So bizarre !

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
They won't be telling me to build a bigger bum - I've taken the initiative and done that all by myself :D

OH teased me, when I got my degree, that the 'B.A' doesn't stand for 'Bachelor of Arts' in my case - its stands for 'Big Ar$e' :D :D :D

Cheeky Man. I don't know what my ex would have said my M ed stood for as I left her not long afterwards.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
In another world, you might even laugh.... Good luck with the Clinic today, Ann, and thank you for letting me join your 'gang'. I do hope they will manage to come up with something worthwhile for you, to keep the pain at bay at least.
My mum has just gone back to bed (4th time since 5 am). When I was reaching for her towel earlier I turned back to see her squeezing toothpaste on her glasses. Couldn't recognise a toothbrush today. I never understood about that kind of memory going. Well, it meant her glasses had a really good wash anyway.

I think most of us have to learn to laugh, Izzy - either that, or cry, some of the time at least x

No 'gang' (I hope) - I appreciate everyone who wants to chip in, we're all in the same boat, aren't we, hun.

Lol at the paste going on the glasses - if Mil gets hold of the tube, she squeezes it directly onto the teeth - and just keeps on squeezing if not stopped! I've had Mil look at things and suddenly not recognise what they are - or what they are for. She's been handed a hairbrush and looked at it blankly several times now - I have to explain, very simply what its for. And I've had maybe half a dozen occasions now when I've put gel on her hands when she has come out of the bathroom - and she has rubbed her hands briskly together, then rubbed the gel into her hair.

She's on the coat loop at the minute - 'Shall I put it on? Is it time to put it on? I'll just put my coat on' - she grabbed it when I nipped to the loo, and true to form, she was stood by the front door, coat on, calling 'let me out' when I came out. The coat loop seems to have replaced the 'lipstick loop' - I meant to say, over the last 3 weeks, I've noticed that most mornings she isn't even asking for lippy, let alone putting it on. When I think about how she used to obsess about it and how I used to battle to stop her leaving the house looking like a clown, I'm so glad that one has gone. And the perfume one, too, that we had - only briefly, 'cos I actually hid the perfume after a short time with that. Most mornings we were all having trouble breathing through the clouds of 'white musk' that permeated the house!

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Good Luck Ann... I hope you get help at the Pain Clinic.

I haven't bothered posting before about my 'Clinic Outcome' letter, but there were a few little mistakes the nurse had made/ recorded. Nothing too bad, but start dates/ times etc.. How long pain, tablets taken....

One big thing , seeing it in 'black and white' shocked me a little.
She had written about me being in pain for several years, gradually getting worse, but I was not able to think about coming to clinic as I was caring for my husband.
It says I put him first, ignoring my own health, as there was no time for me.

No mention of MiL though, and me caring 'at a distance' :(
Copy of the Doctors letter says I am a carer, and suffering from stress. anxiety , but not sure why nurse didn't mention MiL, as I had a long chat about my situation.

Anyway.... have a lovely lunch , hope the appointment goes OK.
Expect to be a little tired tonight, sleep well....

Have a good day everyone xxx

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Ann, hope the pain clinic, with consultants, managed to produce something really effective for you!
Don't tell me mil is mellowing!
Had a lovely day with a walk by the River Fowey at Respryn ( near Lanhydrock NT). Absolutely beautiful. Plus NT cake and coffee, what more can you want. Must dash!
S

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Spamar - lovely to hear from you :) Sounds like you are having a great time :D

Vitapoint - Good grief, haven't heard of that in years, Maureen - have a vague memory of my Dad rubbing that into his hair every morning :D I wonder if that is what Mil thought the hand gel was!

There was no mention of a 'clinic outcome' letter, Grace - though they did fasten onto me caring for Mil and asked a lot of questions.

