Section 2 mental health

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I know what you mean about the sleeping alone insomnia, I'll admit that I find living by myself is a lonely experience. We got together in 1976, seems so long ago now, were it not for my next door neighbours I could go all day and speak to nobody.
Something will happen next, it always does so keep smiling and wait for it to happen. K

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Hello everyone,
My husband’s infected leg is at long last responding to the antibiotics.
As I have already said,he is now on section 3. I spoke to the doctor yesterday and she is pleased that my husband is calmer and more settled. She also said that next week they are going to try and see how he is without 121 as this will enable him get a placement easier. Does this mean that it is a forgone conclusion that he won’t be able to return home?
He recognises me but it’s impossible to have a conversation with him, just meaningless phrases. He likes to carry folders around, keep pieces of paper inhis pocket ( says it’s money from his wallet) and today was wandering around with a rolled up bed sheet under his arm.He isn’t interested in food, pushes the plate away but is happy for me to feed him. He has continence issues and is wearing pads and pants. All ofthe above has happened since he was admitted to hospital.
He was and still is on antipsychotic medication., Will he qualify for a reduction in are home fees?
Thanks everyone, hope your weekend is going well.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Hello everyone,
My husband’s infected leg is at long last responding to the antibiotics.
As I have already said,he is now on section 3. I spoke to the doctor yesterday and she is pleased that my husband is calmer and more settled. She also said that next week they are going to try and see how he is without 121 as this will enable him get a placement easier. Does this mean that it is a forgone conclusion that he won’t be able to return home?
He recognises me but it’s impossible to have a conversation with him, just meaningless phrases. He likes to carry folders around, keep pieces of paper inhis pocket ( says it’s money from his wallet) and today was wandering around with a rolled up bed sheet under his arm.He isn’t interested in food, pushes the plate away but is happy for me to feed him. He has continence issues and is wearing pads and pants. All ofthe above has happened since he was admitted to hospital.
He was and still is on antipsychotic medication., Will he qualify for a reduction in are home fees?
Thanks everyone, hope your weekend is going well.
@Skylark/2 my PWD was on a section 3 and when they were discharged from the ward they are what is called a 117 so the full cost was covered partially by the nhs and partly by social care. The placement was organised by the chess team from the memory clinic and they also sorted out the funding.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m glad his leg is now improving @Skylark/2

It sounds like they are thinking of care homes if talking about placements. If he can manage without 121 that will widen the options.

And yes, the big advantage of section 3 is that you will have no fees to pay!

I hope you’re adjusting ok xxx

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
He will get section 117 aftercare and this will be financed. When I questioned the social worker for my mum about this, she assured me that it was a done deal and wouldn’t change. I am aware that sometimes a person can be asked for a top up to 117 funding , this is the only time a person with dementia can be asked to top up their own care costs if they have the funds. But you can’t cross that bridge unless you get to it so for now let the hospital find the best placement for him ( they won’t want him back so they should find a good placement) . Once they have done this all the finance etc will be managed by them, you shouldn’t have to do anything.

Skylark/2

Aug 22, 2022
Hello everyone,

I hope someone will be able to advise. Just a quick recap. My husband was admitted to a dementia/hospital unit under section 2. When this came to an end he went to a section three and has been under section 3 for four weeks. Whilst there he had a nasty cellulitis infection that has now cleared up. He had just started antipsychoti medication and is on a low dose which has brought his aggression under control. However, he now shuffled along, head bent, doesn’t make sense if he talks ( I can’t follow his train of thought) eats and drinks o.k, has to wear incontinence pants ( incase of accidents?) still sundowns, shows no interest in anything.
The reason I am writing this down is because I have been given a date for a discharge planning meeting on 10/4. Sadly I don’t feel I can care for him at home, I was at breaking point before he was admitted and feel my mental health would deteriorate if I had to look after him. I am concerned that the professionals at the meeting will put pressure on me to have him home. I have kept a diary these last 3 years, it makes ‘ interesting’ reading, there is only myself to look after him, no family nearby.
Is there anything I can say or do to convince them that I really cannot look after him anymore. I love him to bits ( 54 years married ) but this dreadful disease has and will continue to do, brought me to my knees.
I know the social worker will suggest community nurses coming in to the home etc., but they won’t be there 24/7, 365 days. They will go home, rest, recharge their batteries ready for the next day.
Any advice please, starting to worry about what to say. Thank you

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Any advice please, starting to worry about what to say. Thank you
I’m so sorry you’re in this position.

