Sleeping tablets or melatonin. One night use

JessN12

Nov 24, 2021
So my mum is coming to my wedding in a couple of weeks. She is pretty good with most things but does have a tendency to wander at night.
They will be staying over in a hotel and I'm worried she will unlock the hotel door and wander down and out of the hotel and dad won't wake up and notice it's happened.
I am going to alert the receptionist and night staff but I was wondering if anyone had used a sleeping tablet like herbal (or non herbal) Nytol or melatonin patches as one time aid. Just to make sure she sleeps though the night.
I know it's not good on the long term but just wondering if it might work for one night.
She takes memantine 20mg at night if that makes any difference

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @JessN12 I hope that all goes well with your wedding, and that your mum and dad enjoy themselves. I don't think that it is a good idea to use any of the remedies that you are suggesting as they can make the person dizzy. Would your dad be able to lock the door and take the key out so that your mum could not leave the room without him knowing. The alternative might be to attach some sort of alarm to the door to wake him up if she did try to leave the room.

JessN12

Nov 24, 2021
Thanks @SeaSwallow
I have a feeling it will be a twist lock and key card rather than an actual key unfortunately, i'll have a look into an alarm and stay away from the tablets.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
When I go away with OH I put a piece of pool noodle about 30cm long wedged under the outer door handle so he can still access the toilet at night but opening the outer door is difficult. Take a small plug in night light to put in the toilet for night visits. Door handle wedge depends on the type of door handle of course! Other possibilities are just putting obstacles in the way of the outer door and hope and pray there isn't a fire.