Memory test score.

Jaded'n'faded

Well after a terrible experience at the memory clinic, my oh got an appointment for a MRI. We went, he had it, got told maybe just a follow up call if all's OK. He now has a letter to go back to memory clinic to discuss the results. The letter say, 'please bring someone with you for support,' do I take it that they have found something on the scan?
Can you write that letter detailing all his issues and send it to the memory clinic before the appointment? It would really help.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
I agree with what @Jaded'n'faded has just said. My mother could do well at the tests but when you started talking to her in more depth it became obvious something was awry. The letter to the GP helped him to ask questions that showed that it was likely she did have dementia.
Hope the meeting helps with a diagnosis and a way forward with support.

Fugs

@Newanne , yes I think that you can assume that they have found something, which is why they want you in attendance. Sorry, I recognise that it is hard news to take.

Newanne

Can you write that letter detailing all his issues and send it to the memory clinic before the appointment? It would really help.
Yes I have already written the letter you suggested before but was reluctant to send it. Now I think I have no choice. Feeling very nervous how oh is going to react after this meeting but it's got to be faced and how he is now I think he'll forget what was said. (driving is the thing, if they stop him and he keeps forgetting, how do people cope? Thanks so much for you support. I've been so worried over the last few weeks but what will be will be.

Newanne

I agree with what @Jaded'n'faded has just said. My mother could do well at the tests but when you started talking to her in more depth it became obvious something was awry. The letter to the GP helped him to ask questions that showed that it was likely she did have dementia.
Hope the meeting helps with a diagnosis and a way forward with support.
Thank you so much for the support.

maisiecat

Hi @Newanne ,I think they have definitely found something on the MRI. The appt will be difficult for you as you are also receiving the news but you will also need to provide a lot of reassurance.
My husband still gets agitated when he feels he is being assessed so your OH is likely to go through lots of different emorions.
Make sure you have someone who can listen and support you afterwards

Violet Jane

The letter may be a standard letter covering all possibilities but I think that you should be prepared for a diagnosis. Although it would be upsetting, at least with a diagnosis you would have some clarity and could make plans. Undiagnosed dementia leaves you in an anxious limbo and can deprive the person of helpful medication, financial help and services, limited though they are.

Newanne

Hi @Newanne ,I think they have definitely found something on the MRI. The appt will be difficult for you as you are also receiving the news but you will also need to provide a lot of reassurance.
My husband still gets agitated when he feels he is being assessed so your OH is likely to go through lots of different emorions.
Make sure you have someone who can listen and support you afterwards
I'm getting myself prepared, daughter is on standby to intervein if needed. OH is not aware that anyone else knows, (that's a joke as everyone that knows him well is very aware) so that's going to be an issue. it's very scarry but not knowing has driven me crazy at times over the last 2y. Thanks for replying. This page is a godsend. ❤️

Newanne

The letter may be a standard letter covering all possibilities but I think that you should be prepared for a diagnosis. Although it would be upsetting, at least with a diagnosis you would have some clarity and could make plans. Undiagnosed dementia leaves you in an anxious limbo and can deprive the person of helpful medication, financial help and services, limited though they are.
Thank you violet Jane. Yes I've been in, as you say, anxious limbo for too long, made me ill last year but am coping better now. Some people on here are coping with much more, I have to admire everyone who is caring for someone with this pig of a thing.