Shortfall in local authority funding

Phill.S

Apr 25, 2023
My mother in law has Alzheimer’s and she’s in a Peterborough care home. Her husband recently died, leaving her with no local visitors. She is not a home owner and her savings have reduced to £17k. We want to move her close to us in Sussex. Peterborough social services have offered funding at the standard East Sussex rate of £699 per week and have sent us details of two recommended care homes. These homes are quoting £1,000+ per week and social services say we must top up the difference, which we can’t! The Alzheimers.org website states that social services must demonstrate that local care home facilities exist at the standard rate quoted, which they haven’t. We have shopped around and there are no local care homes who can meet her needs for less than £1,000 per week. Can we insist that social services pay more?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Phill.S and welcome. I'm not too sure about how funding works in relation to 'cross-boundary' moves to a more expensive area but it might be worth contacting the Dementia Support Line as they will most likely have experience of these types of issues:

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Phil.S
You are not obliged to pay top up cares fees if you don't want to, or can't. One adult, unless they have contractually agreed, is not liable for the debts or expenses or another adult.
LA's always put a limit on how much they will pay for persons who become residents in care or nursing homes, and the level is always, it seems, well below what the care/nursing homes want to charge. Thus, the care/nursing homes always charge self funding residents a rate higher than the costs, to make up for the residents who are paid for by LAs, so self funders in effect subsidise state funded residents.
The problem is finding a care/nursing home that is suitable for the PWD, and willing to accept the amount the LA will pay, Even in E Sussex there will be places that will accept payments at the LA level.
You may have to go back to the homes you've spoken to, to check whether in view of the level of the assets of MIL, and the fact there is no-one else in position to pay top up fees, they will be prepared to accept MIL. If not, you'll have keep searching for other homes that will accept the position.
Good luck! You'll need energy, persuasion and determination!
If it absolutely can't work, then you'll have to leave MIL in Peterborough area for that council to find a suitable place at the fees they will pay.

Phill.S

Apr 25, 2023
Hi @Phil.S
You are not obliged to pay top up cares fees if you don't want to, or can't. One adult, unless they have contractually agreed, is not liable for the debts or expenses or another adult.
LA's always put a limit on how much they will pay for persons who become residents in care or nursing homes, and the level is always, it seems, well below what the care/nursing homes want to charge. Thus, the care/nursing homes always charge self funding residents a rate higher than the costs, to make up for the residents who are paid for by LAs, so self funders in effect subsidise state funded residents.
The problem is finding a care/nursing home that is suitable for the PWD, and willing to accept the amount the LA will pay, Even in E Sussex there will be places that will accept payments at the LA level.
You may have to go back to the homes you've spoken to, to check whether in view of the level of the assets of MIL, and the fact there is no-one else in position to pay top up fees, they will be prepared to accept MIL. If not, you'll have keep searching for other homes that will accept the position.
Good luck! You'll need energy, persuasion and determination!
If it absolutely can't work, then you'll have to leave MIL in Peterborough area for that council to find a suitable place at the fees they will pay.
Thanks for your help.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Phill.S
I think the problem is that your MIL is moving to a more expensive area.
I believe that the care home will be funded by the LA that she has moved from and not the LA where she has moved to.
The Alzheimers.org website states that social services must demonstrate that local care home facilities exist at the standard rate quoted, which they haven’t
I think this means that the LA has to show that care homes exist that will accept the rate local to the LA (In this case Peterborough), not local to you.

I am not sure how this can be resolved.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I am almost certain that care is cheaper in Peterborough than it will be on the South coast.
I'd imagine there are choices in P Boro, at £699, but not in Sussex.

I doubt very much that you will get P Boro to pay Sussex prices as its something you are choosing to do

I dont see s she can move to Susse without someone paying the difference.

social services must demonstrate that local care home facilities exist at the standard rate quoted - I am sure they can ....in Peterborough...which is their loal area