Short term memory loss

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Tobitab

yes, welcome to TP!

While apparent short term memory loss is one symptom that may indicate dementia, it can also be indicative of a range of ailments including:

• Alcohol abuse
  • Atlantic mussel food poisoning
  • B12 deficiencey
  • Cerebrovascular disease
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Delirium
  • Dementia
  • Depression
  • Distraction
  • Drug abuse
  • Encephalitis
  • Head injury
  • Hypothyroidism
  • Lead poisoning
  • Marijuana abuse
  • Normal ageing
  • Stress

I'm no expert and this list is neither necessarily correct, or authoritative, but there are many more causes of apparent short term memory loss than dementia.

Tobitab

Dec 9, 2009
San Jose
hi sandy and brucie,

tnx for your info. my deceased grandfather had an alzheimers, is the alzheimers is a hereditary illness?? if so i really need an info to prevent it. tnx..

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Tobitax your question is Alzheimer’s / dementia hereditary usually its one the things your Consultant will ask, and unfortunately my dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s when was mid seventies although look back the family now think it was more like in his sixties dad knew his memory was bad but he would say he was punch drunk from his younger days when boxing, my Mum, her sister & her brother were all diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in their eighties although none of them were as bad as my dad he had no idea who we were, I was diagnosed at the age 57 I'm almost 67 now ok few problems got to be positive best not to worry