Share your recipe ideas for our magazine

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Just a reminder that we're keeping this as an ongoing thread, so please keep sharing any easy, quick and affordable recipes :)

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
A one pan sausage and bean stew for 4, ready in 30 mins. [Obviously halve ingredients for 2]

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil; pack of 8 sausages; 2 peppers deseeded and thinly sliced, 2 cloves of garlic crushed, 2 tins of your choice of beans, potatoes cut into 1cm dice, 300ml chicken stock.

Method:
- heat oil in large shallow saucepan, or frying pan. Add the sausages and peppers and fry gently, stirring, for about 8 to 10 mins
- stir in the garlic, then the mixed beans, the chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 12 to 15 mins until the potatoes are soft, and the juices thickened. Season to taste, and serve.

Result:
see photo below

Attachments

• ssausage stew!.jpg
    ssausage stew!.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 106

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
This looks amazing @Chizz and definitely a great comfort dish for the cold months! Thanks for sharing :)

The magazine team were also wondering if anyone has any recipes you'd recommend for people with specific dietary requirements - e.g. gluten-free, controlled sugar, vegetarian or vegan. If anyone has a recipe that fits into these, please feel free to share them here.

Loving all the recipes that have been shared so far!

Frustrated&impatient

Oct 23, 2022
Do you have ideas about meals that could help other people caring for a relative or friend who has dementia?

Have you found anything that helps to keep food interesting and nutritious when you have so many other demands on your time and budget?

Are there specific recipes you've been able to rely on time and again?

If so, we'd like to share these with readers of our magazine, Dementia together - and we'd love to see pictures too!

Email magazine@alzheimers.org.uk or reply on this thread.

Thanks everyone :)

View attachment 68606
I would try to keep meals simple (similar to the meals the person would have had when younger.
Because Alzheimer’s affects vision, contrasting and bright coloured food may be more appealing Eg peas next to carrots.
Unless the person truly dislikes spices, it could give the food more taste. I noticed Mum’s sense of taste disappeared in the last few years. She could drink a cup of tea made with ‘solid’ milk. On that occasion, the carer didn’t notice the milk was off either.

Frustrated&impatient

Oct 23, 2022
A one pan sausage and bean stew for 4, ready in 30 mins. [Obviously halve ingredients for 2]

Ingredients:
2 tsp olive oil; pack of 8 sausages; 2 peppers deseeded and thinly sliced, 2 cloves of garlic crushed, 2 tins of your choice of beans, potatoes cut into 1cm dice, 300ml chicken stock.

Method:
- heat oil in large shallow saucepan, or frying pan. Add the sausages and peppers and fry gently, stirring, for about 8 to 10 mins
- stir in the garlic, then the mixed beans, the chicken stock and potatoes. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 12 to 15 mins until the potatoes are soft, and the juices thickened. Season to taste, and serve.

Result:
see photo below
I wouldn’t halve the ingredients. I would refrigerate or freeze leftovers for another day.

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
I would try to keep meals simple (similar to the meals the person would have had when younger.
Because Alzheimer’s affects vision, contrasting and bright coloured food may be more appealing Eg peas next to carrots.
Unless the person truly dislikes spices, it could give the food more taste. I noticed Mum’s sense of taste disappeared in the last few years. She could drink a cup of tea made with ‘solid’ milk. On that occasion, the carer didn’t notice the milk was off either.
I agree, in all respects. Both mam & dad enjoy, (enjoyed) familiar meals from childhood, eg dad loves liver, bacon & onion gravy. But also his sense of taste is depleted & he has no sense of smell, so he often enjoys things with more spice or flavour than he used to. I too use carrots & peas, or tinned tomatoes, red peppers etc.
Dad using off milk or food was definitely a problem before I moved in
x

dbrilyant

Sep 14, 2014
I am a decade from diagnosis of dementia but still do most of the catering! A hint I picked up from a carer at a support group helps immensely. I prepare food ahead of time, a bit at a time, without stress. I then plate it up and heat in the microwave oven.

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
Thanks so much @Frustrated&impatient, @MIKE OLIVE, @Graybiker and @dbrilyant - all really good advice!

Everyone else - please keep your tips and recipes coming :)
You know sometimes the simplest things are the best. When I don’t have much time or haven’t got much in, one thing dad really enjoys is just a cheese omelette with tinned tomatoes. He even asks for a spoon to finish the tomato juice! Like many elderly people he doesn’t take as much fluid in as would be ideal, but he loves tinned tomatoes so it’s a win win 😁

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljhurd