sept 21

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
Have been having a short rest from the forum so missed your news @PalSal. So sorry to hear of your husbands fall and decline. Also probably have some idea of how you feel about his children visiting/ not visiting him. We‘ve got two children now in their late 30’s who are very reluctant to visit their dad in the home. It is a lonely vigil. My husband isn’t quite at the stage yours is, but I can see what the future holds through your posts. Although you feel alone my thoughts are with you.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Dear Talking Point Friends,
My Nick died on July 19, 2021. He was alone, as I had gone home to sleep after sitting with him for over 12 hours. My youngest and second child both got to say goodbye. The two kids in Norway never managed to come because of restrictions. They will be coming to the Celebration of Life in Sept., as by then they will both have had their second vaccines. It was not an easy death and he had considerable pain. Dearest man, nothing seems very fair. He was 68 on April 14th.
Even though I had hoped and prayed for him to be released from this difficult worldly existence, it was still unbearably sad and painful that he is now gone.
Thankfully, he had lived a full life by the time he was struck with the disease at 49. He made the best of it for as long as he could, he was very brave as in the beginning he was so aware of having the disease. I want to remember the great adventurer, loving father and husband, kind and gentle man. I hope I can eventually remember him as he was when strong and capable, at the moment my visions are of him as lost, anxious, unwell and dying.
His brain was taken to verify the disease and to help in research. He was then cremated.

Thank you TP friends who have given me great advice and comfort here since 2011 when I found the site, desperate for support in English and for others trying to do their best in a hopeless situation.

Attachments

• Pelly Crossing.jpg
    Pelly Crossing.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 231

Peace lily

Jan 30, 2020
Dear @PalSal, I am so sorry to hear your news. Sending you my sincerest condolences. Nick is at peace now, released from this terrible illness. Take care and give yourself time to grieve and heal.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so terribly sorry to read your news. Nick is at peace now and I wish you strength for the days and weeks to come.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am so sorry to hear you news @PalSal - and that the ending was not as kind as it could have been.

I am three years on from losing my husband and, although the more difficult memories surface from time to time, I can honestly say that when I remember him it is the vibrant, strong, happy and loving man I remember - the true essence of who he was.

I am sure that, in time, you will have your wish to be able to remember Nick as the great adventurer, loving father, husband and gentle person that you describe with such love.

Wishing you strength going forward.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I read your news with shock @PalSal

I realised you hadn`t posted for a while and now I understand why.

It happens quite often. People post regularly, marking the progression of the disease and the struggles. There follows a period of silence which is then broken by the announcement of a death.

It`s always a shock.

I know your Nick will be at peace now and hope in time you will find peace too.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))
I am so sorry for your loss.
I wasnt with mum when she passed away either. I had spent three days and nights with her, sleeping on the floor and then I had to go home and check on OH. By the time I got home she had passed. One of the carers said she had seen this many times and she thought that often the person dying didnt want to pass away in front of their relative.

Please be gentle with yourself now
xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B