Sectioning!

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi any advice would be very much appreciated if anyone’s still awake I’m really desperate!

My mum has advanced dementia and over the last couple of days has been getting increasingly distressed. Shes barely eaten a thing for the last three days. She thinks we’ve kidnapped her and are holding her hostage and won’t let her go home to her mum. She keeps sneaking out of the house and wandering off. If we catch her and try to stop her she becomes aggressive and storms off, we can’t physically restrain her. We live close to the river and she thinks she lives on the other side of the river. She is crying hysterically constantly and gets even more distressed when it starts to get dark, it’s like someone’s suddenly flicked a switch. Tonight she was crying hysterically and saying she couldn’t breath, her blood pressure was 190/70 so I called an ambulance. When they came she told them we wouldn’t let her go home and was crying hysterically. They said they felt she needed sectioning because she was so distressed and it wasn’t fair to leave her as she was, the ambulance crew could see how frightened she was. She literally ran out of the house with them, telling them as she went that we were mean because we wouldn’t take her home. She doesn’t recognise me and told me I was a liar when I said I was her daughter. She thinks she’s a little girl. The ambulance man advised me to stay away because she was really distressed by me because I kidnapped her so I agreed it was for the best.

That was at 7pm this evening, I’ve had two calls from the hospital where the nurses in A&E keep ringing me and then putting her on the phone! She’s crying hysterically wanting me to go and get her but I know if she sees me she won’t know me as her daughter. She hasn’t been seen by the mental health team and I’m guessing she’s getting on the nerves of staff at the hospital and they want me to come and take her home. The problem is it won’t solve anything since she doesn’t know who I am and just wants her mum, it will give the nurses at the hospital some peace though. I can’t keep her safe and believe she needs to be sectioned so they can get her on the right medication if I go and get her the same thing will happen all over again. I’ve switched off my phone because my anxiety levels are through the roof I really can’t cope with the way she is at the moment.. can they make me go and get her?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I don’t believe so no. What an awful thing to be going through.!But I agree with you. You cannot keep her safe.
I have no suggestions unfortunately but I hope it calms down at some point..Keep your phone off.Do they not have an emergency SW or someone on call from the Mental Health Team?

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I don’t believe so no. What an awful thing to be going through.!But I agree with you. You cannot keep her safe.
I have no suggestions unfortunately but I hope it calms down at some point..Keep your phone off.Do they not have an emergency SW or someone on call from the Mental Health Team?

Hi thanks for the reply. I don’t think they have anyone on duty, it’s an absolute disgrace. They’d only had her for three hours before they phoned me, they obviously can’t cope but expect me to. They didn’t even speak to me they just passed her the phone, I kept saying can you give the nurse the phone but she didn’t understand. I feel physically sick at the thought of her coming back and it starting all over again it’s relentless! She won’t stop crying she’s so distressed that I won’t take her home and she needs to eat or she’ll get even worse. I think they will discharge her and call me to get her tomorrow and there’s no way I can cope!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
What a nightmare for you and your mum. In short no they can't make you take her home and she will not probably see anyone from mental health until tomorrow now as they will want other causes ruled out first (such as infection etc). Most hospitals do have a mental health liaison team (MHLT) which is 24/7 (I say team when in fact its probably one person). It might be better if you call the hospital switchboard and ask to be put through yourself to the MHLT person and take things from there.....

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
What a nightmare for you and your mum. In short no they can't make you take her home and she will not probably see anyone from mental health until tomorrow now as they will want other causes ruled out first (such as infection etc). Most hospitals do have a mental health liaison team (MHLT) which is 24/7 (I say team when in fact its probably one person). It might be better if you call the hospital switchboard and ask to be put through yourself to the MHLT person and take things from there.....

Hi Palerider, thanks for the response. I can’t think straight I feel physically sick! It’s taking all my strength not to go and get her but I know 100% I will be back to where I was before they took her. She has been like this since last Thursday, I called 111 Sunday and had to wait all day for someone to call me back when they did it was dark out. They said I had to drive her to the out of hours at the hospital but she wouldn’t get in the car, she doesn’t like the dark so we rode it out hoping she’d be better today but she started asking for her mum first thing this morning and went hysterical when I said but you live here with me, she said why would you say that I want my mum. I found a knife under her pillow when I stripped her bed tonight to wash the sheets, she hasn’t let me do it for weeks. I think she had the knife because she’s scared of us and that breaks my heart that she’s so frightened, I can’t keep going through this constant sadness it’s overwhelming. I need them to give her something to help. I can’t believe she needs to be this tormented.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’ve just seen your post this morning @Rosserk

The Hospital can’t force you to take your mum home. I was in a situation where my dad was not safe to be home but hospital kept trying to discharge him anyway. I know how stressful this situation is. I refused to collect him and I was then phoned and told they’d have to section him if I didn’t so I let them section him (section 2) which meant they were responsible for his safety for the next 4 weeks. It gave me time to decide what to do next.

