So bizarre !

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Amy - sorry didn't see the bit about the port-a-cath - not sure whether that's it's uk name but knew what you meant. Hope that goes well.

Ann - glad you've got meeting at the school out of the way.

Brother says holdups are the other sides solicitors - he has been keeping on top of it I think ,just nothing to report. Goodness knows what the fee will be - will outweigh the benefit of the extra bit we will get if planning is successful.

Ann - can you not just buy 10 of everything out of MILs money, of a standard that is nice but cheap. I know it's not the point but you need to have a break.

Hope is your hip? You haven't mentioned it.

The zoo was good, although a bit slow. The tigers and silver gibbons were fab.

Grace - I too had wondered dementia with your SIL - although decided personality disorder seems more likely.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Glad you enjoyed the zoo, JM - did you see the new baby capybara's? And the baby warty pigs? So cute :D I've had a few shots of the silvery gibbons, including the baby that is there - they are lovely :)

Hip is a lot better - only limping now if I am on my feet for a while. The worst now is that I think I must have been compensating in the way I have been standing/walking to try and ease the discomfort from the hip, and have been left with the worst back ache I have had for a very long time, and swelling and pain in my knee and ankle on the opposire side to the hip that I had the injection in. Hoping that as the hip improves, so will the other discomfort!

Glad that it doesn't sound like the delay with the contracts is anything to worry about - just hope its sorted soon!

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I've just remembered the time Mum told me she had some important news. She told me very seriously that she was pregnant. I had to leave the room before I started laughing. I know I shouldn't but when your 80 year old Mum tells you that it's hard to keep a straight face.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I've just remembered the time Mum told me she had some important news. She told me very seriously that she was pregnant. I had to leave the room before I started laughing. I know I shouldn't but when your 80 year old Mum tells you that it's hard to keep a straight face.

That beats Mil, Lemony - she was a very young 74 the last time she told me that she thought she was pregnant :D And Conchiquita - Mil hasn't been quite as grand as your Mum - in Mil's case, she swore she was going out with Todd Carthy and they were getting married - until he married a friend of hers instead :)

Just back from the hospital and fuming again. We got to see Mil's notes.

When they tried to discharge her a week ago last Wednesday, the only change they had made to her medication was to stop her sleeping tablet, the zopiclone - apart from also stopping her maintenence antibiotics, that was the ONLY change they had tried. None of the drugs to deal with her behaviours had been altered in any way whatsoever. And the notes also show that the only effect of them stopping the zopiclone was that (despite the consultant telling us that it hadn't inpacted on her at all) she started to have sleepless nights.

How they had the cheek to call that 'an assessment' and claim that she was now on the 'optimum' medication is beyond me :( Its a far cry from 'stripping back and stopping' all the anti-psychotic drugs, which was what they had said they intended to do. Its only because we have kicked up such a stink that we have been given this information - I wonder how many other times they have tried to pull this stunt on patients and their carers? :(

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
And breathe.....

But only after the huge squishy hug from me.... When you turn blue I shall stop hug squishing..... And hold your hand very tight..... Until it goes blue

Other words fail me xxxxxxxxx

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Oh Ann, its like when I was fighting about the quality and reliability of Mums carers at home - if we who are involved and looking out for our loved ones find this, what the hell happens to those who have no one to stand up for them? Your MiL is lucky to have you fighting her corner but it breaks my heart to think of those without someone "on their side" . I know that doesn't help you, sorry.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ann, I'm sorry that the school meeting was cancelled - but glad that the deputy head is taking your problem seriously and moving things on.

I'm relieved that MIL has been sectioned, the idea of her being sent home in the state she is in is very scary - for everyone's sake. Yes, MIL is in her own private hell but having her home, until and unless she is considerably better, is not going to help. I really hope they find a combination of medication that calms her fears.

I'm sure you are right to say that the way you have been walking since the procedure could have caused your problems with the other leg, Ann. I sincerely hope that everything will settle down soon and give you better mobility/less pain. Do you know how long the benefits of the platelets are supposed to last?

Grace, your SIL certainly behaves very strangely! Whether that is due to a personality disorder, dementia or something else is not your problem, especially as she has family of her own.

