So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hello all,

Thanks all - I am really looking forward to a couple of days away, even if youngest has now invited herself along - a combination of her ever growing interest in photography, and the chance to get some good images, combined with the Pokemon craze - because imagine how many she could catch, she says, if she comes with us :rolleyes: I actually don't mind, because OH will no doubt need to sleep for part of the day, so he is able to cope with the night shifts when he goes back to work on Tuesday, and she and I can take off with the camera's and the dogs for a wander together while he naps :)

Glad your Mum was able to judge more appropriate clothes for the weather, Slugsta - I wish they would get a move on with the care package for her, for her sake and yours. Can't be good that she is missing so many doses of her meds, but until the care package is in place, there isn't a lot you can do about it - frustrating and worrying for you :( Glad Skye is slowly but surely settling - is Alfie aware of her prescence at all, and if so, how is he reacting?

I also got a phone call from the ward, to 'bring me up to speed' about how the visit to DC went. They said it was all 'very positive', that DC reported that Mil was no worse than she had ever been and that they were sure that they could cope. There will be a few more visits (I hppe, from what they have said) but at the moment, dispite the number of staff who have approached me to say that they feel Mil needs nursing EMI care, they are proceeding (or at least the management staff are) under the basis that once a bed becomes available, Mil will go to DC to live. Not sure how I feel - if it works, its the best option - but when so many have expressed doubts, I really worry that she will end up being shunted off elsewhere - probably back to the hospital - in a crisis situation :(

I went to see Mil last night, taking in another 3 or 4 tops, 2 clean nighties and the last 2 pairs of trousers that I have for her here at home. I did manage to speak to one of the nurses and said that I really needed her clothes sorted, pointing out that in the last 2 weeks I've taken in 9 pairs of trousers - but only had 3 pairs back to wash - and that in that 2 weeks, not one bra has been returned for washing either. Once again, I was promised that she would have a 'good sort' of Mil's clothes, so that anything that needs washing can be dealt with and I know what she has there to wear. We'll see -that was the 3rd or 4th time in the last few days that I've spoken to staff about Mil's washing, and so far its resulted in the return of just 4 tops, 3 nighties and the 3 pairs of trousers that I mentioned being returned :(

Mil greeted me with a cry of 'Ann - what made you come here today?'. Again, she was sweaty, same top as the previous day, though it wasn't badly stained - unlike her trousers which were filthy! Her hair was scraped back off her face and looked quite greasy - though to be fair, that could have been because of the sweat. I sat down next to her with a smile and she launched into telling me a rambling tale about how it had been a 'shouty' day because of that woman and how she wished she hadn't put everything into the bottom tier, every penny she owned, now they were selling this place from under her and she would never get the place that she needed back again, didn't know where she was going to sleep and putting everything into that one layer was a con - and nope, not a clue what she was trying to tell me. I think the 'core worry' was a fear that she had no money and was going to have nowhere to sleep, so lots of reassurrance that she has lots of cash in the bank and it was OK, she was in hospital and no one was selling it, so she was safe. It calmed her a little, but still wringing her hands and a new thing that I've noticed over the last 3 or 4 visits, staring intently and anxiously at me, as though she was waiting for me to say something - its quite un-nerving. She didn't ask to leave right there and then, but instead she came out with a series of statements that were almost defiant - she WAS going to the pictures tomorrow, and she WAS going to catch the ferry tonight, and she WAS going shopping in the morning and she WAS going to the cafe later. 'I AM going, you know' she kept saying about each new claim - I just went along with it, saying are you?, and wouldn't this or that be nice, but I was getting lots of impatient sighs and eye rolls in response, so obviously not the responses she was looking for. I'm honestly not sure what she was about, other than it felt like she was looking for me to disagree with her - it was all quite odd. And so rudely pass-remarkable about the other patients. One or two are still quite able to chat themselves, including the lady that Mil has clashed with several times already, and Mil reserved several quite nasty comments for her in particular. I can see how things can tend to flare up with those two, going on Mils very personal comments alone ! The call through to the dining area for their tea came, and Mil announced she was starving, I got a very casual 'goodbye' and she was off without a backwards glance - made for a much easier escape.

Right - off to start the packing and preparation so we can get away later this afternoon. Hope you all have a good weekend, take care xxxx

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning all....

AnnM, have a lovely break with the family. I hope the weather stays dry.
I hate this humidity we seem to get every summer, it makes me very breathless. I prefer cooler weather.
My bay lounge windows are huge, so curtains are half closed on hot days.
Just the 2 middle windows open .... but plenty of light, I'm not sat in the dark.