Not quite sure what I thought of the whole appointment - which lasted for the full 3 hours promised! Trying to sum it up, I'd say that I was advised to see if I could fit in a Tai Chi or Pilates class, that they suggested that I look up 'meditation and mindfulness' (Might be pestering you with questions, soon, GL :D) and advised that I stopped ironing and let the family wear wrinkled clothes! Other than that, I was given 3 or 4 simple stretches that I could try and they also advised another natural supplement and perhaps investing in a wireless tens unit that I could try wearing for several hours a day. They approved of the hospital bed and of Mil being showered by day care to save my back, but other than that, coulddn't think of anything else that might help. So. I'll see if I can find classes that fit in with Mil and OH's 'rolling rota' at work, price up a tens unit and check out the vitamins and meditation - and see, I guess. It was basically that they couldn't 'cure' the pain so I needed to find ways to live with it.

Fantastic start to morning with Mil waking me just after 5.30 a.m., and me having to strip a soaking wet bed (including pillows, that had had the case removed - this despite me finding her on the landing at just after 12a.m. and making sure she went to the loo. I've put her back to bed once more since then, as she thought that the man had called her to get ready for work . . . and can hear her padding round again now *sigh*

Have a good day all xxxxx

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
I look forward to being pestered. Don't worry I can cope with a B A. My only real problem is doing what I know is good for me. A little too much red last night: not a lot; just a little. G L

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
A gentle yoga class might help with both the meditative aspect and the core strengthening exercise they're alluding to with the Pilates, Ann. I used to have back pain every single day of my life until I took up yoga. We have a class in the village that caters for ladies of a certain age, such as me, ;) and all abilities. If you can't make your usual class one week, you can 'top up' by going to another. If you could find something similar near you, it might work?
What happened to OH stripping the bed? Any luck with the laundry service? (MiL's funds should pay, no?)
Back to nag mode: it's going to be no good to anyone if your back breaks down and both your job and your 'leisure' (ha-bl**dy-ha) activities put a strain on it. Backs tend to go suddenly, if my OH's is anything to go by. One day a twinge, the next full blown can't drive/can't do much at all.
Take care. x
Spamar - hope you are relaxing. Grace, JM - hope all goes well with you. -& you all, Bizarrites.

IzzyJ

Aug 23, 2015
Cotswolds
What a start to your day, Ann. Is it today that the new bed and pillows are due to arrive? Don't get fired up and try to move furniture around yourself ;)
RedLou's quite right about Pilates and yoga - but how to fit it in when you're already running so fast you meet yourself coming back, as you do? I bet you'd do it for someone else's benefit:D:D
The best advice I ever had from a back surgeon (when I first did mine in back in my 20’s:( ) was Don't stand if you can sit, don't sit if you can lie flat. At least that is (relatively) achievable :)
My mum is going through a quiet time atm. A bit sleepy during the day, and easier to halt the confabulations / delusions which usually run to 2-hour monologues. Like your MiL, very very inventive and articulate but awful to listen to. When she first started those about 6 months ago, I used to try to respond or join in what I thought was a conversation. Silly me - I know now it's a waste of effort, but it was so 'good' to read that your MiL does exactly the same thing, and that the Home, Home, Home refrain is common too. Yesterday she kept coming back to "Are 'they' taking me away today?" I feel so sorry for her (No, she's not going anywhere, at least, not yet). Carers with her today, I'm off to pick up a friend from the airport.
Hope everybody's days are as peaceful as the weather is. Beautiful pink sky here.

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
Ann please just pay someone to do the ironing or teach the family I started helping to do the ironing at age 8. Told oh years ago to do his own . He lived in hope for ages that the ironing fairy would return but I said she had retired so get used to it.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
What is this ironing, of which you speak?

I'm sorry, that was flippant. But with the exception of the very occasional dress shirt, ironing does not happen in my house, especially not since dementia. My DH either irons shirts himself, they go to the dry cleaners, or he hangs them up straightaway out of the wash and declares them "good enough." But to be fair, many of them are the no-iron type and come out of the wash looking just fine. Other than dress shirts, I don't think there is anything in our house that requires ironing, unless we're going to meet the Queen or something.

