So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
As far as I remember, the garage is a spur off the house, with its own fuses, the workshop is a spur off the garage, again with its own fuses. And if it was the workshop light that went, why were the lights in the house OK, but most of the sockets down? One of my stepsons is coming after Christmas, will get him to explain to me - he’s good at those sort of things! Anyway, things are OK now, cross fingers.
I’m wrapping the few presents I bought as I need to! Most presents are money. Only need an envelope.
I’ve been given a present with orders to keep it in the fridge. Now what can that be?

Shopping this morning, early to beat the crowds. Better get a move on then!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
And if it was the workshop light that went, why were the lights in the house OK, but most of the sockets down?

Most likely because there is only a single feed to the workshop, not one for power and a separate one for lighting.

This leads to 'why not just the spur to the workshop?'

There are two distinct methods of protection;
  • Fuse, now replaced by MCB (miniature circuit breaker). This cuts of the supply at a defined current, it's purpose is solely to protect installation wiring from excess current leading to it geting hot and potentially starting a fire. Portable appliance wiring is additionally protected by the fuse in the plug, always use an appropriate value fuse, (3,5,and 13A are the current standards)
  • RCD (residual current device). This compares the current flowing in on the live side of the mains with the return current on the neutral, at a defined differential (typically 30mA) the supply is .cut. As the neutral is effectively at earth potential the RCD is detecting a leak from live to earth, it's main function is to cut the supply when this leak is through a person, it's a life saver. You can distinguish an RCD because it has a test button. How often do you test yours? To confuse things there are also RCBOs (residual current breaker with overload) which protect against both overload and leakage.
If the fault on the light fitting was a short from live to neutral or earth only the MCB/fuse protecting the low capacity wiring to the lighting circuit should have cut the supply, wiring nearer the incoming supply would be thicker and be protected at a higher current.
If the fault was a leakage from live to earth it would have been an RCD (or RCBO) that tripped.
As only parts of the total installation were affected the implication is that there are multiple RCDs/RCBOs or not some areas are not protected against leakage.

Modern consumer units are split with one RCD for power and another for lighting, there may be more zones for convenience, a common one being lighting in the area of the consumer unit.

End of noddy lesson.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I only vaguely understood that @nitram , but some of it seemed to be what I was getting at in terms of how the spur was taken.

The wiring in our house is a nightmare, some of it now corrected by OH.

Spurs for kitchen sockets had been taken off upstairs lighting circuit for example (this has been corrected) and lighting in office is not on a lighting ring main but one of the socket ringmains. The house was built in 85 with 2 lighting ring mains, and 2 socket ringmains (upstairs and downstairs). Previous owner built extension and also had various lighting and sockets added at different stages, I think the extension bar the lighting is correct, but the sockets and lighting you can guarantee have just been spurred off nearest ringmain that could be found. Think OH has now wired all spurred sockets into ringmains (yes we know the rule changes but he doesn't trust anyone to get it right). He has also substantially rewired the house as he thought that wiring over 30 years old needed replacing. We are now at the point we need a new consumer board to bring it up to modern standards (ie 85 is fairly out dated by now), which he won't be doing himself (he's sure he could).

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Well, it’s all working now, though will get a new strip light for workshop.

I had a few jobs to do today, but it’s been a heavy wetting drizzle all morning. Not encouraging! So trying to catch up on reading and emails.

Have a good Christmas, everyone.

JM, I find that difficult to understand as well. Matrices were also the only new maths I did at uni.. Though I did have to get hands on with some stats later on! Not my favourite subject, but needs must.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Thank you Amy, you too.

Spamar, I'm glad your lights are working properly again.

We are waiting for son who is due to arrive later this afternoon (and work from here tomorrow). If it stays dry we will probably go and look at the Christmas tree trail with him. If it rains, we will come home and drink hot chocolate in front of the (electric) fire :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Still raining, with a bit of drizzle between times!

As I’ve done nothing today, I must go to cash point tomorrow, plus go round to neighbours, whatever the weather!

Hmm, chocolate sounds nice.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I agree that chocolate sounds quite nice. It's not terribly cold here, but chilly and overcast and thoroughly gloomy. It is hard to muster Christmas spirit this year.

What is a Christmas tree trail, please?

Spamar, I don't understand about wiring, but hope you have no further lighting issues.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thinking of you all today

A quiet day for 1Jay and myself, but we have already been contacted by excited grandkids sharing their excitement :)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I bet that woke you up, 2Jays!

Happy Christmas everyone!

Edited to add that now I can see outside, it’s definately a cold and frosty morning here!

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Went out for lunch yesterday with stepdau and her OH. You have never seen such a big turkey sandwich in your life! Forgot to take a photo, unfortunately.

Hope Ann is OK.

Hoping for a good recovery for you all!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Ann has posted on Facebook over Christmas.

I'm currently visiting MIL in Scotland. 6 hours round trip but we are only here for the day. I'll try and update tomorrow

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I hope everyone has survived Christmas.

We have just got back from our few days in London. Ended up in A+E with our son one evening -he had an infected bursa in his elbow and 111 said he should go rather than waiting til morning. I feel a but tearful now that we are home but I know that will pass.