Singing in the supermarket

Orsonkartt

Aug 6, 2023
Just a bit of a moan post really

My wife sings and la-la’s constantly

It’s harmless and most people get that there’s something wrong but aren’t offended.

Today in Lidl The smart **** check out sung back in what to me was a derogatory mocking manner.

I was shocked so paid and left as quickly as possible. It did however make me angry for hours . As if life isn’t hard enough looking after someone with dementia

I would have hoped that dementia training of some sort would have been on the agenda of any face position in a large retail outlet

Apparently not

Rant over

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton

It’s harmless and most people get that there’s something wrong but aren’t offended.

Today in Lidl The smart **** check out sung back in what to me was a derogatory mocking manner.

I was shocked so paid and left as quickly as possible. It did however make me angry for hours . As if life isn’t hard enough looking after someone with dementia

I would have hoped that dementia training of some sort would have been on the agenda of any face position in a large retail outlet

Apparently not

Rant over
no no training even disability training. i reported it to the manager who dealt with it. mine was because of access problems on the shelves because they had their big cages out and put in the way[i have a mobility scooter]. ive noticed since that its much better. just phone or write as thats discrimination.

Orsonkartt

Aug 6, 2023
I’ve written via twitter hopefully things will change. Just made my day tougher than was necessary. Plus took up precious time

Orsonkartt

Aug 6, 2023
lol. To take time to talk to anyone with a wife such as mine who pretty much demands constant attention is a bit of a fantasy. I’ve done all I can do just needed to rant a bit and maybe , just maybe forewarn others who may not know that shops like Lidl have no understanding about certain disabilities

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
@Orsonkartt , if something like that happens again say" oh ,do you like singing . Have you got dementia as well ' doubtful they'll do it again 🤣
Superb advice!!!
@Orsonkartt - you were right to be angry.
The thing with a supermarket is EVERYONE will use it (everyone's got to eat). There surely must be some dementia training.
As some people will know, we virtually live in the local Tesco. They've been fantastic with my mum - it's obvious she's got dementia but they all respect her so much! Don't worry - if they didn't they'd be hearing about it, perhaps using @maggie6445 's technique above.

Orsonkartt

Aug 6, 2023
I absolutely love the idea. I do hope I can remember it next time

Have to confess I won’t be going back to lidls in a hurry. Morrisons , m&s and Asda have Salk be reasonable so far and I have my fingers crossed for the future

Orsonkartt

Aug 6, 2023
I absolutely love the idea. I do hope I can remember it next time

Have to confess I won’t be going back to lidls in a hurry. Morrisons , m&s and Asda have all been on reasonable so far and I have my fingers crossed for the future

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I'm glad one or two supermarket branches are being and training in being dementia friendly - its a start.
Probably up to the store manager.

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022

Apparently not

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Awful, upsetting and annoying.
If it's any consolation (it won't be probably but might make you feel better about your self control) ....
A couple of years ago I went with my husband in a slightly earlier stage of his dementia. We survived the self service checkout and on the way out my husband went towards the security guard to hug him as if he was a long lost friend - tall, tanned, black beard, could have been one of our sons - the man pushed him away and said "Do you know me bruv"to my then 70 year old clearly disoriented husband.
Sorry (not sorry) to say, the air turned blue in the foyer of Sainsbury's where people were queuing to buy their scratch cards and cigarettes.
It IS good to rant at times...

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
how are shops going to improve their understanding and service of those with dementia if we dont say anything. they are supposed to be improving their dementia/disability awareness but very few actually have that in their training. not sure its fair to name them but they have no idea and dont get the training for customer service.

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
I have mentioned before (a while ago) that staff at a local garden centre were brilliant and went beyond the call of duty regarding my husband. They didn't seem to mind that he kept asking the same questions over and over. They just kept calmly repeating the answers. It made him feel so good because people had treated him with respect (as he deserves) and I felt so good that they had been so kind to him. It went a long way and I don't hesitate to use the company again. Companies should think about that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harrymarshallbrooks@gmail