Maybe some or all of these things could happen:

-cut down on the things that get ironed (either by deciding they don't need to be ironed, or by having fewer items that must be ironed, or both)
-have someone else in the household do some (or all) of it
-use a laundry service
-send some items for dry cleaning
-pay someone to do the ironing
-get a house elf (I think this would solve many of all of our problems!)
-petition that Ironing Fairy to stop at your house

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Good Luck Ann... I hope you get help at the Pain Clinic.

I haven't bothered posting before about my 'Clinic Outcome' letter, but there were a few little mistakes the nurse had made/ recorded. Nothing too bad, but start dates/ times etc.. How long pain, tablets taken....

One big thing , seeing it in 'black and white' shocked me a little.
She had written about me being in pain for several years, gradually getting worse, but I was not able to think about coming to clinic as I was caring for my husband.
It says I put him first, ignoring my own health, as there was no time for me.

No mention of MiL though, and me caring 'at a distance' :(
Copy of the Doctors letter says I am a carer, and suffering from stress. anxiety , but not sure why nurse didn't mention MiL, as I had a long chat about my situation.

Anyway.... have a lovely lunch , hope the appointment goes OK.
Expect to be a little tired tonight, sleep well....

Have a good day everyone xxx
Sometimes I wonder if " distance Caring" doesn't really count as stressful with some experts who haven't any actual experience! My worst migraines started with my father, which overlapped with my husband's own dementia. One long headache.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Grace, thank goodness for your niece. Arranging a lift for church, such a helpful idea.

Ann, I can't believe you're being offered so little support.

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Morning all,

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. I have started to make enquiries about what is available in bordering/close counties as AnoviceinN1 suggests - it is only enquiries at the moment, but I sort of feel that we need to find other options on a 'just in case' basis. As for what would happen to Mil if I became unable to care for her - I think that's the same for every carer, Mrsbusy, sadly :( If it happened right now, then a stay, either short term or maybe (if necessary) permenant in the home she goes to for respite. And if it happens later and the behaviour is an issue, then I hope we will have been able to find somewhere reasonably close, albeit in a different county, that we have as back up. I honestly don't see the point in even considering asking the LA for help, given what they have made clear is the only available options from them, if her illness makes her behaviour worsen. Best option - I think - is to try and find somewhere where (if we did decide to go down the residential route) could care for her no matter how she deteriorates. Then - if at any stage - we do feel 'that's it', then we won't have to deal with the hellish ward and her being placed somewhere where we have little choice and which may be far away. She will be (at least for the first 12-18 months) self funding and I hope that would make it a bit easier too! I aso think its a given that the 'powers that be' are very aware that they can leave carers to cope and carry the burden of care to a massive extent, that we all do it because of love and loyalty, because we care - they take advantage of us all. Its incredibly short sighted on their part, because more support to keep someone at home would probably (certainly?) save a lot of funds in the long term - but the current economic situation means that they are only focused on saving pennies now, rather than pounds later.

Thanks for the comments on the photographs too - hard to go wrong in a place like Anglesey, felt like everywhere I looked it was worth pointing the camera, lol. Still got all the puffin Island shots to share, just trying to find the time!

Picked Mil up last night and the 'senior' grabbed me for a word. No massive problems with Mil (in terms of her upsetting or causing problems for other residents) but it seems like they are still getting the constant pestering. She's rarely still, pacing all the time and getting fixated on odd delusions which she then batters their ears about, demanding attention and a lot of reassurance. The last 3 days its started from more or less when she has arrived in the morning. Although I've sorted it for them to give her a dose of the lorazepan at lunch time (initially prescribed as a prn, which they are not allowed to give) their observation is that it doesn't touch her, makes absolutely no difference at all. A couple of the actual carers were also present, which is good, because when they speak, it gives me a really clear idea of exactly how she is. All of them expressed amazement about how stubborn she is, how she is so resistant to reassurance and distraction - as one said, its almost like she is wired to not want to be comforted or calmed. I was a bit 'Oh-ohhhhh' at first, half expecting them to say that they couldn't cope or similar, but it seemed to emerge that no, they can cope - what they wanted was to know what else they could do to help - which, given the responses I've had from elsewhere was a bit of a shock!

