Share your recipe ideas for our magazine

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Do you have ideas about meals that could help other people caring for a relative or friend who has dementia?

Have you found anything that helps to keep food interesting and nutritious when you have so many other demands on your time and budget?

Are there specific recipes you've been able to rely on time and again?

If so, we'd like to share these with readers of our magazine, Dementia together - and we'd love to see pictures too!

Email magazine@alzheimers.org.uk or reply on this thread.

Thanks everyone :)

DTMAugSept23_cooking_1a.jpg

Last edited:

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
I make and freeze many different soups, particularly inthe winter.
Spicy tomato and red pepper is popular at the moment
Dessert spoon of veg oil
2 tins of chopped tomatoes,
1 blitzed red pepper.
1 blitzed onion
A couple of vegetable stock cubes.
small sprinkle of chilli flakes according to how spicy you like it.

In a large saucepan add veg oil and gently cook red pepper, onion and chosen anmount of chilli flakes until soft, then add tins of tomatoes and approx 1 pint of water . When coming to a gentle boil add crumbled stock cubes and then turn down the heat and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend in a blender. Check to see if more season needs to be added.
Serve with perhaps a swirl of cream if wanted and toast or crusty bread

Pacucho

I have to say I got into baking as a result of caring for my late mum. She absolutely loved flapjacks, which helped with both our digestive systems ! Here is the recipe I developed over time.

- Melt 350g salted butter over a low heat, and stir in 170g caster sugar
- When it is well mixed stir in 50g sesame seeds and a handful of sultanas, followed by 450g porridge oats and 120g self-raising flour
- Stir until it is well mixed and you can take the pan off the hob by this time.
- Turn the mixture into a medium/large well greased baking tin, and spread the mixture level with a spatula or back of the knife.
- Bake the flapjacks at around 162.5 C for around 35 mins (until light brown colour)
- Let the tin cool down and then cut into finger shaped pieces.
- They keep well in a tin as there is no syrup in the recipe.

Graybiker

Oct 3, 2017
County Durham
I call it ‘The chicken Thing’. Made out of what we had & developed a bit. Not really a recipe, more like guidelines lol. For 2 people.
2 chicken legs
1 small tin chopped tomatoes
Chicken stock pot
Onion
Garlic (I keep frozen chopped onions & garlic, very handy)
5/6 new potatoes or in winter, 2 potatoes cut into chunks
Suggested seasonal vegetables, green beans, celery, carrot, red pepper, mushrooms, frozen peas, or whatever you have.
Beans are an alternative to potatoes or an addition, haricot or butter beans
Flavours; salt, pepper, paprika, fennel seeds, chilli, sage or whatever takes your fancy.

Method:
Rub some oil, salt, pepper & paprika on the chicken. Brown in frying pan, then set aside in roasting dish.
Add garlic & onions to frying pan, after a few minutes add veg, fennel seeds, more paprika and as much chilli powder as you like.
Add veg. Stir to coat in flavours.
Add chopped tomatoes & hot chicken stock, bring to the boil.
Add pan contents to roasting tin & cover with foil.
Cook at 170 deg for 30/35 minutes.
Remove foil & cook for a further 10 minutes to crisp chicken skin & reduce liquid.
Remove from oven & leave for 5 minutes before serving
Cooking the chicken this way makes it very tender & succulent. The tomatoes make it light & juicy. Chicken legs are much cheaper than breast.
Whenever I make this dad says, ‘ooh that looks nice!’ but doesn’t think he’ll manage to finish it. He always does.
Sorry, not the best pic

Attachments

• 70517436907__630749D7-B524-42F4-8CE3-74485505EF71.fullsizerender.jpeg
    70517436907__630749D7-B524-42F4-8CE3-74485505EF71.fullsizerender.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 171

Beloved

Jul 23, 2023
Chicken Nuggets

Cut 2 chicken breasts into chunks.

Whisk 1 egg

1 cup panko breadcrumbs

½- 3/4 teaspoon of salt,

¼ - ½ teaspoon of turmeric,

¼ -½ teaspoon of white pepper

¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1. Put the whisked egg and panko breadcrumbs into 2 separate bowls

2. To the panko breadcrumbs add salt, turmeric, black pepper and bicarbonate of soda. Can add ½ teaspoon of spices coriander, cumin, paprika or chilli powder for a spicy version

3. Dip the chicken chunks into the whisked egg, After dip the chicken into the spiced panko breadcrumbs to coat.

4. Fry in oil to seal the chicken and then put on a grill 5-10 minutes for oil to drain.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Love all these recipes - suddenly feeling very hungry! Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to post these.

Dollytatty

Aug 12, 2023
Hearthy oats biscuits.
1 cup whole meal flour
Tablespoon baking powder.

1 egg
1 cup of oats
1 cup of Virginia oil
Vanilla essence few drops
Cinnamon tablespoon
Ginger tablespoon
1 cup sultana's
Whisk egg, oil, Cinnamon,ginger
Add flour and whisk, if to stiff keep adding from a cup of Black tea, add oats and raisins then stir in.
Pop abit of flour on and near with hand,
Roll out or flatten ball sizes golf.
Bake bottom of oven gas mark 4 till golden brown.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Cauliflower cheese with bacon.