JM, how very frustrating about the house sale!:( The only glimmer of light is that you are not actually moving yourself. Imagine being packed up and ready to go, then hanging on like this! It doesn't sound as if this is your Bro's fault - although that does not excuse his general chocolate teapotness. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the zoo but am sorry to hear that you are so badly travel sick. I find that I am getting worse as time goes on, but suspect that my drugs might be to blame.

I think I have told you about the woman who used to be a friend of Mum's and is still 'carer' for the mutual friend, D? Hubby needed to speak to Mum yesterday and she wasn't answering her phone. So he went over and found her in D's flat. While he was there The Friend let herself in, took one look at hubby and Mum and said 'You know where the door is'! Hubby lost his rag and tore her a new one but, thankfully, stopped short of physical violence! Of course, D and Mum were upset, I hope TF does not find a way to take this out on Mum even more. Someone else whose behaviour falls short of rational :mad:

Mind you, Mum has been all over the place the last few days. She phoned us at 11.30 last night as she has seen an 'unanswered call' on her mobile and wondered what we had wanted. Hubby explained that the call was a while ago and that was why he went over to see her. 15 minutes later, she rang again for the same reason.

I had taken Mum a crop-top bra to see if she would find it easier while her wrist is in plaster. I suspect it will be a bit big for her, but it was worth a try. When we were out I asked whether she had tried the bra and she said that, yes, it fitted well and she was wearing it. When we got back to the flat, I found the bra on the sofa. But Mum still insisted that she was wearing it, despite having the evidence in front of her :rolleyes: It's not a problem, she's happy with what she was wearing, but another incident where her logic circuits seems to be malfunctioning!

As Mum is clearly still taking too many meds, I have asked for an Adult Services assessment to see if we could get someone to go in and giver her them. It might be helpful if I could persuade them to send someone in to heat up her evening meal too - although it's highly unlikely that they would go in at the same time as D's carers, so we would still have the problem of them not being able to eat together :confused:

I sent hubby to take Mum shopping on his own today as I have had an upset tum for the past couple of days. It seems to be settling now, although I am still achy and nauseated :( Feeling a bit sorry for myself TBH!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hello everyone x

JM, have you tried the travel sickness bands that you can buy from chemists? One of my 'photo-buddies' suffers from horrendous travel sickness, like yourself, just a few minutes in any vehicle that she isn't driving herself and she feels really ill - but those travel bands have really helped. After buying them, she managed a coach journey all the way from North Wals to Dover, and then the channel crossing, without being ill. Worth a go, if you haven't tried them already?

Slugsta, I've tried the crop top/sports style bra's with Mil and found that she simply couldn't manage them :( Its coordination with her (though limited movement in one shoulder doesn't help) even with tops/jumpers, she has a tendency to somehow manage to 'roll up and twist' garments, at the back, as she puts them over her head and she just can't work out how to straighten them once they are all 'rucked up' :( Your Poor Mum and D, dealing with TF's attitude - has TF got POA or some sort of 'formal' role in 'D's' life? Or is the role of 'carer' one that she has assigned herself? Either way, her behaviour is horrible, but if its a self-designed role she has taken on, it might give you a little more clout to deal with her if her behaviour continues to be so rude and unpleasant to your Mum. I hope your tummy has settled down for you now xxxx

Thanks everyone - I am still simply stunned by what we were told the other night :( I felt sorry for the poor nurse who was given the job of going over the notes with us, as he actually seemed really embarrassed at the whole situation - not surprised that both the ward manager and the senior nurse that were present dumped the job on someone else! He started by telling us that some 'very important' senior doctor had been to see Mil - for the life of me, I can't remember the title he gave this person, but the impression we were left with was that this person (whoever they were) is someone who has a great deal of authority and whoever they were, it was clearly a case of they speak and everyone else jumps. Anyway, this doctor has not only re-instated the maintenance antibiotics, he has done so on a 'rota' with the antibiotic being changed every so often to prevent Mil becoming imune to their impact. It also turns out that she still isn't free of the chest infection, so she has been given an additional 7 days of flucloxacillin to try and finally get her fit again. This person has also introduced a new inhaler - the nurse made a point of saying that it was a 'very expensive' inhaler (?) - which she is now to use twice daily. Whoever this 'doctor' is, in one day he seems to have made more changes and (hopefully) improvements to Mil's medication for health issues, than the EMH unit have managed to make for the dementia meds in over 5 weeks!

