Should I have my hair coloured?

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
My current hair colour is 'salt and pepper grey' and I hate it. I have been thinking I may have it coloured at my next appointment on 30th April. I would love to be outrageous and go shocking pink. I have asked my husband and he said that pink may be a mistake, how about green? I know he hates green so I don't know where that came from. I am concerned, though, that he may have trouble recognising me if I change my hair colour. He often doesn't recognise me now.

I know I could play it safe and colour it silver all over or something near my natural colour (brown) but I really don't want to. I want to do this for ME.

Has anyone done this and did it cause problems?

clarice2

Mar 13, 2016
My current hair colour is 'salt and pepper grey' and I hate it. I have been thinking I may have it coloured at my next appointment on 30th April. I would love to be outrageous and go shocking pink. I have asked my husband and he said that pink may be a mistake, how about green? I know he hates green so I don't know where that came from. I am concerned, though, that he may have trouble recognising me if I change my hair colour. He often doesn't recognise me now.

I know I could play it safe and colour it silver all over or something near my natural colour (brown) but I really don't want to. I want to do this for ME.

My hair was chestnut for 30 years and I decided to change to mid brown.My husband said many times that his wife always had red hair so I know it confused him. I finally stopped colouring it and stayed grey after he died as I know he would not understand if he had seen me with grey hair .

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Could you just try a partial colour and see how it goes? People have lovely streaks put through, sometimes in one colour and occasionally a rainbow. I like the idea of pink!

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
You deserve to do something just for you. As @Lawson58 said you could partially color your hair. You could try coloring the ends to start with and leave the top your natural color. If you like that and your husband doesn’t get confused and think you’re someone else you could color it all next time.

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i quite like blue which would look good with streaks of pink. maybe colour the underneath and maybe silver grey on top. blue and grey tend to go together so maybe you could colour your whole head gradually doing more and more in stages.

Brianna

Dec 17, 2023
You could try one of the Crazy Colour sprays, which wash out. I use a temporary purple colour by Maria Nila on my pepper and salt hair and this also washes out after a few weeks. I would like to try green but my partner said I'd look like an Oompa Loompa if I got a tan.

genevieve 76

Oct 22, 2023
I had been a bottle blonde for years until the grey took over and the blonde looked too much. I bought a purple dye, it covers the grey well and is quite a soft look, in some lights it just makes the grey silvery and in others it looks more purple. Go for it, it's only hair, you can always change it back.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Professor Alice Roberts is a keen experimenter with hair colour - with rather good results.
My favourite was when she had blue hair (can't find a photo of that).
Here's a couple of other shades she's tried.
just-watched-digging-for-britain-anyone-else-think-that-v0-eafpvvzgevha1.jpg

140085ad6763b317c4c1077f15f02a17.jpg

vesuvius-alice-roberts-impossible.jpg

If I was advising a lady of a certain age, I would say go for silver.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Go for it, I was inches away from buying a bottle of brown hair dye today them Mrs next door who was shopping too said hello to me, kind of put me off the purchase at the time.
Grey isn't the new brown for me. K

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I used to have my hair blonde but I got fed up with doing the roots so I let it go white which I quite like but I wanted something a bit more interesting so I bought one of those metallic colours in a silver grey and got my friend to colour the underneath only, It's quite effective and looked looked really nice although it is starting to fade now even though it was a permanent colour.

Google 'peekaboo hair' and you will see what I mean. You just put all that you don't want coloured up into a band and the colour the rest whatever colour you like and no roots to worry about.

For what it's worth you husband may not even notice it, mine didn't even when he trimmed it for me a week or so ago and he doesn't have dementia.

This video shows how easy it is to do although it is a bit long winded. I found it useful to have a friend help me.

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017

I also have hair that's best described as 'pepper & salt' with more grey than my natural mid-brown, although from some angles it does still look rather brown. I'm also considering changing hair colour and opting for either silver or white. White hair can look very striking if you have the dark mediterranean-type colouring but I'm not quite sure about my pale-faced English complexion. Rather than choosing a permanent hair colour, what about a temporary colour that washes out after several washes?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I also have hair that's best described as 'pepper & salt' with more grey than my natural mid-brown, although from some angles it does still look rather brown. I'm also considering changing hair colour and opting for either silver or white. White hair can look very striking if you have the dark mediterranean-type colouring but I'm not quite sure about my pale-faced English complexion. Rather than choosing a permanent hair colour, what about a temporary colour that washes out after several washes?
Why not do not a few tips or streaks and see how you feel about it. There are also number of different shampoos and conditioners that are for blonds that work in a soft way on grey hair, a hint of colour that can be stronger if you use it more often.

All the dark haired people in my family go prematurely grey. I started going grey when I was 12 -13 years old and it was the most humiliating thing a kid my age had to go through. When I was in my teens and 20s, the colours never used to cover the grey hairs so I had all sorts of silver sprays to put in so no one would notice the real grey hairs.