Sectioning!

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I remember being in your situation. When I rang the Alzheimer’s helpline they told me to wait for the hospital to make the next move. Your poor mum would be equally distressed at home and there is nothing you can do to help her apart from insisting that the medical people do their job.

If your mum’s not eating and drinking it’ll make her more confused. I hope she’s been checked for infection or a TIA. I hope she can soon be calmed enough to accept help.

Do you have H&W LPA? You know when your mum says “Home” she means to her mum and dad. Get them to ask her where home is and who she lives with.

No I don’t have LPA for health only finances. I think the mental health team are going to try and push me into letting her go into respite. I’m going to ring the helpline now I have so many questions thank you x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Don’t worry about not having H&W. In my experience it doesn’t make a lot of difference unless you have another relative opposing your wishes.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Don’t worry about not having H&W. In my experience it doesn’t make a lot of difference unless you have another relative opposing your wishes.
Spoken to help line they are brilliant! They said I’m doing the right thing and don’t have to agree to have her home. They said she needs to be in hospital so they can sort her medication. I was afraid they would try and stick her in respite which is just swapping one babysitter fighting fires for another. X

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Rosserk, I read your first post when I couldn't sleep last night. What a nightmare. Hope they managed to get her properly assessed and her medication sorted pronto.
{{{hugs}}}

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
So glad the helpline has put your mind at rest. If you feel like you can visit her eventually,when you feel more able to cope, you can do so now , knowing that you won’t be expected to have her home unless you want her to.Thinking of you and hoping after this crisis, things settle down for you and your mum gets the help she needs.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hospital have told me they can send my mum to respite and there’s nothing I can do! I feel like I have to go and get her.

Don't fetch her. Hospital have to find a respite bed before they can move her which could take days. Ask to speak to the hospital social worker and speaks to NHS PALs immediately. They can liaise with the ward for you and tell you what is really going on.
I was told something different everytime I asked on the ward about dad. It wasn't until PALs were involved that I got any sort of satisfaction.
You are in the strongest position now to get the help you need. If you bring your mum home you're back to square one.
Dig your heels in!

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
While sending Mum to respite without your consent isn't what you want might it not actually help in this case? If they struggle to cope with Mum in the same way as you do they will refuse to look after her and insist that the hospital sort her medication out. It gives you even more backing. The faster the hospital accept that she needs her medication sorted the better for both of you. (((hugs)))

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Don't fetch her. Hospital have to find a respite bed before they can move her which could take days. Ask to speak to the hospital social worker and speaks to NHS PALs immediately. They can liaise with the ward for you and tell you what is really going on.
I was told something different everytime I asked on the ward about dad. It wasn't until PALs were involved that I got any sort of satisfaction.
You are in the strongest position now to get the help you need. If you bring your mum home you're back to square one.
Dig your heels in!
I’ve just spoke to pals they said there’s nothing I can do ! I said I’d like to make a complaint and she said do you have POA I said no she said you can’t make a complaint without POA!

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
While sending Mum to respite without your consent isn't what you want might it not actually help in this case? If they struggle to cope with Mum in the same way as you do they will refuse to look after her and insist that the hospital sort her medication out. It gives you even more backing. The faster the hospital accept that she needs her medication sorted the better for both of you. (((hugs)))
No I don’t want mum to suffer even longer. They are just swapping one baby sitter for another one! A care home can’t assess her medication.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’ve just spoke to pals they said there’s nothing I can do ! I said I’d like to make a complaint and she said do you have POA I said no she said you can’t make a complaint without POA!

I'm not sure I believe that. If you're getting nowhere ring Alz helpline again and see if they've come across this situation before. I can't believe you need POA to complain on behalf of someone who can't complain through lack of capacity.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I'm not sure I believe that. If you're getting nowhere ring Alz helpline again and see if they've come across this situation before. I can't believe you need POA to complain on behalf of someone who can't complain through lack of capacity.
That’s what they said.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Oh @Rosserk, how unhelpful. I agree about not having her home. If the same thing that ended her up in hospital in the first place doesn't happen tonight it will happen again very soon and you'll be back to square one.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I’ve replied to your other thread @Rosserk .

I suspect that whoever you spoke to doesn’t know what they’re talking about! Ask to speak to a manager.
I spoke to the senior manager of the Pals team. I said I can complain to your chief exec though and she said yes you can goodbye!

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
No I don’t want mum to suffer even longer. They are just swapping one baby sitter for another one! A care home can’t assess her medication.

Have they given you any update as to what is happening with the Mental Health referral ? Has it happened ? If not why not ? If it has, when are they due ? etc x

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016

They'll be swapping one very tired and stressed babysitter (you) with a team of babysitters who work shifts rather than 24/7. You can arrange to have your Mum's medication reviewed whilst in the care home. Mum went into a home for a 6 week stay on discharge from hospital specifically so that her medication could be reviewed by the mental health team.

(I've replied on your other thread about not needing a POA to make a complaint)

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
That is unbelievably unhelpful. Remember you don’t have to take your mum home. I do agree that letting her go to respite would be best for the reasons outlined by @Louise7 above. But let the hospital sort it out if they won’t keep her.

My dad was sent to an assessment bed from hospital in a carehome and eventually this lead to him getting the care he needed. It took a few weeks for the hospital to find him a suitable bed. You have reached the point where your mum needs a team of carers to keep her safe. She’s distressed and doesn’t recognise you so you’re not being cruel or uncaring by letting professional carers take over for now.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Have they given you any update as to what is happening with the Mental Health referral ? Has it happened ? If not why not ? If it has, when are they due ? etc x
Hi they phoned about 2 hours ago to say mental health team were sending someone to assess mum. They said they will then make decision on where to send her, hospital, secure unit or respite! I will be devastated if they send her to respite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brose