Dad went from hospital to a carehome after as caring for him was beyond my capabilities. So stand firm and refuse to let your mum be discharged and hopefully something can be found to help her distress.

(((hugs)))

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi Palerider, thanks for the response. I can’t think straight I feel physically sick! It’s taking all my strength not to go and get her but I know 100% I will be back to where I was before they took her. She has been like this since last Thursday, I called 111 Sunday and had to wait all day for someone to call me back when they did it was dark out. They said I had to drive her to the out of hours at the hospital but she wouldn’t get in the car, she doesn’t like the dark so we rode it out hoping she’d be better today but she started asking for her mum first thing this morning and went hysterical when I said but you live here with me, she said why would you say that I want my mum. I found a knife under her pillow when I stripped her bed tonight to wash the sheets, she hasn’t let me do it for weeks. I think she had the knife because she’s scared of us and that breaks my heart that she’s so frightened, I can’t keep going through this constant sadness it’s overwhelming. I need them to give her something to help. I can’t believe she needs to be this tormented.

It is disturbing when someone who knows us so well experiences these thoughts, but try to cling onto the the idea that this is the disease and not your mum. I think its obvious she needs more substantial help now so hopefuly today you will get some answers and what is going to happen, but as @Bunpoots rightly mentions don't take her home with you. Its so hard, but you couldn't manage this on your own and it would be unsafe for mum while seriously impacting on you. Let us know how you get on today...

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I’ve just seen your post this morning @Rosserk

The Hospital can’t force you to take your mum home. I was in a situation where my dad was not safe to be home but hospital kept trying to discharge him anyway. I know how stressful this situation is. I refused to collect him and I was then phoned and told they’d have to section him if I didn’t so I let them section him (section 2) which meant they were responsible for his safety for the next 4 weeks. It gave me time to decide what to do next.

Dad went from hospital to a carehome after as caring for him was beyond my capabilities. So stand firm and refuse to let your mum be discharged and hopefully something can be found to help her distress.

(((hugs)))
Thank you @Bunpoots I haven’t slept all night I feel so sick and anxious I’m afraid to turn my phone back on. They will let mum keep ringing me and I can’t face it. She was crying down the phone last night and I literally couldn’t speak I just held the phone and listened to her crying and begging me to come and get her then I put the phone down. She’s been really difficult since July last year and I’ve begged the mental health team to help but they just ignore me. The mental health team came to see her before Christmas and she answered the door and sent them away and they went. The first I knew about it was when they emailed and told me! I phoned SS and they said what do you want us to do and I said I don’t know so they said well when you do give us a ring and let us know! I would like her home if she can be stabilised so she’s not so distressed but I mentally and physically can’t cope with her as she is now x

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
It is disturbing when someone who knows us so well experiences these thoughts, but try to cling onto the the idea that this is the disease and not your mum. I think its obvious she needs more substantial help now so hopefuly today you will get some answers and what is going to happen, but as @Bunpoots rightly mentions don't take her home with you. Its so hard, but you couldn't manage this on your own and it would be unsafe for mum while seriously impacting on you. Let us know how you get on today...
Thanks @Palerider i haven’t turned my phone on I simply can’t face it I’m going to leave it off for as long as I can so they have a chance to assess her. There is no way I can go down the Hospital I feel like I’m going to collapse, I feel physically sick and overwhelmingly exhausted. X

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Rosserk, you are in the middle of one of the worst and most soul destroying dementia events. It wouldn't be fair for you to take Mum home, on either of you. It is so sad. I can imagine your anxiety levels are through the roof - I think everyone would feel the same. I hope you get some support today and get the right outcome for you and Mum. Stay strong.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Oh my gosh how awful for all of you. What a stressful situation. I Hope things get moving today to sort something out to settle your mum.
What an awful night for both of you. Mum has had a few incidents lately where she thinks hubby and I are tormenting her by saying we are us when she doesnt believe us and we're trapping her and they are heartbreaking to see her so confused and upset as well as difficult to cope with for us.
Yours sound so much worse and harder to deal with, how do you care for someone who is scared of you because doesnt believe who you are.
I hope today is better and now its day time there are staff at hospital who can help your poor mum. XxX

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Hello @Rosserk, How are you? Been thinking of you this morning.
I really do hope that you haven't been to the hospital to collect your mum, much as we can all see that's what you want to do.