Anyway, as I had asked them to keep Mil late next Tuesday (when I have that appointment at the pain clinic and won't be home till probably 6 or 7pm) they picked up on that and the upshot is that we are going to try Mil having one or two showers/baths there, every week - which will of course be a massive help to me. They have just taken on extra staff, to help with the day care 'clients' so they assured me that this wouldn't be an issue, that they would be more than able to 'fit in' sorting Mil. Bathing her at home is time consuming and can be fraught as she fusses so much - its not a 'task' that I look forward to, thats for sure - so I jumped at the chance. Hopefully starting from next week, it will take some pressure off me and - with Mils habit of suddenly grabbing me during bathtime - it will also help my back. It made me feel 100% better to have them offer help like that - especially given the lack of support from 'Adult Social Care'!

Mil, incidentally, was not amused at being asked to wait whilst we had this chat - she made quite a few rude remarks and on leaving informed me that she had 'had enough' and I was to phone and hand in her 'notice' when we got home :rolleyes: Last night we had intermittant delusions and a lot of confusion, but each time she started battering on about where was the 'little girl' she had brought with her, or where was her 'knitting - had I taken it?' or insisting that her son wasn't the same man as I was married to and she wanted to phone her son 'right now', I just got very firm and she subsided almost straight away each time. Oh, lots of dirty looks thrown my way and a good bit of huffing and puffing, but she did quieten down - till the next confused idea grabbed her! I should also say that the bed has been dry the last two mornings, by the way - and the only difference I can see is that both nights she was in pj's rather than nighties - so, have got 2 new pairs for her and though I can't see why they would make a difference, I'm going to put her nighties away and stick to pjs for the moment - so fingers crossed for less washing - at least for now :)

Hope you all have a good day - dau off to her theatre group this morning, then we are taking Mil to see her friend this afternoon, so usual Saturday routine xxxxx

Oh Ann, those offers so kindly made must have made you feel like weeping! Angels do exist!
Thankyou for sharing your lovely pictures..... They are beautiful and I agree you should be arranging an exhibition instead of coping with so much else......hugs......

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Red, they mentioned yoga too - but the reason they went with Tai Chi (and possibly pilates) is because they said once I've 'done' a few classes, I could invest in a DVD on either and perhaps keep up at home using that. They said it might take longer to get topthe stage where they would recommend yoga DVDs at home - I have no idea why? Had no chance to look into either classes, or laundry service just yet - between the pain clinic on Tes and a very busy day yesterday, barely went near the pc (or anything else) at all!

Hi Izzy - I find some of Mils tales leave me feeling like I'm walking on eggshells, which is the main difficulty for me. All too often we go from something quite benign to something that suddenly takes a 'nasty turn' and worst of all, she will suddenly involve me in the story. She can be garbling on about the dance she is off too, or the pictures or the shopping trip she has been on. And then usually its something like 'I gave you the tickets - I want them back now', or she wants the dress she says she asked me to sew, or the money she gave me to look after. Occasionally, I've even had a dead body appearing in the tale, and I can even find myself accused of being involved in that! Thats the infuriating bit, because there is NO shaking her - whilst I have a fighting chance of being able to hand her a fiver, I can't at the drop of a hat produce a dress that she has given a detailed discription of - but which doesn't exists. And Oh, I do get fed up of having to try and convince her I'm innocent of murder!

Thanks Celia, for the link - odd you should post something like that because I was actually thinking the other day that we have a perching stool here, got for Mil, which she now won't use on the grounds that she is convinced the seat 'tips me up' - I could maybe give that a try for several things!

Oh Peggy, they know how to iron - its just that being as I am at home, I tend to do the bulk of it. But yes - I need to be more assertive about getting OH and youngest to do a bit more, you are right x

Hi Amy - hun, if you know where I can find a housework fairy, do please tell :D Otherise, I think that all future clothes purchases - especially for Mil - I need to look for fabrics that don't need ironing.

The offer of help with Mil bathing really did lift me up, Anne - I just thought it was so decent of them :) Especially after the 'Empty' offers of 'help' from adult services . . .