Slugsta, I hope Skye settles soon. Have you tried swapping Skye and Alfie's bedding over (if they have beds), so they can get used to each others smell?

MiL .... I've been over x 2, taken her a desk fan, some flat freezer ice blocks, and her grocery shopping.
Fan only has 3 buttons, and she was able to use them.
Also told her (not sure if she will remember) about a tip I'd heard on the radio.
Place a mixing bowl of iced water in front of the fan, to make the room cooler.

and..... bought and put up the new shower head ( tried but I could not descale the old one), put up 2 new extra long shower curtains and liners (they now cover the length of the bath when closed) ,
I found MiL her special soap she likes, (she hates liquid hand wash), and 2 new hand towels .
Thought I'd try darker towels as I cant be sure when she washes the others.

OOOOO ... OMG, I had a call from my Docs secretary, I've got a pre-op check next Friday.
and. .. a no later than date (fingers crossed) for surgery. I wont tell you (TP) when it is until a day or so before.
That's one of the reasons I went over a second time to see MiL, to do a few little jobs I'd been meaning to do for a while. She is not aware that I will not be over for several months.

Only told my sister, about my op date, not telling the in laws till its over.
I don't want them finding (inventing) a reason for me not to have surgery.

They will HAVE to get off their backsides and help their Mum.
It will do them good to see 'Mum' in all her moods (good and bad).
I just hope they don't drop her off with me, I will need a few weeks of rest.

I've even checked out the drop off point (in a taxi) , and distance to Hospital Physio.
I'll have home physio for a couple of weeks (so they say) , then several months hospital.

Feeling a mixture of emotions, lots of anxiety, not sleeping.....
I'd feel a lot less worried if I knew MiL was going to be looked after by her sons and daughters.

Have a good weekend everyone xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Grace, I'm so pleased for you. Hope the pre op check goes well! Let's hope everybody steps up to the mark when you are in hospital and post op. I really can't understand people who would want to derail your op. Maybe say that if its left longer, recuperation will be longer? Doesn't matter if it's true or not!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Grace, I'm so glad that things are finally moving with regards to your knee op. Never mind hoping that in-laws don't bring MIL over - refuse to answer the door if they do! It's high time you looked after yourself, for a change. I hope that the op goes smoothly and you make a full and speedy recovery.

Ann, I hope you have the quiet retreat that you deserve. Such a nuisance about MIL's clothes, what on earth are they doing with them??

Sky had a walk around the hall, landing and our bedroom this morning while Alf was out. She was particularly interested in the area around his bed. Alf is, unusually, downstairs at the moment. I don't know whether this is down to Sky's scent in our room or the heat. She doesn't use a bed at the moment, she seems to sleep under the bed, on the bed or on the window sill. I am switching a towel between the two of them so that they each get used to the scent of the other.

It's been dry and warm here today but not nearly as humid as it has been. We met some of hubby's family at the riverside pub. No kingfisher today but it was nice to watch the swans and their 4 cygnets.

Hope that everyone has a peaceful weekend.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, have a great break and Slugsta, hope the introductions go well. Having trouble typing on my phone today but more in a day or two. Driving home today. So tired but so appreciate of all your support.

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Amy - good to hear from you - hope drive home goes OK and that you are OK

Grace - so so pleased to hear your op date is almost here :D:):D

slugsta - I'm enjoying tales of your cats, nice to read everyday. So frustrating re meds, as not much you can do, hopefully it will be better with carers, although only really resolved with my mum when carers moved to locking meds away using a keysafe and Mar sheet.

Ann - have a good trip away, son wants Pokemon on his phone. too busy yesterday. So frustrating about the clothes, the cynic in me thinks they are going with the DC place as it would be cheaper for them, but on the otherhand if she can settle into the routine then it would be the best place.

Everything here is more mumsnet(which I've never used) than TP.

Not sure if I mentioned dau had to move around some GCSE options, due to teachers leaving and not being replaced, which caused some trauma, and also when we tried to discuss her report with her trauma, mainly around Art, which is partly connected to missing Art teacher from old school we think. She got her head round it and is now happily getting on with homework (lots of homework when she is away alot). She finished school on WEd at 11 am, so got train to Liverpool, shopped and got train home with me.

Son finished primary school on Thursday, he had a prom in a suit on Wed, had said he wanted shorts and T shirt, and only decided on suit on Monday night, so mad panic when I'm in work Tue and Wed, suit bought in Next sale. Then leaving school on Thur, plenty of mum's crying but I didn't, thought I would, but think being fed up with school I didn't. Said to OH and also wondered if bullying of daughter which started at primary was more primaries fault and he agreed he'd been wondering that. Glad to have left that school, although I work with the chair of governors!

Dau is feeling much better with iron tablets and is doing loads more, cycling, not sleeping in the middle of the day, chores, cooking tea etc.

We had a cycle ride to lay flowers yesterday, and then son had a nerf gun birthday party (guns which fire foam bullets, all his friends had loads of guns too). I made a cake with a nerf gun on on Friday and unusually finished it before midnight.

Queues at Dover are worrying us slightly, hope they get sorted and don't reoccur.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Ann....just been thinking about MIL's missing laundry. Would it be worth speaking to someone at the Hospital Laundry re the lost/missing clothing. Perhaps it's being returned to a different ward. Re replacements, I think I'd be searching the local Charity shops..... and failing that trawling the outlet shops.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Craigmaid, I think that's a really good idea. Little point in buying new clothes if MIL is not going to get any benefit from them, or they are worn once and then go AWOL.

JM, I'm glad that your daughter has a little more energy. Hope that the long holiday gives her chance to recover fully.

Hope you had a good journey home Amy - and that there is nothing there that needs your immediate attention. I should think you could sleep for 48 hours solid!

Ann, I hope that you all enjoyed your time away.

Still waiting for this care package for Mum to be organised. Actually, it is only a couple of weeks since we saw the SW, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Yet. When I went over to get Mum her meal this afternoon, she looked at her tablets as if she had never seen them before 'Oh, are those for me?' !

Sky had another wander around this morning and her scent doesn't seem to have upset Alf (he slept on my legs last night, as he often does). We also had a poo in the litter tray :) Poor little girl still runs and hides if we make a sudden move. We will never know whether she was actually mistreated in the past but I have my suspicions :mad:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
fraud on credit card so had to cancel it - hopefully new one will arrive on Wed

had mum round for tea, she needs a shower, but doubt she has had one for months, carers remind her, but in Assisted living that is all they can do

She has lost weight, not sure she is eating enough, but I've put food there so maybe needs more carer visits and meals providing in the evening (she goes to the restaurant at lunch time)

Has a lot of spots on her arms etc. which seems odd - not infected the big scab on her nose which she had picked is now healed with the AB ointment

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
FIL died this afternoon. Details to follow. Wish we could have gotten him out of hospital as I know that was his wish but he had good care and some of the best nurses and staff I've ever seen. Thinking of all of you.

So sorry Amy. I don't know how you've managed to keep helping, but, appreciated or not, you've been there for them... Time to get some rest if you can...

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Ann, your MIL reminds me so much of my husband sometimes, devastatingly aware and frustrated beyond belief by a situation she doesnt understand. I do hope somewhere can be found soon where she might find some peace, and her worrying can fade away, as surely it will.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
RAnne, thanks for your kind words, which reduced me to tears again. I tried so very hard to help and although I know my husband and brothers-and-sisters-in-law know and appreciate my efforts, it was still very hard.

MIL changed her mind and did permit all of us to attend the interment/graveside service last Friday morning. My DH would have been happier not attending, but went out of respect for his father and for his siblings. Then we took a very long drive in the very lovely countryside and ended up with a great lunch at an unlikely location (is there a British English equivalent of an American "dive bar?") and then he slept for the rest of the afternoon. We drove home Saturday, with one nephew, who got picked up by his parents late last night. DH is at work. I am at home, trying and failing to sort through mail, laundry, luggage, emails, you name it. I know what I need to do but have very little energy for any of it.

My SIL and I (the one I drove out with way back in June and the one with whom I've now cemented my relationship for life, given what we went through together) were trying to work out how long we have been gone from home (they are still on the road and have another nine hours to go to reach their home) and we looked and looked at the calendar and just couldn't fathom it. We think she left home on 22 June, which means we were there for a month? It seems that too much, and yet not enough, happened for the time frame to have been as much as, and yet as little as, a month.

I feel I've taken up too much space and time here, bending your patient ears with my complaints and angst, but there is still so much I haven't told you, or anyone. And I have (apparently) a month's worth of posts to catch up on, from all of you, and that is just on this thread alone!

I will go and make a start at something. Please know I'm thinking of you all and thanking all of you, for all your trials and travails and support and concern.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carol Diane