It seems to me that your mum's immediate needs outweigh her wants.
Hospital or even a unit where her medical needs can be focussed on is now the absolutely best place for her. Being cared for by you at home really isn't.
It's very wrong that the hospital staff are bullying you (I use that word with great consideration)

Stay strong ...so very many of us on TP have experienced something similar, you can't see us but we stand as tall and strong as we can behind you.
Twiddler.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hello @Rosserk, How are you? Been thinking of you this morning.
I really do hope that you haven't been to the hospital to collect your mum, much as we can all see that's what you want to do.

It seems to me that your mum's immediate needs outweigh her wants.
Hospital or even a unit where her medical needs can be focussed on is now the absolutely best place for her. Being cared for by you at home really isn't.
It's very wrong that the hospital staff are bullying you (I use that word with great consideration)

Stay strong ...so very many of us on TP have experienced something similar, you can't see us but we stand as tall and strong as we can behind you.
Twiddler.

Hi hospital just called after I switched my phone on they said she was medically fit and wanted to go home. I said well she needs sectioning and they said they get the mental health team to see her. She’s been there since 7pm last night in A&E and hasn’t been seen by mental health team! I’m at my wits end she must be really distressed I don’t know what to do! X

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Hi Rosserk. What a terrible situation for you to be going through. Stand your ground and let them do the sorting out of your mums care.As I was told when dad was taken into hospital on New Year’s Day, they are used to caring for dementia patients and it is out of my hands.He attacked nurses and had security men holding him on the bed.They gave him lorazepam to calm him down.The hospital dad is in ,has a dementia cordinater who has been a god send.She rang me ,as she had seen dads name on her computer.( she saw him last year when I couldn’t cope with him at home)She is my go between as dad is now in a carehome.Do they have someone like that at the hospital your mum is in? It’s worth asking or checking on line. Dad is waiting to see psychiatrist,as the carehome won’t let him back until his meds have been sorted. He’s medically fit so is bed blocking so I’m sure they will want him out as soon as possible. I really hope that something can be done for your poor mum.If you mention your at carers breakdown and need a break , they will sort care out for her.As I have been told many a time, you do not have to care if you don’t want to but some of us want to do it to the best of our ability.We are not superhuman ( it might feel like it sometimes) and there is only so much we can do. I’m sending you big hugs ( cos I know you need it) and please keep posting as we are all here to help if we can.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
As I've just said on our messages, It took a long time (first time around) from them declaring my Dad medically fit to him seeing the Mental Health Team to be sectioned (3 days). The only thing I can say is that they MUST know she isn't capable of looking after herself, otherwise they would of let her go, they wouldn't allow her to block a bed if they thought they could just discharge her. Keep with it x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi hospital just called after I switched my phone on they said she was medically fit and wanted to go home. I said well she needs sectioning and they said they get the mental health team to see her. She’s been there since 7pm last night in A&E and hasn’t been seen by mental health team! I’m at my wits end she must be really distressed I don’t know what to do! X

I remember being in your situation. When I rang the Alzheimer’s helpline they told me to wait for the hospital to make the next move. Your poor mum would be equally distressed at home and there is nothing you can do to help her apart from insisting that the medical people do their job.

If your mum’s not eating and drinking it’ll make her more confused. I hope she’s been checked for infection or a TIA. I hope she can soon be calmed enough to accept help.

Do you have H&W LPA? You know when your mum says “Home” she means to her mum and dad. Get them to ask her where home is and who she lives with.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
So very sorry for what you are going through.

You need to be very strong/determined now and insist that your Mum receives the help she needs, please don’t relent as you know deep down she needs more help now than you or anyone can provide at home...

Thinking of you.

ebas

Aug 8, 2019
I am going through the same thing at the moment(see occasional outbursts of aggression & catheters)Most of the time I fell as though I am living in a nightmare

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I am going through the same thing at the moment(see occasional outbursts of aggression & catheters)Most of the time I fell as though I am living in a nightmare
Hiya @ebas sorry you’re going through the same thing as me I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Yes it is a nightmare I just want to sit and cry.