a special 'grandad blend'?
Great idea!:D I think grandad has E45 cream but I have never massaged him with it.
As I always just stay in Lionel's room with him I light a scented candle too for the time I am there.
I would love to but he is in a communial room and all the health and safety stuff could interfear but I will ask.:)
S.R
X

Sophie Rae

Nov 11, 2007
London
Hi ALL
We took grandad around the church on Sunday but unfortunately there was no wheelchair access so we couldn't go inside:( ; a man told us about a church with wheelchair access.;)
It was a bit of a long visit for me and I got quite upset.
Are all the things about coffee curing Alzheimer’s true?
What happens if someone with mild Alzheimer’s/dementia knows they have it?
Thank you!
S.R
X

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Are all the things about coffee curing Alzheimer’s true?

Absolutely not, Sophie. Nothing (to date) cures Alzheimer's.

There is a theory that drinking coffee may help keep the brain active and slow the rate of progress, but it's only a theory. As far as I know, no-one has proved it, and I doubt if anyone could. The disease progresses at different rates in different people, so how can you prove that drinking coffee is slowing it?

Your dad knows all about bad science!:)

What happens if someone with mild Alzheimer’s/dementia knows they have it?

This is a hard one. Again, it varies according to the person. My husband John knew he had it, but he never worried about it. He was always a very calm person, and he just got on with life and enjoyed what he could do, and didn't worry about what he couldn't. But his language was affected, so he never tried to find out about the disease.

I think if I suspected I had Alzheimer's, I'd be very worried, to put it mildly, because I do know about it, and I know what can happen.

Did your grandad worry about it?

Love,

Sophie Rae

Nov 11, 2007
London
Dear ALL,
Did your grandad worry about it?
Grandad didn't ever know and we think that if we had told him he would have been really worried. Now we talk about it when he's there but we never directly tell him; he wouldn't understand and it would seem cruel.
S.R
X

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I googled and got this Sophie:

On November 4, 1906, German physician Alois Alzheimer presented the case of a 51-year-old woman who had shown severe memory, language and behavior problems to his medical colleagues. When Dr. Alzheimer performed the woman's autopsy, he found a dramatically shrunken brain and unusual abnormalities in and around cells. Not long afterward, the brain disease he described was named Alzheimer.

Izzy x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell