Some questions

Sophie Rae

Nov 11, 2007
London
Dear ALL

I've always loved to talk to all of you,but i've always been talking about myself so i'm going to tell you
a bit about my Grandad!

I love my Grandad and i don't know what i would do without him! :) I am usually really proud when i'm talking
to him and he suddenly reconises me it makes me feel really special! Why is it always me he reconises and not really any one else now?:confused:

Thank you best regards
Sophie xxx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sophie:

My husband is suffering from Dementia and is also a Grandad. Our grandchildren are younger than you but I know that if they were the same age he would just ADORE you.

Maybe that is the answer - your Grandad know you are really special. He has already been a special Dad and now he wants you to know that you special too. Dementia is a terrible illness but it does not always take away those special feelings.

I am sure your Grandad is relaying his thoughts through you. If not, ok we have to relay through them.

God Bless You - a very special Granddaughter.

Love Jan

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sophie Rae;116515 Why is it always me he reconises and not really any one else now?:confused: [/QUOTE said:
Sophie, it's because granddaughters are very special people!

Your grandad loves you very much, and looks forward to your visits. I think that feeling of love and pride is one of the last things to go, and as soon as he sees you, he feels warm and loved.

You're a very special girl.

Love,

Sophie Rae

Nov 11, 2007
London
Dear ALL,

I'm back! :) I am so sorry I couldn't get in touch with you sooner.

Just when grandma passed away I didn't feel like sending any thing. Thank you for all your lovely replies! It is a rather odd time for me and I really don't know what to say at the moment. I really just would like to say that grandad is doing really well at the moment. Grandad coped really well at grandmas funeral and i'm really proud of him! ;) I also made a short speech at grandmas
funeral and I felt rather good about myself but still very upset because I love my grandma.

Thank you again,best wishes
Sophie xxx

Last edited:

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Sophie. Good to see you back. :):)

I was also 9 when I lost my grandma. I am well impressed that you made a speech. That is something you will remember even when you are old (nearly 40) like me.

You will be even more important to your Grandad now.

Love Sue38 (now 39, and soon to be 40!);)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Sophie, nice to see you posting again.

It was so sad about your dear grandma, and I feel sure you were a great comfort to grandad.

grandad is doing really well at the moment.

that is very good news. Long may it continue. You look after yourself now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sophie. It`s lovely to hear from you again.

My Grandpa died when I was 7. I didn`t really understand what had happened and I wasn`t allowed to go to the funeral. So one day he was there and then he was gone and I never had a chance to say goodbye. :( He was lovely and I saw him every day until he died.

You did well to make a speech at your grandma`s funeral. I bet everyone was really impressed with you.

Good news about your Granddad. :)

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sophie, lovely to have you back.

Well done for making a speech for your grandma,I bet she was looking down and feeling so proud of you.

You must be missing your grandma so much, but you're a lovely girl to be taking so much care of your grandad. I'm sure he appreciates it.

Love,

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
Dear Sophie,
Could i ask you a favour? I would love to see your special speech that you wrote for your grandmas funeral dont worry if you feel that it is too private i will understand.

Love Cynthia. (another Grandma)

rose_of_york

Mar 22, 2008
York
Lots of young people must encounter dementia problems in their relatives, and it must be frightening for them (as it is for all of us).

It would be good to see information produced that was aimed at younger people which would answer their questions and help them understand.

Barbara

Sophie Rae

Nov 11, 2007
London
Dear all,

I never get time to post but here I am!
Grandad is well at the moment and was happy when I last saw him.
He is moving to a new room that is smaller than his old one but has a lovley view.I'd like to ask more questions if that's ok.:)

Will moving affect grandad in any way?
Will he realise/notice he has moved?

Thank you for all you'r replies best wishes
Sophie xxx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
If the layout of the room is the same, I don’t foresee why they should be any problems

Does your grandfather have a toilet come shower/ bathroom in right next to his room?

Will the other room be just like that?

because my mother still using the toilet even thought she has pads on , so if mum has a change of house or room as long as the toilet room near by her she always been fine .

If the fount room is far away or in a different journey to how your grandfather knows how to get there from his old room he may need someone to guide him there , but then I don't know if your grandfather mobile.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sophie

Your Grandad might become a bit confused in his new room but then again, if it has a lovely view, he might be really glad he has moved.

I think this, like all other questions about dementia, has no right or wrong answers, we just have to wait and see.

I hope he will be very happy and comfortable in his new room and enjoy the view.

And I can understand why he is happy to see you when you visit.

PS. My husband is always looking out of the windows. He likes to watch the birds, the leaves falling and the changes in the garden. There is an enormous Sycamore tree in the garden that backs onto ours and he keeps trying to guess how old it is.

Love xx

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello Sophie.

It is funny that you should ask these questions, as my DIL was asking exactly the same regarding her mum, who is moving rooms next week. (She is in the same care home as my Lionel, so I see her quite often)

Will he realise/notice he has moved?
Only my own obsevations of some of the residents that I see.
Often they are slightly confused, on a day to day routine, of where the dining room is, or which way to turn to get to their rooms, so hopefully Grandad won't even notice.

Will moving affect grandad in any way?
I think that as long as he has his familiar things surrounding him, and his room is made obstacle free, and cheery and welcoming, the move may well end up being a plus.

The day to day routine of his life will continue in the same way.

That is what we are wishing for anyway. Do home things go well for Grandad's move. Love n'hugs.
e

fossil

Aug 14, 2008
west country
Hello Sophie
My mum changed rooms in her nursing home to an upstairs room that had a similar layout to the one she was originally in. The move went fairly smoothly although there were the usual few days of walking around with her bags packed and hoarding of other residents belongings, but she soon settled with the help of the staff. who were wonderful. She does seem to be lucky that the home she is in has had the same staff team since she moved in nearly a year ago, which semms to be quite rare, from what I have read.
Hope this helps

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hello Sophie ... my mum never had to change rooms - we were very lucky to find one straight away that had lovely views over a garden and even when she lay in bed ... mum could just watch the leaves on the trees and the sunshine filtering through them (when it wasn't raining!!! :rolleyes: ) ....

Changing different 'homes' and hospital wards was very difficult and did affect her badly until she adjusted to each new environment ... but hopefully if your grandad is in the same environment with the same staff and the same 'routines' .....

It always surprised me - that mum could get 'lost' walking the wrong way up corridors (when she was still able to shuffle about) and yet she always recognised her room when she eventually got to it ..... think it had a lot to do with seeing her personal things - and especially the pictures of her beloved grandchild!!!!!! :cool::D

I hope your grandad enjoys his new room, love, Karen, x

Sophie Rae

Nov 11, 2007
London
Dear All,

Grandad has been moved again and this room is bigger but has a horrid veiw they are not going to move him again.We are also getting him a new bed!:)

Does your grandfather have a toilet come shower/ bathroom in right next to his room?

Yes he does in his new,new room (that is why he was moved again):rolleyes:

thank you
Sophie xxx

Sophie Rae

Nov 11, 2007
London
Dear All,
Sorry I have not posted in a while. Grandad is in his new home now and he seems to have adapted well.:) It is a bit harder for me when I see him as now he can't walk at all.:( When I see grandad I talk to him alot and touch him. Rarely he reacts to this but I think he is happy I still visit. They have given him glasses to wear now, no one knows but we think he might be able to see better.:D
A few more questions::confused:
How can you tell if a person with dementia is deaf or blind or can you?
Is there anything else I can do to help him (that I can do) in any way?

Please don’t answer these questions if you think your answer might upset me in any way, I am only 11!:eek:

S.R
X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sophie

It`s good to see you posting again on TP.

How can you tell if a person with dementia is deaf or blind or can you?
The only ways I think you can tell is;
a] They will not be blind if you can see their eyes following an object or a light, or you. But they still might not be blind if they do not follow and object or a light or you. You may never know for sure, but I would presume they can see. better safe than sorry.
Is there anything else I can do to help him (that I can do) in any way?
b] They will not be deaf if they respond to a sound. But you do not want to startle them with loud noises or bangs as many people with dementia are afraid of loud noises.
Your granddad might not understand exactly what you say to him but he might feel good to hear your voice.
Have you ever tried singing to your granddad Sophie? A quiet song or a gentle hum might bring him comfort.

One thing I`m sure of. Your granddad will still respond to your touch and if you hold his hand he will feel happy knowing you are there.
Love xx

DozyDoris

Jan 27, 2009
Suffolk
Hi Sophie, it sounds like you are doing a great job with your Grandad already just by chatting him and holding his hand, I try to get time to do a puzzle or play a game with my Dad who has dementia but he can still do these things. He loves my Dogs and when he comes to ours we have guinea pigs too, he thinks they're great :D
Carry on the good work Sophie
love from Jane (aged 41 and 3/4!:))
xx