I would advise telling them up front, right at the start of the meeting, that you will absolutely not have him home. And stick to it, no matter what they say. It’s their responsibility to find a suitable place for him, and you aren’t it. Don’t listen to their arguments and don’t be swayed.

This isn’t about you being uncaring, it’s about keeping both of you safe.

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
@Skylark/2 I can’t offer any advice, others are much more experienced than I am but I just wanted to send you a very big hug and to say you’re doing great so far. Be strong about not having him at home. 🤗

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Oh dear @Skylark/2 you really should not be put in this situation after all that you have been through. All I can do is advise you to say NO loud and clear. No you cannot look after him at home because of your own health and wellbeing. But also because of his, he needs that on going 24/7 care that you are no longer able to provide. SS have the duty of care not you.
I would also suggest contacting the AS helpline for advice, I am sorry but cannot attach a link as I am on my mobile.

Safi

Apr 2, 2020
My husband also had a history of cellulitis, have they put him on blood thinners? This often helps. Think you should be honest with SS about how you feel about him coming home. You have to think of yourself. The best outcome would be a more permanent placement for him, good luck x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
As @SeaSwallow says it might be useful to contact the support line for advice -

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Hello @Skylark/2 please try not to worry too much. I think after being sectioned, the evidence is clearly there that your husband needs 24 hour care in a secure setting.
Take bullet points from your diary of the different events that have occured at home, aggression, police intervention, etc etc. Your posts over time make harrowing reading too.
Stand firm, refuse to have him home. His needs cannot be met by you any longer, regardless of at home carers. Wishing you luck on the 10th April.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi @Skylark/2 , I echo what the others are saying about stating you can no longer look after him but it is possible a discharge meeting is about a Nursing home placement.
My husband remains in a Nursing Home despite him wanting to come home. The issues that are important to emphasise are the safety issues both his and yours. Sundowning which can be managed in a secure enviroment but is difficult to manage in a home they can leave. Nighttime issues is he up during the night? My husband was firmly told that he could not be looked after at home because he is up most of the night and is most aggressive then. Waking night carers are incredibly expensive. Social services will know a Nursing Home is cheaper.
Try and get some info from the staff about how many interventions they are making especially at night.
Good luck

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Now it's gone to section 3 then should he go into a care or nursing home the costs will be funded under section 117 aftercare, so free.
If you feel you can't cope say so, quite loudly, you've done enough. Have a read up on section 117 funding. K

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
I would think the discharge meeting would be more about where he will be placed rather than sending him home. SS wanted to place my husband in another Care Home and I fought them and got him home but that was my choice. You do need to be strong and get your views across at the meeting. Have you managed to speak to any of the staff at the Dementia Unit? They will have a very good idea of what is best for him and you. The staff who looked after my husband were convinced he would be better at home and as it was what I wanted, they worked towards that. Try to speak to one of the senior staff or even the doctor. I found them to be very helpful and honest (obviously depends on the unit) and helped me to overcome my doubts when I had them.

Good luck at the meeting. I was told to stay away the day before and build up my strength. Boy, did I need that!! Be strong, don't give in to their demands. The meeting will be very daunting because there will be a lot of people there but stay strong and force them to listen to you.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Just say no. And to be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if the meeting suggests residential care anyway. He is on section 3 and will now get 117 aftercare and funding, that is not up for discussion. The bit that is important here is the aftercare, it is now down to social services and the NHS to ensure that he will not be readmitted due to an unsafe discharge, they have a duty under the mental health act.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
You will almost definitely need to stand your ground at the meeting and be absolutely resolute in saying that will not have your husband home under any circumstances. If necessary use the broken record technique and tell them you’re prepared to walk away completely if he’s discharged to your address with a care package in place. Being in a put in a position where you feel forced to care for someone with complex needs isn’t something that should happen to anyone. Is there anyone who could attend the meeting with you?. There will probably be a number of people there and these situations can certainly feel like them against you. Good luck.