Moving to nursing care and possible change of local authority.

Freddiemc

May 26, 2022
Hi, my mam has alzheimer's and after a rapid decline in her illness she ended up in a temporary placement in a residential care home with a view to becoming permanent. Originally when I resigned myself the the fact that mam would end up in care ,I wanted her to be close to me.
However because of the emergency placement she was placed within her local authority. She has eventually settled there but is now on anti psychotic twice a day. I was prepared to let her stay where she was placed because she had settled.
However , although the home can manage her now, we have just had her assessment. She has qualified for funded nursing care. But there is no bed in the home in the EMI unit.
Does anyone have experience of changing local authorities?. I realise it will be a different mental health team. I feel like I m back to the beginning and am all out of fight. My mam will end up self funding as she owns her own house, so I need to know where to seek advice on financial matters too.
Thanks in advance.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
There should be no problems especially if self funding. My mum moved from Coventry to Birmingham as and then to another borough.
It's a bit of a pain as she will be assigned a different social worker and sometimes it feels like having to repeat certain steps, but not major