So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m a bit perplexed as to why poo is escaping 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ Poor Pauline.

Maybe try a different brand to see if they fit better.

And I would choose the most absorbent, but they are more pricey.

Did the GP refer Pauline to the incontinence team?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I’m a bit perplexed as to why poo is escaping
What Bristol Type?

bristol%20stool%20chart.jpg

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I also put the stretchy hospital type knickers over the nappy, which stops poo escaping but not wee.

Hi @nitram - the DN wanted me to do the poo sample test on my OH. However, as she is now bedbound, every poo would be type 6 if one is sitting or lying in it before changing, and so test was pointless in our case.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
You can also get plastic type pants to go over the pull up - like the ones we used to use on the old Terry nappies for babies. …

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Morning started as usual or what has become usual in that there was another toilet accident and yet again she is so upset and keeps saying it just happens which it clearly does as it is so loose. Anyway, once sorted and clean pull-up in place she got back in bed so I could have my shower etc as by now it was turned 6am. As luck had it I was out of the shower when in she came and another accident and another pair of pull ups.
After breakfast I introduced her to my latest purchase, The Waltons, a TV favourite from the 1980s and she is sitting there mesmerised.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
yes I have had a telephone consultation with GP who seems ok with it after all questions answered including diet.
You could ask if following the suggestions in the link for a short time could do any harm and if the answer is 'no' try them.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Thank you @nitram and yes I have had a telephone consultation with GP who seems ok with it after all questions answered including diet. She reckons it is just part of progression but hard to tell unfortunately, thanks again
Oh no! so loose poo is now part of the progression of dementia?
Poor Pauline, and of course you for having to clear it all up Agzy.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh no! so loose poo is now part of the progression of dementia?
Poor Pauline, and of course you for having to clear it all up Agzy.
Mum never got loose poo and OH tends toward constipation.
I think that sometimes doctors blame progression of dementia when they havent a clue what is causing the problem

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Excellent morning with no accidents and she did a full shower and dressed herself! Talk about swings and roundabouts.
Just after 9am she got a text off Paul, one of grandsons who hasn’t contacted her since pre Covid the same as his father. The text thanked her for his birthday card and she was somewhat confused as to who he was. Anyway, half an hour later her phone rings and it is him! I open the phone and just handed it to her and for maybe 2 minutes she chats by just answering questions or so I gathered and, when he rang off, she asked who it was and when I told her, her response was, “oh him.” When I explained about his birthday card and the long gap her comment was again cutting, “just like his father,” just about sums it up I reckon.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Just before lunch Pauline suddenly started to rummage in various drawers and ‘tidying’ them up. Diverted her with lunch and then a trip out to our local theatre for Neil Sands, Christmas Memories show where she sang her heart out. Home for early tea and then settled her with tele while I went on my evening ‘waste food’ collection for local food bank and yes, upon return many drawers had been tidied and a mountain of stuff she couldn’t find a home for as nothin seems to fit in the drawers anymore 😭. Going to wait until she is in bed and try and reshuffle it all instead of having “my” hour of television. Trials and tribulations hey!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Have you tried fibre supplements that you can buy at a pharmacy? There are some that are gummies so actually look like sweets. Try googling it and see what you can find in UK. She might happily eat that because it will be sweet.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Have you tried fibre supplements that you can buy at a pharmacy? There are some that are gummies so actually look like sweets. Try googling it and see what you can find in UK. She might happily eat that because it will be sweet.
Are they likely to make her go more often given that they are good for the bowels?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Had a good day today with a flying visit to shops with her in tow but wow, it was cold and I got it in the neck for that. This afternoon was a Sing-a-long at local church and of course all Christmassy but would have preferred Christmas Carols to the like of Whan, Slad and Queen but still good fun. As we were out all afternoon she missed Classic Corrie which was recorded of course. Just started to watch it and opening scenes included a young Steve MacDonald and her first comment was, “he’s dyed his hair.” Foolishly and without thinking I pointed out that these are old ones that we saw years ago and later tonight he will be grey. So sad to see the conflicting emotions as she tried to come to terms with it and so confused but soon passed thankfully.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Are they likely to make her go more often given that they are good for the bowels?
Soluble fibre, eg psyllium, absorbs water hardening the stools, this bulking stimulates the intestines to contract helping the passage of stool through the digestive tract.
It can help with both diarrhoea and constipation.
If you try it give it a few days for a fair trial.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980