As this poor nurse went on to (finally) reveal to us exactly what had been done -or rather, NOT done - with Mil's meds, he just got more and more embarrassed. The first change made was the stopping of the antibiotics, done by a junior consultant. The Zopiclone had only been stopped for 2 nights by the time that Mil's consultant told us that it had been stopped. The consultant told us at that point that Mil was 'sleeping well' - I asked what her sleep pattern had been like since then, and the chap told us that it was very 'hit and miss', that mostly, she wasn't sleeping. I asked was she being given a supper of porridge? (we had been told that she would be) - no, that wasn't happening either. I said I would bring in some of the individual sachets of porridge for her if that was OK? The nurse jumped at it, saying it would be a help. The diazepam? That had been reduced down to 2mg in the morning, and then given on a prn basis - and when asked, the nurse said that no, it doesn't seem to have any effect on her at all. At what point, I wonder, are these 'consultants actually going to listen to the nurses, day care staff and us, about how useless diaz is for her? Especially when its one of the drugs that can impact on lung function, and she has COPD?

I then asked when the memantine and orlanzepine had been stopped (the consultant had told us he was stopping them on the 27th of April). Er . . . the memantine had only been stopped yesterday, he told us - but was due to be started again the next day. We asked why stopped for two days? He didn't know. In fact he said it made no sense to him - at all. 2 days wasn't long enough to get the medication out of her system, and therefore not long enough to assess any impact. The orlanzepine hadn't been altered at all, nor the duloxitine.

So, in 5 weeks, they had only stopped antibiotics and her sleeping tablet ? Why only that? The whole point of her being admitted was to wean her off all the anti-psychotic and 'behaviour' calming drugs, and work out if there was a reduced/different type of med that actually worked instead? He didn't know, maybe because she has been ill, he said. We asked how, being as the only impact from removing those two meds had been UTI's, chest infections, and her sleep pattern getting worse, we could have been told that she was on the 'optimum' medication and ready for discharge? He apologised, he didn't know, he didn't understand it himself. We asked what her behaviour had honestly been like. And he told us that the paranoia was 'bad', told us that she had been begging to 'go home' as she needed to get back to her baby (we had previously been told that Mil had 'never once mentioned' children or babies) and that she had been very verbally aggressive on occasion. So absolutely no difference at all in her behaviour :( There was no point giving this poor nurse a hard time - it would be a bit like shooting the messenger - but that's why I was so furious when we left there, the other night. I can't begin to understand the actions of the consultant/doctors involved on the EMH - just don't get why they didn't do what they said they were going to do, why they haven't made any serious attempt to assess and improve her medication, to help her with the extremes of agitation and upset. I mean - that's the whole reason for the admission in the first place. I feel so confused and let down by them. Poor, poor Mil :(

I visited yesterday morning, wanting to drop off some porridge for her - we've seen first hand that her evening meal consists of a sandwich and a tiny cake/pudding portion, and as the orlanzepine hasn't been altered and that increases appetite, I suspect that poor Mil is starving and this might be making her sleep worse. I was greeted by the news that Mil was refusing to dress or leave her room, and that they had had to take her breakfast to her. No idea who Mil thought I was, though she greeted me pleasantly enough - no queries about OH, so I don't think in her head she associated me with him, and I am pretty sure that she thought I was some sort of 'employee' of 'this place' (the hospital, which she thought was either a church or a school). She was quite formal with me, quite distant, though polite. She told me that 'they' were trying to send her away and she expected me to have a word with them. After half an hour, she abruptly and briskly informed me that I could take the breakfast dishes to the kitchen on my way out, as she was going back to bed. Handing them over to one of the wards support workers, I commented laughingly that I had been 'dismissed' - 'Oh, she's been 'dismissing me all morning', I was told - only the support worker didn't seem particularly amused by this, and in fact looked rather annoyed, so heaven only knows what Mil had said to her!

I'm going to go and see her today, when I can be sure of actually getting a parking spot, but intend to miss tomorrow and possibly Tuesday, I'll see how it goes.

take care, everyone xxxx

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
It is quite frightening, these are the people we place our lives and the lives of our loved ones with, you do not expect such chaos.

Hoping things improve xx.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Morning Ann.

It sounds as if, by refusing to take her home, your MIL has finally come to th attention of he senior consultant. Let's hope he kicked some butts when he saw what a complete mess his staff had made of things.

I'm still of the belief that she had pneumonia and it's sitting in the base of her lung- flucloxacillin can be used for this.

I'd like to say I'm shocked by the care and treatment your MIL got but sadly I'm not. I really hope that she now starts to get the treatment you placed her there for in the first place. All I can think of are the poor souls who don't have Anns to fight their corner.

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
What a dreadful situation you have been left with. The hospital staff are in a position of trust,which makes their actions even more horrendous.

My mother was in hospital for 3 months (not with dementia). It was a few years back,but what happened was that no doctor or nurse read mums notes.

Each doctor apoeared to act off their own bat,with out any relation to what the last doctor had done. I suppose where doctors are randomly called to do things by nursing staff,they just do what they think best at the time.

I could never get accurate info from nurses,and the house man was too nervous to admit to anything.

The registrar was ok,but in the end I got friendly with the the consultant. That was very useful . I did the upset,anxious daughter bit - by that stage I had got beyond the aggravated and shouty stage!

Could mr mac do something similar? You notice I dont suggest that you have a go Ann.Just keep on resting that leg.xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Re the Consultant

After John spent time in hospital in Decmber his discharge sheet showed the consultant recommending to his GP that his Trazadone was reduced from 250 mg a day to 25 mg a day. No reason given. I of course protested strongly as it is the only thing keeping John out of a care home as it reduced his wandering. My GP agreed with me and said that often consultants don't have time to read the background in the notes and why meds have reached the levels they have.

My bet is that the doctors in MILs case are judging on what is in front of them at the time and not discussing others input or reading back in her notes. Very frustrating

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
After John spent time in hospital in Decmber his discharge sheet showed the consultant recommending to his GP that his Trazadone was reduced from 250 mg a day to 25 mg a day. No reason given. I of course protested strongly as it is the only thing keeping John out of a care home as it reduced his wandering. My GP agreed with me and said that often consultants don't have time to read the background in the notes and why meds have reached the levels they have.

My bet is that the doctors in MILs case are judging on what is in front of them at the time and not discussing others input or reading back in her notes. Very frustrating

I do agree with you , sorry for butting in on the thread, but when my John was in hospital they asked me if I was sure he had mixed dementia . I was lost for words and told them to read his history which by the way they requested. Mind boggles .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

annebythesea

What gets me Ann is just how barefaced they have been prepared to be in what they have said to you. Heaven only knows what the result would have been if you had accepted her home when the only thing they had actually done was remove the sleeping pill which was the only thing keeping your family just the right side of the line from complete impossibility of functioning. How any of the professionals justify not listening to your cries for help for all this time - and clearly still not doing so - is anybody's guess. I wonder if it is possible to find out when the (ever so senior) consultant is next coming to see mil so you or OH can ask what the plan is going forward. The changes the nurse told you do not seem to be part of any coherent plan, but it is about time that there was one and that you were all informed properly what it is.
And I wanted to say that I appreciated you taking the time to come and update us when you are in the thick of it all. There are a lot of people here holding you in their thoughts daily (however little practical help that provides).

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks all,

Lemony, I did mention pneumonia and got back 'Oh - I've just been told chest infection'. Which means absolutely nothing in terms of accuracy, in my experience!

And I agree absolutely with the not reading records and notes. Plenty of evidence with Mil to suggest that each consultant, junior or otherwise, simply does as they think best without taking a blind bit of notice or interest in anything that has been previously recorded :( About two locum consultants back, one we met changed Mil's diagnosis within 20 minutes of meeting her for the first time, and he said that 'other consultants might not agree with me, but at this moment in time, I am in charge and its what I think that matters!' - and I think that about sums it up.