Talking of which - I had a bit of an encounter with them yesterday and I sort of got cross :eek:

The profile bed (now being referred to as the 'profane bed' in this house!) was as I said, due to arrive yesterday. Which mean dismantelling Mils old bed and trying to work out where the hell we could store the base at least - it was bought a couple of months after she moved in, so hardly has any wear at all. Once Mil was off to day care, I went upstairs and decided to empty the drawers under it and generally start sorting the room out. Walked into her room, and could smell wee straight away, which is not nice anyway, but I was also thinking of the poor delivery men, who I assumed (wrongly as it turned out) would get the new bed up to the bedroom for us. Turned out that Mil must, after wetting her first set of PJ's earlier, have at some stage put other pairs on too - and I found 2 absolutely soaking wet pairs of PJ bottoms, hidden down the side of her bed, where they had been wet enough to create a lovely puddle on the floor. Out with the dettol and mop, another load carted downstairs for the washer, made the pleasing discovery that the 'washable' pillow that I'd bought wasn't actually washable at all and had burst its seams in the washing machine. Back up after sorting that, lifted the mattress - lovely - I had believed Mil when she said the had put the wet pull ups in the bed, silly me, cos there they were, under the mattress! Thankfully not there long enough to soak into the fabric of the base, more dettol and a lot of febreeze and it was sorted. After that, it continued to be one of those times where every job seemed to hit snags. For some reason, the washing machine decided to start skipping the spin cycle, meaning each load had to set on a separate spin at the end. I managed to scorch the chicken I was browning to make Mils casserole tea, and had to start from scratch. It was that sort of day. Working out where to store not only the bed base, but also the bookshelf in Mils room led to some heated arguments - the new bed would take up quite a bit more room than the old divan and there simply was no space for the bookshelf. We were waiting for a call saying that the beds arrival was imminent, and - expecting it in the morning - were getting increasingly worried that we hadn't yet heard. Then, as I came downstairs to find that now the machine was leaking, the phone went.

Adult services - "Hi Mrs Mac, my name is ----- from Adult Services. We've been informed that your Mum has managed to get of of the house and go missing and I'm phoning to see if there is anything we can do to help . . . .!

Do these morons even talk to each other? 3rd phone call, first offering all the help in the world, second rather apologetic confirming that none of the help offered is actually available - but adding that being as I seem to know what I'm doing and am coping, Goodbye! - and now another! I'm stood there, watching the spreading puddle in the kitchen, got a heap of wet pjs that I want to get washed sitting in a basket, wanting the phone free in case the delivery guys phone - and she wants to talk about what they can do to help to 'ensure your Mums safety'?. Can't remember the exact words, you'll be pleased to hear I didn't swear - but I did tell her that basically she was the 3rd person to ring me, and being as I already knew that they could do absolutely nothing useful at all - goodbye! And I put the phone down.

Two minutes later, the phone went and its the CPN - obviously Ms Adult Services had contacted her. Lovely as she is, I really was not in the mood. She got both barrels, basically being told that I was up to my neck in it. That I was a bit fed up of a service that couldn't even give continuity of medical care with an ever changing stream of locum consultants, all of whom delight in changing medication and diagnosis at the drop of the hat, leaving me to cope with the fall out - which included Mils behaviour changing and 'Adult Service' phoning me to offer 'help'. But that when I'd tried asking them for just two things that might help - a bed and an assessment stay for Mil - that I'd already established that they were about as much use as chocolate teapots and could help with neither, nor could they offer - by their own admission - anything else remotely useful at all. So being as I was dealing with a pile of wet (don't think I said wet, though :eek: ) bedding and clothes, plus waiting for the bed (which I had arranged for with no help at all from them) I really didn't have time to go through another long winded phone call that would produce no help whatsoever. Unless she 'was ringing me to tell me different? No? Didn't think so. I'm busy - Goodbye'.

5 minutes later, bed arrives with no phone warning. Just one driver, and 'Oh no - we just leave it outside the house and you get it upstairs and put it together yourself'. This is where the 'profane bed' title came into it. It weighed a flipping ton and the way it was packaged left both OH and I with painfully trapped hands at various times (hence the profanities) and instructions that were so poor that it took FIVE hours to put the damn thing together. Blazing arguments, strops, tantrums - and for a change, this was all before Mil got home!

We got it together literally 5 mins before I had to go pick her up, leaving OH to dive into the shower ready for a late dental appointment. Then Mil spent the journey home, absolutely convinced I was giving her a lift to the pictures, and kept taking her seat belt off, demanding that I 'drop her off here, Ann' - the last time being on a rather large roundabout, currently being 'maintained, and which at the moment has no road markings. More money for the swear box :rolleyes:

We went out for tea - I really couldn't be bothered after a day like that. Very noticable was Mils lack of pleases or thank yous - especially with the waitress, she was very rude. We had the 'I want salt' routine and a mini strop, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been, despite sundry enquiries abotu the dog she said we had left in the car, the 'big tin of that stuff' that she wanted to tell OH about and her going on about the hole in the garden that she had spent the last week digging :confused: Back home just 20 minutes and off to bed she went. Thank God!

I've put her back to bed 3 times since just before 5 this morning, but it at least looks like she has left off 'christening' the new bed today - it seemed dry (though I wanted her settled quickly so I didn't check too closely) :D Just as well, cos I'm off to Chester zoo with one of my photo buddies today.

Hope you all have a good day xxxxx

Last edited:

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Oh Ann, what a day, why do the people who write instructions for putting things together make it so difficult, at least you and OH did not murder each other over the bed as then MiL would really have had the dead bodies she is so fond of talking about.

Have a lovely day at the zoo, I used to love going to London zoo when I was at college in Essex.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
I think you should perhaps change your name to ProfaneAnn after yesterday. If you see that lad of mine in Chester give him all the best from G L. 35 now: tempus fugit. Have a good day.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Oh Ann, I am sorry, what a day you and Mr Mac had....
Flippin eck... what kind of.... lost for words.... to deliver a bed and expect you to assemble?

Sorry to hear about the washer leaking.... hope its sorted out now.
Do you have those isolating valves (sorry don't know the technical name) on the washing machine ?
That way if there is a leak you can turn the water supply off .
You probably already know this.... apologies if you do.

With MiL (if we go out to eat) I attempt to sit her facing a wall (and me), with my niece sitting next to her. That way she cannot comment on all that is happening in front of her.
She is soooo rude , it is embarrassing, and we are not going out as much as we used to.

Raggedy Ann....
When I say I'm a distance MiL carer, I mean she lives independently (at the mo)...
But I still see her 2 + days a week. And she sometimes stays over with me ....
Then I call in to her with shopping (so does my niece) ...
It's not like I never see her, or we only talk on the phone... (like her own children) .
She is always on my mind... a little too much.

Welllll.... my niece did try and get transport arranged for MiL Sunday Mass/ service
but it is not possible.
MiL would have to be ready for picking up at just after 9-ish (mass at 10am) in order for the minibus
to do a round - trip for several elderly folks...
There is no way they can wait for MiL if she is not ready, and it would be unfair on delaying others.

They can arrange for the Priest to pop in and see her later, but not on a Sunday.

Thing is.... she sometimes goes to mass during the week, as well as evening prayer groups?....
There is no way the mini bus can be available just for her as and when she needs it.

This will be a HUGE problem when she is stopped from driving.
She does not understand this, and thinks it should be available to her.
Anyway... we have tried... but still need a solution.

Have a good day xxxx

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Oh Grace - just step back. You have done enough.
-- I won't go into details but it was made obvious to me today that my father did not care about me the way he cared about his friends and my brother. I'm trying to go forward without being bitter, but neither do I want to fool myself.
All of you, Bizarrites - don't fool yourselves. If you're being taken advantage of, be aware of it, and be aware of whether you want to let the situation continue. x But also be aware - you are the fulcrum of the earth and the reason the world goes round. :) x