This is the cheat’s recipe.

Half a cauliflower, cut into florets and par cooked till starting to look transparent and tender.

Pan fry 200 grams of diced until lightly brown.

Use either a prepared cheese sauce, or prepare a packet carbonara sauce.

Sprinkle half the bacon over the cauliflower and then spread the cheese sauce over, making sure all the cauliflower is covered. Sprinkle on a cup of grated cheese and the remaining diced bacon.

Bake in a moderate oven till the cheese and bacon are golden and the dish is bubbling.
Serve on its own or with a couple of pork sausages baked in the oven while the cauliflower is cooking.

Proper version for guests!

Make your own cheese sauce and omit the diced bacon. Instead, use a few slices of streaky bacon across the top and cook till bacon is crispy.

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpeg
    IMG_0609.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 178

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Easiest Boiled Fruit Cake

1 can pie apple (about 400 grams)

500 grams mixed fruit. ( You can throw in a handful of sultanas or dried apricot if you want but not essential.)

70 grams butter

70 grams brown sugar

1/2 cup water

1 and 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

2 eggs lightly beaten and at room temperature

1 and 1/2 cups SR flour

Mixed spice to taste if liked.

Empty apple, mixed fruit, butter and water into a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer stirring often till butter is melted then ad bicarbonate. Stir in sugar and simmer gently for another 2 minutes and remove from heat.

Allow mixture to cool till just warm then stir in flour, eggs and spice and combine well.

Bake in a lightly oiled tin lined with baking paper at 160 degrees for about an hour. Test with a skewer to make sure it’s cooked and cool in the tin.

This is a favourite with everybody and I make it often for my environmental group who are mostly active oldies.

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpeg
    IMG_0614.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 145

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi all!
You'll see my avatar/picture is a blueberry cake with almond and cinnamon. As I'm not much of a baker, it means for me to make this, it must be simple!

Serves 8
A) Ingredients 165g unsalted butter
100g ground almonds 115g soft brown sugar
110g plain flour 55g sugar + an extra 3 tbsp
1 tsp baking powder 2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
3/4 tsp salt 300g blueberries

B) Method
1) preheat oven 190C/170C fan/Gas 5.
2) Grease a 23cm fluted tart tin or round cake tin
3) In a bowl whisk together the ground almonds, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
4) Using an electric mixer and a separate bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar 55g of sugar together on medium-high until super light and fluffy: three to four minutes
5) scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the electric mixer on medium, add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, then add the vanilla. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the mixture is pale and nearly doubled in volume: four to five minutes
6) Fold in the almond mixture until no dry spots remain
7) Gently add 225g blueberries by hand, making sure you don't totally smush them.
8) Transfer the batter to the tart or cake tin, and using a spatula or back of a spoon smooth the top
9) Sprinkle the remaining blueberries whole and the three tablespoons of sugar on top
10) Bake until the cake is deeply golden brown and pulls away from the edges slightly: 30 to 35 minutes
It should start to crackle a bit on top
11) Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing
Enjoy!

Attachments

• R's blueberry cake.jpg
    R's blueberry cake.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 149
Dessert spoon of veg oil
1 blitzed red pepper.
1 blitzed onion

In a large saucepan add veg oil and gently cook red pepper, onion and chosen anmount of chilli flakes until soft, then add tins of tomatoes and approx 1 pint of water . When coming to a gentle boil add crumbled stock cubes and then turn down the heat and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend in a blender. Check to see if more season needs to be added.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
An update for you all:

The magazine team have gone with @Lawson58's cauliflower cheese with bacon recipe to feature in the upcoming magazine, but I wanted to say a huge thank you again to everyone for your amazing contributions. The team said that they might be able to use other recipes from this thread in the future!

We'll be keeping this thread open, so everyone is welcome to keep sharing their recipe ideas on here :)

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
An update for you all:

The magazine team have gone with @Lawson58's cauliflower cheese with bacon recipe to feature in the upcoming magazine, but I wanted to say a huge thank you again to everyone for your amazing contributions. The team said that they might be able to use other recipes from this thread in the future!

We'll be keeping this thread open, so everyone is welcome to keep sharing their recipe ideas on here :)
Hi @HarrietD and @Lawson58
I did the cauliflower cheese recipe for our meal today, although I also put in broad beans,
For simpletons like me, the amount of cheese in grams would have been easier that a "cup" and an actual temperature for the oven would have helped. I cooked it at 160fan for about 20 mins, plus some standing time, and it was indeed lovely. Thanks @Lawson58

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Dessert spoon of veg oil
1 blitzed red pepper.
1 blitzed onion

@Skylark/2 - our magazine are hoping to feature your cosy spicy tomato and red pepper soup recipe in their next issue :)

The magazine's deputy editor, Jess, tested it last night (see photo) and loved it!

soup 5.jpg