When I woke this morning, I felt a little 'bunged up' and had a bit of a sore throat, and its got worse as the morning has gone on. I phoned the hospital and explained, saying that I was happy to come in, as I don't feel ill, but I'd rather just drop off whatever Mil needs without seeing her, as the last thing I want is to pass on any more germs to her. They agreed that would be best, and after I spoke to a nurse who told me that Mil is yet again 'short of clean clothes', it was arranged that I would go down, hand over some clean stuff but not see Mil. Down I went, rang, and waited for a nurse to come to the door and collect the laundry - and after it had been agreed that I would stay away from Mil, just in case, out came a nurse with Mil in tow. I honestly don't think that their left hand knows what the right hand is doing!

A staff nurse, that we have nicknamed 'Arnold Rimmer' (after the character in Red Dwarf - honestly, the resemblence is uncanny, talk about officious and a jobsworth) also asked to speak to me while I was on the phone, and made a point of telling me that Mil had her porridge last night and added that 'she sleeps well anyway, you know' - when I told him that there have been several instances of staff telling both OH and I differently, I got a snifffy 'Well, nobody has told me that!'. Will they never learn that lies will catch them out, I wonder?

I did take the time to have a word about Mil's clothes though - at home, I have just one and a half pairs of PJ's (She had 5 pairs to start with), no nighties(She had half a dozen), just 4 pairs of trousers (Actually, just 1 pair now I've taken 3 clean pairs in, and when she owned about 15 pairs to start with) and I've realised that at least 5 tops have also not been seen for quite a while. I've also only got 2 of her bra's left at home, meaning that over a dozen are missing. I very politely explained all this to the nurse, and asked for the missing clothes to be found. Everything I've taken in had been labelled, I can accept the loss of two or 3 items, but at this rate, I'm going to have to provide her with a whole new wardrobe!

I'm skipping visiting until this bout of the sniffles has gone, but I will be phoning and keeping a very close eye on what is going on - they haven't left us much choice about doing that, have they? :(

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

I have tried to post twice this evening - but my computer seems very sick and keeps crashing. Hence I've stolen hubby's comp for a while.

(((Ann))) I do hope that the sniffles don't develop into anything else. You could really do with some 'me time' that doesn't include recovering from illness/injury.

The way you and MIL are being treated is truly beyond the pale. Being unsure is one thing, deliberately telling lies is something else all together :mad: Stopping MIL's prophylactic antibiotics has really worked well, hasn't it? I wonder if she would have needed to spend so much time over in the general wing if she had still been on them?

In my experience, many consultants tend to have little respect, even for their fellow medics. I have seen many people sent back from hospital (inpatient and outpatient) with drugs that they have already tried and stopped - either because of side-effects or because they didn't work. If the medic concerned had bothered to either read the records or talk to the patient/family this would not have happened :mad:

It does look as if someone is finally taking notice, so let's hope it is the end of the nonsense. Does anyone want to lay odds? BTW, I wonder if the inhaler MIL has been given is Spireva (tiotropium)? It was starting to become quite popular by the time I stopped working, which is more than 5 years ago. Of course, it is entirely possible that several newer things are around these days!

My upset tum seems to be settling, thanks. I actually feel very much better today. We popped in to see Mum yesterday and while we were there spoke to one of the other residents. It appears that Adult Services are involved with D and it didn't take them long to realise that TF is not as she first seems. TF has POA for D's finances, health and welfare so D is very vulnerable, I'm glad someone else is aware of the situation.

I checked Mum's meds while we were there. She would have started the new blister pack on Thursday morning. By yesterday lunchtime she had 6 morning doses left and 3 evening :confused:

I hope everyone has had a peaceful weekend - especially you, Ann!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Been to Anglesey for 24 hours and not read back fully.

Ann - you do wonder what they were up to for the time MIL has been in EMH - not fair on her, nothing done and no further forward - hope your sniffles don't last long.

slugsta - glad your tummy is better, not good re your mum's meds - sounds like she needs carers am and pm really - easier said than done in lots of ways as she will refuse to cooperate I suspect.

Last edited: